All reviewsbreakfast attendanthallways are narrowsingle roomwindow unitfree breakfaststay there againyogurtchest of drawersper nightconvenient locationbed was comfortablegrand central stationtimes squaremanhattanblocksubwaystarbucks
Reviewed August 1, 2008

The Clarion on Park Avenue South is a small, older hotel that you can get for cheap (paid $189/night). When I stayed there, they were replacing the furniture in all the rooms, which meant that the already very small lobby was filled to the ceiling with nightstands and headboards, making it impossible to sit in the lobby and enjoy their free wifi.
The afternoon I checked in (at 3:15; the sign at the lobby said check in was any time after 3) I was told my room was getting new furniture and to come back in an hour. No apologies, and the clerk was did not seem the least bit concerned that I would be put out by this. I made a fuss at the desk, and within a few minutes was checked in. (funny thing, the next morning, the sign behind the desk showed that check in was 5pm)
Room had very old furniture, carpet was worn, and the bathroom was really tiny. I don't even think the tub was full sized.
Plusses were: flat screen tv, and a/c worked really well, centrally located, near the subway.
For $189, it's okay.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Traveling_Vicki
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed here for one night in July 2008. The room was small and bathroom even smaller but every thing was clean and well kept. The bed was extremely comfortable and bed linens soft. We had a street view of park ave and the traffic noise was not bad. We turned the AC on & I had earplugs just in case but didn't need them. The continental breakfast was nice but had a small selection. We would probably stay here again, as it was reasonably priced and in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I had the opportunity to visit during the July 4th weekend this year, and my travel partner and I stayed at the Clarion Park Av S for the two nights we were in town.

Plusses:
- Helpful and friendly staff.
- Bathroom was immaculate.
- COMFY bed. Very nice pillows. Summertime included a duvet cover if you like to have one over you with the air conditioning on.
- A short (5 block) walk to the M16 bus that will take you to either the Port Authority Bus Terminal or Penn Station.
- Excellent air conditioning controlled by boarders.
- Decent breakfast bar located near the rear of the first floor (excellent for those that don't really have time for a sit-down restaurant, or don't feel like McDonalds).
- Near (one block from) the 28th Street subway station (6 line) that will whisk you down to 14th Street/Union Square (Greenwich Village).
- Safe and quiet street after hours.

Negatives:
- Room was tiny, but how long do you actually spend in a hotel room if you're sightseers? Luggage had to sit on the floor next to the desk since there isn't really room for a luggage rack.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Just got back from a weekend getaway with my significant other. Sure the room was small (but if you are in NYC you should probably not spend too much time inside anyways) and our window looked onto a brick wall, but the room was clean and the bed linens were amazingly soft! The flat screen TV was a nice touch. The front desk staff was helpful.

Very close to 28th street station and Les Halles Restaurant. Good neighborhood.

Reviewed May 15, 2008

I just stayed here for 3 nights on business and would prefer not to stay again if it can be avoided. There is nothing horribly wrong except the size of the room.

I had a single room with a twin bed. As another review mentioned, there is very little room for any luggage and the room is so small that the small desk and chair compete with the bathroom door. I am not a tall person and I felt uncomfortably crowded in the small shower stall. I would absolutely not recommend a twin bed room in this hotel to most men and anyone over 5'5" tall. The bed was not too comfortable and had one sad, uncomfy pillow. I only stopped in the breakfast room once to get a drink and what I saw looked sad, like convenience store rejects.

Now for the good points: the staff were fairly prompt, courteous and helpful (something you can't say for many hotels supposedly better than this), the room was quite clean, the location is safe and convenient - 1 block to the 6 train, starbucks across the street and many good restaurants around, the internet is included and always worked perfectly, tv was good, the place was quiet .

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)