“Better than what I was expecting”

Clarion Hotel Park Avenue
Ranked #369 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Corona
“Better than what I was expecting”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Let's face the facts shall we? NYC is Expensive, with a capital E. This was a work trip, so I was spending their dough, not mine. But still, I feel like it needs to be spent wisely, so I stayed here. At almost $300 a night, that's not cheap for a room that felt like it was less than 30% bigger than the bed (a double), was. However, it was clean and comfortable. Just not 'luxury' in any sense of the word, and when I spend that much money per night, that's what I expect. Just not in NYC.

Would I stay there again? Sure, not a problem. It's a great location for me, due to its proximity to the office. And on Park Ave, you can find some great restaurants and shopping if you are so inclined. The available small continental breakfast in the morning was better than nothing and not bad either. The staff was cordial, not overly friendly and not objectionable. They had very little impact on my stay. One of my colleagues complained about the doors being locked up at 11pm, and not able to get in or out - would’ve been annoying had it happened to me.

One downside worth mentioning is the stairs – they were so steep, it seemed like you were climbing a small cliff, with a handrail. Not to be used with luggage of any kind in my opinion. The elevator was slow and small but it worked just fine.

If this location works for you, then this hotel is not a bad option – just don’t expect a whole lot for your money. But you may find that you’re spending a lot less of it here, than you might at another place not far from this one, so the discount might make it all worthwhile; it did for me!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Malmö, Sverige
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Perfect end to a perfect holiday!
Stayed here the two last nights after a 20 day long holiday that started in NYC, Miami and then back to NYC to this perfectly situated and Quiet Clarion Hotel in the middle of everything in the middle of Manhattan.

Perhaps the only thing that bothered was the lack of noise isolation in the door to your room.
I even heard my AC from outside the room - so the situation could be awkward if you meet your neighbors in the hall and are there for a Love Weekend or similar!

Since I traveled by my self I actually even forgot to tell the Front Office!

Really great staff and nice breakfast in the morning!

Room Tip: Rooms in the end of the hallways can be better / since no one goes pass them perhaps.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tony I
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was there for 4 nights. Room on the small side. Claustrophobic if your windows are overlooking fire escape and wall of the next building. Air-condition unit is quite loud, so if you want to sleep and not sweat, buy earplugs. Breakfast is continental style, limited choice, but serves its need. The only problem I got was that breakfast room opened at 7am. A little bit too late if you need to reach the other side of the city before 8am and have a breakfast before leaving. Bathroom is small, but had some basic amenities and was clean. Room was cleaned everyday.
For the price I paid - amazing location (Empire State almost on its doorsteps), complimentary (not very fast) wi-fi, and good continental breakfast - I would say I got the best offer in town. Reception desk staff was also nice, breakfast room person - seemed to be not very guest-friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, only a handful overlook the street (which is busy - Park Ave), so it might be hard...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Joshua W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed here for five nights. Yes, it is the smallest room I have ever stayed in... and yes, the bathroom is tiny, but all I really want in NYC is a clean place to sleep and shower, and that's what I got. Considering the price I paid (a special summer offer) versus the room size, the continental breakfast, the outstanding staff, and the great location, I have no complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Al M
PA
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a medical emergency, an accident involving a family member, and needed a hotel near Bellevue Hospital. We were not sure how long we would need to stay so we started out with a 2 night booking. Well the stay lasted for over a week. The desk staff were "very helpful", understanding, and went above and beyond in helping us with our situation. We only had to move twice and the staff tried very hard to keep our cost down as best as they could. Luckily they had rooms for our stay. The service staff is very helpful and friendly.
Because the hotel is in an old building the rooms are constrained by the original construction so the rooms are small especially in the rooms with a double bed. Each room does have a desk for working which we were able to do during our stay along with the free and speedy WiFi. The heating and cooling is provided by a window unit. The rooms have flat screen TVs, which is nice for down time. The decor is nice but becoming apparent that it is well used.
There is a simple complimentary continental breakfast with your accommodations, which we did not get to use but once and in room coffeemaker.
The location is the best. You have a number of wonderful restaurants, bars and eateries in easy walking distance. For us the Hospital complex was in easy walking distance. The subway is close by as well. You can walk to the Empire State building as well. In it's price range and location one of the nicer places to stay. We have returned to stay there for our continuing needed medical/moral support a couple more times to date.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 1 & 2 are right on Park Avenue, a neat view, are noisier if you don't have t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Troy, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Pros: Great location. Right across the street from a trendy rooftop bar with pool which had a line around the block. Close to subways. Complimentary wi-fi which works pretty well. Complimentary breakfast (waffles, bagels and cereal). Quick check-in.

Cons: I think it is the smallest room I've ever seen. The bathroom, elevator and halls were also tiny. Halls were very dated and the room window had a fire escape going right up to it with a view of a wall 2. Feet away.

Its a place to sleep...

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank suesue2suesue
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First thing first: The location is very good. The hotel is located along Park Avenue, just a couple of blocks away from Empire State, and right next to the metro station. The metro will take you along the eastern part of Manhattan and over to Brooklyn (switching one time) going south and up to Queens going north. If you want to go to the western part of Manhattan you might have to switch several times.
The neighborhood is nice and quiet, but quite expansive. Luckily Curry Hill is located only one block to the east. There you will find cheaper restaurants that don't serve fast food (don't worry, some of them do that as well, if that is what you are looking for).
The rooms are small, and the cleanliness is okey, nothing more nothing less. The service is good, although it seems as if the guys serving breakfast doesn't really enjoy that part of their job.
All and all: This is your average budget- hotel, that will ensure that you get a good night sleep. And after all: You don't go to New York to stay in your hotel- room, do you?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple