“The best little hotel in NYC”

Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #6 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this week we love this place! We have stayed at all of their other hotels and they all have great service and European charm but the Library is our favorite for the location and the book themed rooms. The Dewey Decimal room numbers, the breakfast, the wine and cheese in the afternoon and fantastic staff, wish we could have stayed longer. The building is so interesting if you look at it from the Madison Ave side it looks very narrow but inside feels spacious and the books everywhere give it a comfortable homelike feel. Such great design! Plus did I mention location, location, location!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,221)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 6 nights.
We stayed in the petite room- the room was small but that was expected.
Complimentary breakfast and cheese & wine in the evening.
Great location!
Only thing we didn't enjoy was the fact the bed was hard.
But other then that we can not fault this hotel!

1  Thank Diane G
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Di-XOX,

Thank you for sharing your rave review! I have made a note on your guest profile that next time you stay we will be glad to have a foam or feather mattress topper on the bed for you to soften your bed and suit your preferences. I wish we had known while you were here as we could have handled that in minutes, but I thank you for mentioning this now. Your comment gives me the opportunity to let all of our future guests and members of the TripAdvisor community know that we recently launched a sleep program offering a range of amenities such as feather bed mattress toppers, pillows, extra blankets and sleep aids to help our guests get a better night’s sleep. I’m sorry if these options were not effectively communicated to you. Since it would appear you did not notice our in-room signage, I would love to hear your thoughts on how we could have made it more visible to you. We are currently trying to come up with ideas on how we can ensure every guest knows about all of the complimentary amenities available to help make every stay with us more comfortable.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon. Now that I’ve already taken the liberty of adding some bedding options to your profile, the next time you’re with us you will have a nice fluffy bed waiting for you. I hope to hear from you soon!

All the best,
Robert Rawlins
Director of Sales & Marketing
Robert@libraryhotel.com

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We spent 5 nights here and from check in, to check out all the staff were pleasant & helpfull.We stayed on the 8th Flr in a Junior Suite.The room was a good size,with great views of Madison Ave.The food in the mornings is plentiful and the staff are constantly topping it up,they will also do oatmeal for you,there is a list to choose your toppings.The cheese & wine is very nice & relaxed,and perfect before you go out.The towels & bathrobes were lovely & soft.
Turn down service includes the next day weather report & Belgian Chocolates a nice touch.
Don't forget to visit the rooftop bar 14th Flr

There isn't much more to say except this was our 5th trip to NY & having stayed at different hotels we will definitely return here,this is a lovely hotel.
The location is perfect with Grand Central Terminal minutes away,even after checking out we were still allowed to sit in the reading room & have tea,coffee pastries whilst waiting for our pick up.

Room Tip: If you can choose a Junior Suite Pershing Square opposite Grand Central Terminal is a great place f...
1  Thank skeeter68
Reviewed March 19, 2013

How clever of our daughter to choose this Hotel for us! We came to celebrate a special birthday and everything was perfect. A superb location, lovely comfortable room, and such helpful and friendly staff. New York was better than expected, with friendly
people and so much to see. Can't wait to visit again - as long as we can stay at the Library
Hotel .....

Room Tip: I would think any room would be great.
1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Book lover or not, you will enjoy this unique boutique hotel in the heart of NYC. It is brilliant how they have worked a library system into the accommodations, service is over the top, the rooms are impeccable and oh so quiet for a mid city hotel. Michelle and Amaan were extremely helpful in guiding us to restaurants during restaurant week. I cannot say enough about this gem of a hotel! The complimentary wine reception was more than my husband and I expected and the breakfast was very, very good as continental's go. Check-in was a breeze. The Writer's Den offered the perfect cocktails but unfortunately, it was too cold to venture out on the terrace. My husband and I will have to return when the weather turns to take full advantage of the terrace and the view it affords. I have stayed at many, many top class hotels but I have to say this one has the cozy niche that you sometimes look for. I would highly recommend it to anyone. There was a mix of business, couples and leisure guests, so I would not be inclined to say it is for one group or another. I would, however, not recommend this for families with small children.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My partner and I visited NYC for the first time to celebrate NYE; the entire week was one of the most amazing experiences, enhanced by one of the best city hotels we have ever stayed in! Everything about the Library Hotel has been carefully considered. The customer service was second to none, the location was superb and the rooms were cosy and perfect for a rest after a long day sight seeing! The themed aspect of the hotel was cleverly done, not over the top, but a bit of fun - my partner and I were placed in the Erotic Literature room! The complimentary breakfast offered a great selection and was very much appreciated, whilst room service from the restaurant was of a very high quality. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in NYC!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adamfryett
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love the well-designed snug little double rooms with all the books, as we always have --even better than a bigger room we tried once. Someday maybe we'll even get the luck of the draw and score a room that features some books we'd especially enjoy like Mysteries or Fiction. But the best feature is the second-floor Reading Room where we enjoyed breakfast that included protein (eggs) and homemade oatmeal (new offering since our last stay) as well as the usual good coffee and pastries. Ask for soy milk if you are lactose-intolerant as I am now. And the late-afternoon wine period offers hospitality to guests and their guests, for which we made ample use with local family and friends.

Room Tip: Watch for specials for exceptionally good value!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family