“Calm, Peaceful and Lovely!”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #7 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Casablanca, which is a sister hotel to The Library Hotel, and we much prefer The Library because of it's location. It is so calm and peaceful here and it is the perfect location to get around anywhere in NYC! We stayed for 5 nights and our first night we were in the Petite Room which I do not recommend because it is very small and has a small full bed. My husband and I are thin and we felt claustrophobic in that size room. The next 4 nights we upgraded to the "Deluxe", which has a queen bed, and it was perfect. Arman, at the front desk, was very kind and helped us to find the right room. We appreciated his care and concern for our comfort. The hotel is very clean and the furnishings and ambiance are lovely. If you love books and reading, then you will love this hotel. The breakfast and Happy Hour are delicious. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The Petite room is very very small!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Angelrose12

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Whenever I stay in Manhattan, I do my best to stay at the Library Hotel. The staff treats you very well when you arrive. It is a healthy and tranquil oasis located in the heart of Manhattan. I also like the convenient restaurant attached to it, and most of all, the value laden free breakfast!

Marc R
Philadelphia, PA

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Marc R
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at The Library several times since my initial review a couple of years ago, and remain thrilled with this property. It has the formula for remaining consistently at the top of its game. Location, staff, cleanliness and value are the reasons I return. Remember it is a boutique hotel and with that comes small elevators and street noise. If this might be a bother to you, consider one of the many larger hotels in the city with service entrances and hermetically sealed windows. The research is out there, it is best to make a match for your particular needs. The only time I stay at another hotel in the city is if I need two beds in a room, in which case I stay at the sister property, the Elysee. There was that one mistake last Fall when I had to book eight rooms and the Library properties were sold out ...ended up at The Tuscany (ugh), but that's a review for another day. Also, a shout out to Billy, who is always so welcoming and such a cheerful presence. As my ten year old says "he's clutch!"

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank detroitmom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed in library hotel for 3 nights for the first time. I chose this hotel because of its reviews in trip advisor which it ended up to be a great decision.
Booking was very easy with best price through their website. We also got an early check-in as our flight arrived at noon. I had already mentioned that it's our anniversary but we didn't receive any special treat that you usually get in at least hight end hotels. Although this was just an observation but I thought to write it down here. Staff from receptionists, concierge, servers, and cleaners are all super friendly, professional, and attentive. Rooms are very clean with nice decoration, lighting, and comfortable beds. Few criticisms about rooms:
1) even Deluxe room was very small. We are petit people but by travelling in winter with winter
cloths you need a bit more space. My suggestion is having at least a stand in corner of room for jackets/ coats with leave more spot for other stuff.
2) drain in tub and bathroom sink was slow (our room was in 8th floor), which probably need some maintenance.
3) I didn't understand the dynamic between management and staff, but I was surprised to hear that bell boy stated : "do not use the mini-bar because it's too expensive and even if you touch the items they are considered as used and hotel will charge you"!!!
4) Wifi in the room was very slow, however you could have excellent connection in lounge/ lobby or use business room with provided desktops.

You will find amazing collection of books in the rooms as well as the lounge which is great to
enjoy reading along with breakfast/ all day snacks or during evening complementary wine&cheese. (nice touch of this hotel). Also I highly recommend to check out the roof top lounge which is excellent for after hours drink or relaxing in a very romantic ambience.

I couldn't emphasize more on the location. Walking distance to shopping district/ high end restaurants/ subway/ grand train or bus stations.

I'm really grateful of the overall service we received in Library Hotel. We will definitely go back particularly because of cleanliness and location. Maybe next time we should try Junior suite if available for more space.

4  Thank MaxNel
LibraryHotel, General Manager at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear MaxNel,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s wonderful to hear that you found out about us on TripAdvisor and overall had an enjoyable experience. I greatly appreciate your kind comments about all of our staff, the cleanliness of our rooms, and the Reading Room, our guest lounge where you enjoyed breakfast, refreshments, and our evening wine & cheese reception.

We take great pride in making our guests’ stay memorable so I am mortified that although you mentioned you were celebrating your anniversary, we failed to provide the very special welcome and congratulations you most certainly deserved. We realize what an important occasion this was for you and your wife so I cannot apologize enough for this oversight. Hopefully, you will give us an opportunity to make up for it when you stay at the Library Hotel in the future.

I’m disappointed to hear that you experienced a few other issues throughout your stay. We always urge guests to alert us to problems immediately so we have the opportunity to fix them for you. Often, a clogged drain will just take a few minutes for our maintenance team to resolve.

The interaction you had with the bellman that brought you up to your room was a bit shocking to read. While it is true that our minibars are weight sensitive and charges may be posted to your account if items are moved around, we would never charge you for any items you did not consume. Upon check-out our Front Desk Agents always double check all minibar charges before taking a final payment. I've spoken with all of our bellmen and reviewed the proper etiquette when introducing our guests to their room so that our amenities are not misunderstood. I am also happy to share we will be replacing our minibars with a small refrigerator so guests can store personal perishables in their room and order any minibar items by request.

I’m thrilled to hear that you will become a repeat guest of ours even though there were a few bumps. Please feel free to contact me directly at Robert@libraryhotel.com when you’re looking to book your next stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you again soon!

All the best,
Robert Rawlins

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My 14 year old daughter and I recently spent 6 days/5 nights in New York City. It was our first visit to NYC and the Library Hotel provided the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of NYC. It was super clean, which is a much needed condition after spending time on the subways. The rooms are comfortable and homey with plenty of seating for relaxing. If one becomes tired of ones room, the guest spaces on the 2nd floor and 14th floor are wonderful alternatives. Lastly, the hotel could not have been more accommodating with our schedule as we arrived on a red-eye and our room wasn't ready. The front desk called me at 8:30 AM to offer one room category immediately available for occupancy, but we decided to wait for the Fairy Tale room. Shortly after lunch, we received a second call that the Fairy Tale room was ready and we were welcome to check in early. Lastly, for those of you not used to the more "brusque" manner of service industry people in NYC, the staff at the Library Hotel was so charming and so helpful...not a scowl to be seen on any face and each person from the busboy to the attendant in the breakfast room was kind and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jessie M
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We spent a lovely long weekend at the Library Hotel. I chose the hotel for its excellent location and because I'm a book lover. The service was friendly and attentive, our room ("Economics") was charming and very clean (always most important), and we appreciated the complimentary breakfasts and coffee on the 2nd floor. We dined twice at Madison & Vine, and had a pleasant, relaxing time on both occasions. We were glad to have a nice restaurant in the hotel when we arrived late on our first night and when we returned to the hotel, exhausted, after walking our feet off a few nights later. All in all, I would recommend this hotel highly. I had only one small criticism and that was that there was no sink in the washroom (it was just outside the door), which means one must wash one's hands in the tub or touch the doorknob before washing.
One other note, not a criticism, but a head's up for future guests: if you want a coffee maker in your room, you must ask to have one sent up. We didn't notice the card in our room that indicated this until our final day, so we got our morning coffees from the Starbucks across the street. Next time we stay, we'll request the coffee maker; it's always nice to have coffee in bed when you're on holiday.

2  Thank NatalielovesNYC

Dear NatalielovesNYC,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I’m delighted to hear that you found our rooms charming and clean. From our housekeeping staff to our Front Desk Agents, one of our top priorities is to fulfill all of our guests’ needs so I am so pleased you found our service to be friendly and attentive. We always hope guests will take advantage of the 2nd floor Reading Room and all the complimentary amenities that we offer so I’m happy to hear you appreciated the refreshments and breakfast. Did you have a chance to join us for the evening wine & cheese reception? If not, you definitely must the next time you stay with us!

I sincerely apologize that the location of the sink was not where you expected. I completely understand how this could be inconvenient but because of the cozy layout of all our Petite Rooms, the sink is always separate from the bathroom. The good news is that this is only the case in our Petite Rooms; since the Deluxe Rooms and Junior Suites are a bit larger, they all have sinks inside the bathroom. I have made a note in your profile about your preference but would also suggest perhaps booking a Deluxe Room or Junior Suite if you stay with us in the future.

I have also noted in your profile a request for a coffee maker to be placed in room before you arrive. I completely agree that it’s nice to have coffee in bed especially when on holiday so I’m devastated that you didn’t see our “Escape to Serenity” list until your final day. Did you find that its location was not prominent enough? We always place the card on the table next to the bed but if it’s so easily missed, we may have to rethink its placement. I welcome any kind of additional feedback you may have regarding this so we can make sure future guests don’t encounter the same problem.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional comments at robert@libraryhotel.com We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Library Hotel again very soon!

All the best,
Robert Rawlins

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife took me here as a surprise birthday present so I was not involve in the booking or know how much it cost. From what my wife was saying, she kept on emailing Tim with constant questions and request and he was more than helpful and replied very quickly.

The service from start to finish was impeccable and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Most live local and have a great knowledge of placed to go and see. I cannot remember the name of the bellboy, I think Alvin (forgive me if im wrong), but he was born and bred in NY and was so helpful and friendly it made the trip so must easier (you will know him if you meet him).

My wife upgraded the room to a deluxe because the hotel were very clear on the room sizes. They are not huge but more than enough for a couple sharing and lets face it, who stays in the room the whole trip when staying in New York.

The hotel was extremely clean and the maid service was spot on with a turn down service every night. The hotel offers free breakfast which is nice and fresh, they have a free cheese and wine evening everyday from 5-8, and a roof top bar which was very nice to have a couple of drinks in before going out.

I read a few reviews when I got back and please do not take notice of the bad ones, the WiFi speed was very good (I work in IT) and people moaning about the rooms need to read what they are booking. My wife said when she booked she was constantly reminded about the size of the rooms which in my opinion were not that small. Everything in the hotel complexity outweighs the room size. I read a few reviews that said the hotel decor was old, they must have had a refurb as this is defiantly not the case.

Overall, the staff could not help enough, the hotel has been decorated to a high standard and is very modern, and I would book again tomorrow if i were to go back to New York.

4  Thank Adam P