“Perfect Experience.”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 11, 2013

From the moment we checked in until our departure four days later, our stay at the Library Hotel was perfection. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. The clerk/concierge called me as soon as our room was available to check in- after storing our luggage so we could begin our exploration of the city.

The location of the hotel was perfect for us. We were so close to everything we wanted to see- WTC Memorial was a quick subway trip away, Times Square was within blocks and of course the beautiful city itself was all around us.

The amenities of the hotel are exemplary. From the continental breakfast, to the afternoon snacks, to the turn down service, we were pampered all day long. I loved the coffee machine in the reading room (where breakfast was served). I was able to quickly make a cappuccino or latte for myself throughout the day. The breakfast was also wonderful- the staff is available to toast a bagel or make some oatmeal or help in any way possible. Really wonderful.

We so enjoyed our trip and are looking forward to staying at the Library Hotel the next time we travel to NYC. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just returned from spending a week at the Library Hotel and my husband and I loved it! The location was great, convenient to public transportation everywhere, a short walk to Bryant Park or Grand Central Station, and 5th avenue shopping. One block to the M42 bus to Times Square shows and Water Taxi, Circle Line, and Intrepid Museum at Pier 84. Staff at the hotel couldn't have been friendlier. We loved the 2nd floor lounge for breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese. It was a great place to relax between forays into the city. The 14th floor open air patio spaces were also great areas to plan the day. The rooms are small, but the high ceilings, big windows and modern decor kept it from feeling cramped, even after a week. I felt like the area surrounding the hotel was really safe, compared to hotels closer to Times Square.

It was my birthday so when we arrived a bottle of wine was waiting in the room along with a birthday card from the hotel! Our room was immaculate and so were all areas within the hotel. Because this is such a small hotel, the service is very personal and the other guests were friendly. If you prefer an intimate setting to a large franchise hotel, you will enjoy staying at the Library Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 9th floor and could barely hear any street traffic unless there was a police ca...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a charming, tidy and clean boutique hotel! If you love books and want a little quiet escape after a busy day, stay here! My husband and I, and our 8 year-old had a Jr. Suite on the 5th floor (Math & Science floor), which afforded nice views of Madison and 41st. The Jr. Suites are spacious with a King bed and sofa bed, but keep in mind 3 people to a room is max. Each room features a theme from a section of a library. Our room was Astronomy; next door was Dinosaurs!

Customer service was fantastic. The staff is eager to help with restaurant reservations, directions or show tickets. The friendly bell/door man greets you and will hail you a cab.

Complimentary breakfast, snacks, and a wine and cheese happy hour (5-8pm daily) are available, in abundance! So convenient when you've been out all day, and want to come "home" to refresh for the evening. The servers are very pleasant - they'll greet you warmly and offer you wine, prosecco, and coffee. They promptly replenish the food. Pastries and fresh fruit are available throughout the day.

Location is great. Madison & Vine restaurant is attached to the hotel, and there is a bar at the rooftop. Starbucks is across the street, and Grand Central is a short walk if you need to catch the subway or train.

Only complaint would be the air conditioning unit in the room, which was very loud - but we got used to it after a few days. And did you know? For a restful sleep, you can borrow Sleep Phones, which are comfortable eye masks with ear phones connected to a little iPod that plays calming meditation tunes. I didn't think the street noise was loud, but this may be an option if you're a light sleeper.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Check their website often for discounts and promotions, and book online.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent stay. The accomadations were charming (we had a suite with three people) and very clean. We were there for four days and housekeeping really paid attention to our needs by observing what we used. Without even asking we were given tons more pillows (one of my friends sleeps with five), extra bottled water (it was July when we were there) and extra towels (all girls!). The spare bed was turned down and ready every night when we came back and the sheets were completely changed daily on both beds. And a delightful touch was a written weather forecast for the coming day that was left with the nightly chocolates. Truely, the housekeeping was the one of the most professional that I have experienced and I have traveled worldwide.
As for our room, it was on the 10th floor at the front of the hotel and had great views of the McKim, Mead and White Public Library. However, my favorite spot in the entire hotel was the rooftop terrace. It had an outdoor space with well maintained plants, a glassed conservatory with fun fabric couches / chairs and a second area with cozy leather couches and a glass roof. For some reason we had this space to ourselves every morning we were there which was phenomenal. It is also a fun bar in the evenings too!
The breakfast every morning is a good assortment ... what's not to like about a chocolate croissant and a latte! And the cheese reception in the evening is a great selection with nice wines as well. And once again, the service is great!
And to rave about the staff once more ... the front desk and the doorman ... both were outstanding. With the many choices for hotels in NYC, I definitely think this may well be my new hotel of choice on any future stays in the city. (And my two friends were also completely delighted with our time spent at the Library Hotel)

Room Tip: Each room has a book theme ... ours was new media. So if you are a book nut like we are, tell them w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hotel itself, location is fantastic, near everything, and it has that boutique feeling about it which makes the experience luxurious and cosy at the same time. Excellent and friendly staff. Considering the location, quality and complimentary wifi, breakfast, water bottles and wine and cheese in the evenings, this was excellent value.

Room Tip: Petite is big enough a room for a vacation stay. Sure, not much closet space but i tend not to unpac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sellai
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was our second time staying at the library and I'm glad we decided to return. This may just become our NYC hotel for good. I'll write the pros and cons, I think it is easiest for others to read that way:

Pros: Staff is super friendly. We recognized some of the same staff from our stay over a year ago and it was comforting to see them again. They are always willing to help and give advice. They also paid attention to my request for a quiet room (I had typed it into the comments section when I booked the hotel room onilne). Some hotels completely ignore any request you make online. The location is great. A block away from grand central station which means you can get anywhere you need to be quickly from this hotel. The area surrounding the hotel is very safe and lots of places to eat and drink surrounding the hotel. Breakfast and happy hour are included in the price and the breakfast room and rooftop are cozy places to eat/drink. I really recommend taking your breakfast to the rooftop if the weather permits. The rooms are clean which is my number 1 concern at any hotel. The hotel in general is very quite. I didn't hear much street noise at all.

Cons: The rooms are small (I'm not commenting on the suites since I have not stayed in one) but the regular rooms run small. It is NYC, so I don't expect an enormous room, but my husband and I are not large people and it still seemed small. That being said, the small space makes it feel a bit cozy so it doesn't really bother me much. The bathrooms don't have much counter space which isn't ideal for most women. The bed linens could stand to be a bit softer.

I definitely recommend to anyone traveling to NYC

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovevacas
Reviewed July 3, 2013

A cute hotel in a good location and I really enjoyed my stay. The room was clean, in good condition and was a nice respite from the busy city. Staff were friendly and polite. My review is a few years late but I was impressed by how nice the Library was - hence my bothering to write the review today.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple