“Look forward to return visit.”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently had a 10 night stay at this quirky boutique hotel. The room was small but had everything a traveller could need. Breakfast was good with a wide selection cereal, toast, rolls, etc All the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient .The wine and cheese reception was a great way to end the day. Madison and Vine, the restaurant attached to the hotel, provided very good New York sized meals in a casual, pleasant atmosphere.Very well situated, 150 metres from Grand Central Station, and right on a number of bus routes.
The only negative comment is the rooms were far too hot.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,255)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I am a requent traveler to New York City, and whenever I can, I stay at the Library Hotel on 41st Street, just off Madison. It's a small boutique hotel with impeccable service, cosy and well-appointed rooms (with lots of plugs for electronics) and the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever encountered. The theme is books - and there are book collections in every room plus the second floor breakfast and lounging room, which is like being in a New York brownstone. A lot of the clientele are from abroad, and it's easy to strike up conversations over breakfast (continental and included), tea and cookies or fruit (available all day) or the free wine and cheese offered in the early evening. It's a bibliophile's paradise, and very conveniently located to Grand Central Station, the New York Public Library, the theater district and mid-town. The concierge has always given me a great dinner recommendation. And after your first visit, the staff treats you like an old friend. I'd move in if I could!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank VLBCambridge
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My new wife & I ( married on the day we arrived in new York) stayed at the library hotel for 3 nights from Monday 18th march. From the point we contacted the hotel to let them know we would be checking in late @ 1am & asking them to arrange a car pick up their service has been 5* and I'm a very picky individual. The employees are all genuinely warm & welcoming, nothing is ever too much trouble. The location is amazing, just around the corner from grand central station & Bryant park. We ended up getting the metro & air train to jfk. Subway ride was$2.75 & the AirTrAin is $5. Our advice is to use the metro journey planner as it saved our feet a lot & we consider ourselves fit too!

I researched this hotel a lot and advise you to book through the hotels website directly and use the booklovers deal where you get 20% off for paying straight away. The breakfast is top notch & they even had take away cup options which was a bonus.

We are returning here in 8 days & can't wait to see everyone again. If you like a historic hotel with a great bar & restaurant you must stay here. There was no other hotel we could see that was more suited to us.

P.s try the deli next door, they are so friendly and the sandwiches are fab!

2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed March 23, 2013

It was probably because the two of us chose the tiniest room option, but the petite room was truly the smallest room I have ever stayed in (smaller than Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs, I guarantee you). There was space enough in the room for a twin-sized bed and a desk, and perhaps a foot of space between the bed and the television/fridge/closet. The bathroom was fine in size; the tub and toilet separated from the sink by a door.

Nonetheless, the one thing I cannot fault this hotel with is its prime location in the absolute center of everything. It is practically on the doorsteps of the New York Public Library and Bryant Park, a handy location to serve as a starting point to any excursion throughout Manhattan. A stroll right down the hotel's street (Madison Ave) or a skip down to the next parallel street (Fifth Ave) brings you to all the shops and brand names you might want in your closet.

The bed was soft enough and my favorite part was that the hotel offers DVDs (of the top 100 films and some others) for your enjoyment for free. Breakfast was provided for free, but there is also a great (and very cheap) Japanese food court-esque place a few doors down, Cafe Zaiya, which has amazing selections of pastries, drinks, and foods.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank londoninlights
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Library Hotel for the first time this past week. I wish all hotels provided such great service. Although our visit was short they made us feel very special. I especially loved all the little extras like the wine and cheese in the evening and tea and pastries in the afternoon. I will definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Fantastic find which I absolutely cannot fault. Staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms were immaculate, complimentary breakfast and evening cheese and wine reception were a lovely bonus. Great central location but really quiet compared to other hotels I have stayed at. Will definitely return and would recommend hotel to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor facing south and it was grand.
2  Thank Chris_Duffy_84
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this week we love this place! We have stayed at all of their other hotels and they all have great service and European charm but the Library is our favorite for the location and the book themed rooms. The Dewey Decimal room numbers, the breakfast, the wine and cheese in the afternoon and fantastic staff, wish we could have stayed longer. The building is so interesting if you look at it from the Madison Ave side it looks very narrow but inside feels spacious and the books everywhere give it a comfortable homelike feel. Such great design! Plus did I mention location, location, location!