“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”

The Bryant Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 467 Hotels in New York City
uk
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

This was our second trip back to the Bryant park hotel. One of the main features we loved from our previous stay was the huge bath and separate power shower, and were slightly disappointed when we checked into our room to find just a shower, as we had expected a large bath to relax in after some grueling travelling. We spoke to the guys at reception and within five minutes they changed our room for us, and we were moved to a beautiful room overlooking the park. This was extra special for my wife and me as the room overlooked the spot where we got engaged by the carousel in the park during our previous trip. We've been twice, and are already looking forward to our next trip, we've recommended it to our friends, and really couldn’t recommend a place more highly. It is in a perfect location, the staff are lovely, and the rooms are great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

Everything was great! We had a mother-daughter vacation and need to do things that were good for all ages. The staff was so helpful and suggested a Top Button shopping Tour through the garment district, which was so close to the hotel. everyone was so helpful and made this vacation very special!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Cambs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

i travelled from England to the Bryant Park during sept for a surprise 40th birthday present for my wife booking in advance directly with the hotel 3 months before. On arrival (thursday) i was asked for card details which is acceptable and normal in all hotels as i had booked via my debit card with a view to paying the balance ($1450) on departure (monday). Whilst in New York i often tried to use my card for show tickets and cash but found it to be declined which was strange as i had funds in my account should i need any more for emergencies etc. On departure my bill was $1450 which i paid and then departed to the airport. Returing to london my card was still being delined therefore i phoned my bank who told me the reason being was that the hotel had lodged for $2055 ON THE THURSDAY OF MY ARRIVAL WITHOUT TELLING ME!! i had no idea this had occured and this was the reason for my card not 'working' in New York. Incredibly phoning the hotel they said it was policy to do this without telliing the card owner (its not even in confirmation at booking etc) and applyng for $600 more to cover potential damages etc!! who do you think we are the Rolling Stones!! This has ruined my trip to New York, MY WIFES 40TH and my impression of the hotel. Since returning i have had bank charges and stress due to the funds not being in my account, including phone calls to the USA. The hotel tried to tell me this was normal procedure but having spent time in San Fran, Vegas, Memphis and other hotels in New York ITS NOT!! What was should have been a trip of a life time has been ruined - You may be able to afford holding $600 as a hotel but most of us cannot - congratulations and cheers Bryant Park, thanks for the memories

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Gabriel1488
BryantParkHotel, Director of Front Office and Guest Services at The Bryant Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Thank you for staying with us. I would like to take this opportunity to explain 4 to 5 star hotel procedures regarding debit card authorizations,

It is common for a hotel to authorize a guest’s credit card for potential incidental charges in advance when a guest is given the right to charge restaurant, bar, room service, movies, minibar, spa, and telephone charges to their room bill.

A guest staying in a luxury hotel can spend $150 per day easily in incidental charges. These funds are held on reserve by the cardholder’s bank and released when the actual charges go through.

All guests are advised of our policy. This guest checked in with a debit card and, unfortunately, he arrived with not much more than $600 to spare on his account over a 4 day period in New York, without any other available credit.

Hotels, unlike retail establishments, generally do not collect payment until after services are rendered. We rely on the authorization and held funds credit card rules to protect ourselves. Had this guest spent his $600 elsewhere, and ran up incidental charges without preauthorization, we would not have been able to collect payment.

It should be pointed out that this policy is in effect at most 4 and 5 star resorts and hotels as well as cruise ships.

While we sympathize with this guest’s plight, he does not represent a typical guest at a luxury 4 or 5 star hotel.

Thank you Darren Sumner D.sumner@bryantparkhotel.com
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

The Bryant Park Hotel is a very good hotel in a good central location. I stayed here with my partner for 5 nights. The plus sides were that the service was very good - on several occasions we emailed documents to reception to be printed, which they did promptly and without fuss. We had a free newspaper every morning and there are free drinks in the cellar bar between 5 and 6 every weekday evening. The bathroom was also amazing - roomy and with a tub big enough for two and a separate shower cubicle with an amazing shower. There's also wifi available (though you have to pay for it).

If I had to pick a downside it would be that it's in a busy, business location. If I were to go to NYC again I'd probably look for something in a quieter location - probably the meatpacking district. We found it difficult to find good restaurants/bars nearby. It's also just a bit too close to the tourist hell of Times Square (though to be fair, Bryant Park is an attractive oasis amidst midtown chaos!).

I should add that the hotel's cellar bar seems like THE place to be - there are regular queues outside at about midnight with people waiting to get in. So if you're going to NYC to party, this hotel should be top of your list. They also have room service to cater for the munchies from about 11pm 'tlll about 6am every day.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Our company has an office nearby and I stayed in with my wife for a combination pleasure / business trip for just one night. We will be returning in December. We are world travelers and have many hotels to compare this to, including the Cirigan Palace in Istanbul, Raffles in Singapore, any of numerous Aman Resort hotels and while Bryant Park is not of the same stature as a Cirigan, say, the staff here are as accomodating, friendly and professional as any of the largest luxury hotels and exclusive boutiques we have visited. The "hip" funky feel of the Bryant Park reminded us of the "be Manos" in Brussels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
BryantParkHotel, Director of Front Office and Guest Services at The Bryant Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for comparing us to such great hotels around the world. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and more importantly the staff. I hope you come back soon. If I can ever be of assistance, please let me know. Darren (Dsumner@bryantparkhotel.com)
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

If your checklist matches mine for a hotel in New York, I can save you the hours I spent researching and comparing alternatives. This was my second stay at this hotel and I would find it hard to validate a decision to stay elsewhere. There's something going on at BPH because the staff from front door to front desk, housekeeping, engineering to bell boy, everyone is consistent in their outstanding service with a professional yet personal approach. Somehow they have achieved what most hotels fail at - hospitality. It makes such a difference but its not the only criteria in choosing this hotel over the hundreds of others. Here's my checklist:
Location: Perfect, central midtown, within 7-10 blocks or $10 taxi of anywhere you want to be and across from the beautiful Bryant Park with its quaint outdoor eateries and respite from the concrete jungle of NY. Noise also less a concern as 40th doesn't get so much street traffic but as with any NY hotel, the higher floors are quieter. I was on the 20th and only heard the usual sirens (which you basically can't get away from in NY).
NO BED BUGS!!!!! (this was very high on my criteria and many of the other big name, more expensive places had reportings, see www.bedbugregistry.com))
Staff: ALL their people are just extraordinary for their genuine hospitality and professional but personable approach, this is what impressed me so much the last time I stayed here. All extremely helpful and pleasant. When traveling on your own, it makes such a difference to stay in a friendly environment where you're welcomed - usually by name! Yet to find a hotel that beats them for hospitality.
Price: Very fair. Clean rooms, great linen, all facilities incl gym, restaurant & bar, in room dining (excellent BTW), view to the park, internet etc. Fair to say that compared to most alternatives you get more than you pay for by market rates at comparable hotels.
Amenities: Spotless. Natural light, simple furnishings, nothing lavish but very comfortable and functional. Molton Brown toiletries, thick fluffy towels, crisp bed linen, bench space in the bathroom a treat, clean wooden floors and the option to have fresh (real) air or air con.
I would recommend this hotel for visits to NY for business or pleasure. If romance is the reason, take a junior suite with a balcony - very Pretty Woman!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Cooeee
Thank you for your amazing review! We love what we do and I am so glad that it shows. I couldn't wait to share your trip advisor entry with the Bryant Park Hotel family. I hope that during your next visit to NY you stay with us again. If I can ever be of assistance, please let me know. You have to come back during the holidays, Bryant Park transforms into a winter wonderland. Darren Sumner (Dsumner@bryantparkhotel.com)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

The room wasn't what I was expecting and the duty manager didn't resolve our issue during our stay. However, as soon as I got home and emailed Darren we had a reply in less than an hour and recieved a personal phone call. he went above and beyond to investigate our situation and make sure we were compensated properly.

Dispute my issue I'd still recommend this hotel.

Thanks again Darren!