“Perfect, though a bit too trendy”

The Bryant Park Hotel
Ranked #12 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Portland, Maine
“Perfect, though a bit too trendy”
Reviewed July 6, 2007

The Bryant Park Hotel has the ideal midtown Manhattan location, everyone is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean and modern. You can't go wrong when all of the important points are so well covered. Of course, you pay for it. We were there during the 4th of July week and we got what they call a junior suite for $359/night. It was only one big room so I'm not sure why they call it a suite, but it was a bright and clean room. The decor was trendy minimalist. Bare walls, Molton Brown toiletries, a Toto toilet, and a safe, but no coffeemaker. We didn't ask for one and they probably would have sent one up, but it's midtown and there's coffee everywhere. We discovered that if we took the complimentary newspaper with us, we could buy coffee and read the paper across the street in Bryant Park. Maybe it was good that we couldn't make coffee in the room, but it would have been nice to have the option.

We never noticed any problem with people going to the bar downstairs, setup for the Friday morning concert (Norah Jones) in the park across the street wasn't silent, but it wasn't bad. We stayed 3 nights and even though security people were making sure that only guests could use the elevators, I'd think that they might have started to recognize us before we checked out. Of course it's very dark by (and in) the elevators, so maybe they just couldn't see us. Anyone who enjoyed the Rocpool Reserve in Inverness would be likely to like this hotel too.

Would I go back? Yes, when the price is right. It's not for everyone and I'd actually like a warm and welcoming atmosphere better that the cold trendiness, but I don't think I've stayed anywhere in midtown that I liked better.

• Liked — Location and the lack of problems
  • Disliked — A bit too trendy - just like their web site
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Having read mostly good reviews on the site, we decided to overlook some reviews about the superior and unhelpful attitudes of some of the staff - we really wish we hadnt!

The room was very comfortable with good facilities and a great bathroom and in a great location. Some of the staff were professional and helpful, but we felt badly let down by three things which happened.

We chose the hotel as we understood from the web site that all rooms had bathtubs, and as I have a back problem this was important to us so that I could relax after walking around the city. When we arrived we were allocated a room without bath. When we asked we were changed to another room the next day, which we were pleased about, and were told by staff that they would move us whilst we went out. On our return, it was clear that staff on the next shift had not been informed about the move and as my partner didnt have his passport (although I did and the room was secured with my credit card) we were made to wait 10-15 minutes whilst security came so we could be escorted to our room. When we got up to our room and my partner looked for our passport the security man said it didn’t matter and left without seeing it! The woman on reception who dealt with us was curt and unhelpful. Incidentally, we overheard this same member of staff making uflattering comments about another guest which we felt to be completely unprofessional!

On returning to the hotel on our last night we decided to visit the cellar bar at 10.30 pm. As we waited at the bar, the bar woman came up and said ‘sorry we are closed’, despite the fact that there were other people drinking in the bar. As we left we watched another couple come in and they were served. We complained to staff on the desk who explained that as there was a film in Bryant Park they were trying to stop people using the toilets. We felt this to be a very poor excuse as she only needed to ask to see our door keys . Clearly depsite being dressed up we weren't cool enough for this pretentious 'hotspot'!

On checking out we were presented with a bill of $300 more than the price we had been given on our reservation. When we pointed this out, despite having a copy of the correct bill which we had signed when we arrived, the woman on the desk argued with us and denied that the bill was incorrect. She only changed the bill when she had reluctantly phoned reservations and had the correct price confirmed. This took her two more attempts as she was unsure of how to do this.

We have complained to the hotel on our return to the UK . We were pleased that the manager took the trouble to call us and we have been offered an upgrade and a complimentary night's stay on a future visit - but there's no way we'd go back and wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone else.

• Liked — comfortable rooms and good location
  • Disliked — attitude of some staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rynneth
Londoner
Reviewed June 26, 2007

From the louder than average piped music in the reception, staff wearing trendy, designer-black uniforms, the Braynt Park has more of a nightclub feel about it than your usual hotel.

No expense seems to have been spared fitting out the rooms, Bose sound system, iPod dock, plasma tv putting this way ahead of most hotels. Shame that a bit more money wasn't spent on a bit of sound proofing via the windows. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the summer attractions in the park opposite created a bit of a racket. I returned to my room at 10.30pm (on a Monday) to be greeted by a highly audible noise from the outdoor, free film screening outside. Fortunately, the film ended by 10.45pm and maybe the wooden floor in the room only served to heighten the echoes. However, the noise of sirens, garbage trucks and the like woke me up on several occasions before I gave up at 7am. Maybe that's why they provided earplugs in the room - pity I didn't find them untl I left!

Room and bathroom were certainly big enough, with high ceilings to boot. Breakfast (not included) in the restaurant downstairs was certainly very good (not cheap, though nice when your firm's paying).

Only 2 small elevators served my floor. These get a bit busy around peak time, andhad to let them go a couple of times as they were already full. Would have taken the stairs but for suitcase and bag.

Overall the experience of this hotel was a good one - you couldn't fault the cleanliness or helpfulness of the staff. Don't think I would have justified the cost of staying here though if it wasn't the company paying.

• Liked — modern furnishing and equipment
  • Disliked — outside noise from the street
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Sinik
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Spent two nights in an 11th floor junior suite at the Bryant Park. Not cheap, but certainly clean, comfortable and with a great bathroom / walk in shower with Molton Brown accessories. Great to have a Bose radio and CD player, better still to have an IPOD dock and speakers, and also to have a unit playing soothing sounds (birdsong, waves, water, thunder) to help one sleep after a transatlantic flight.

However:

1) For $600 a night, wireless Internet access should be free.

2) Beware staying in front rooms on Thursday nights in the summer. Every Friday morning, ABC bring a concert to the park directly opposite, which led to us being disturbed from 2am by unloading trucks, a 6.30am sound check, and loud country music from 7am. Had to give up on the IPOD and TV; had to give up preparing for my business meeting.

The check-out answer to my colleague who had asked for a quiet room and been placed at the front was that this happens every Friday through the summer... which rather missed the point. He was offered an upgrade next time - I'm not sure there will be one.

Nice hotel, good location, pretty views, comfortable rooms otherwise.

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, good location
  • Disliked — Paying $600 a night and being disturbed for much of the night and early morning.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank NKGofHOT
OH
Reviewed June 11, 2007

First time stay at Bryant Park Hotel (06/07) was excellent! The lobby/check-in area is much smaller than other hotels at comparable prices, but it was more than sufficient. The red & brown decor is gorgeous & the front desk staff was extremely helpful & friendly! We had a superior room on the 10th floor that was modern & very clean, with a HUGE bathroom, large tub, comfy bed with awesome pillows & great robes!! For a quick, inexpensive meal, I recommend the very popular Cosmic Diner (8th & 52nd), Good food, hearty portions, but noon rush on weekends felt somewhat Soup Nazi-ish. But hey, it's New York!

• Liked — Clean and modern
  • Disliked — no iron/ironing board in room, no on-floor ice machines
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed June 8, 2007

The Bryant Park Hotel is a great place to stay in a location close to Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave. shops and overall midtown sites. I live in NJ but stay here whenever I feel like being in the city and enjoying the clubs and NY experience. When financially possible, stay in the Bryant Park suites which have a great view to Bryant Park and (some have 2 bathrooms) and all suites have flat screen tvs in both the bedroom and living room. I've stayed in rooms on the 20th, 21st, 14th and 16th floors. Keep in mind that ALL the rooms are unique and some even have terraces overlooking the city!

The decor is quite modern, so if you're looking for a traditional hotel do NOT stay here. Models and fashion executives stay here during Fashion Week for easy access to the Bryant Park fashion shows. The bed is comfortable, the bathroom is fantastic with separate shower and large bathtub if you wish to have a nice, hot bath after your long day in the city, The staff is great and can accomodate all needs and special requests. I love the bathrobes and I'm now hooked to the Molton Brown bathroom amenities which you can find at Saks Fifth Avenue or the Molton Brown store in midtown Manhattan.

The minibar is well stacked with all your favorite spirits - albeit somewhat expensive. Bring your iPod to enjoy the iPod stereo system in the bedroom. Room service food is above any hotel standards and includes sushi rolls, chicken dishes and your basic american cuisine.

This is a fantastic hotel, catering to those who desire modern decor and ambiance in a "hot spot" setting for a fabulous night in NY!!

• Liked — The modern decor, rooms overlooking Bryant Park, customer service
  • Disliked — No spa in the hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank ILuv2trvl_7
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed June 2, 2007

Wow, this a great hotel! I paid $299 for a room that was large and perfectly furnished. Great bathroom as well (size and Molton Brown products!!). Unlike the W - which is the hotel I usually use - it was clean and kept up (the W in Times Square always has rooms that are so fithly and damaged by previous guests). The staff were super friendly and very competent. This will be my NYC hotel going forward. It's so much better, I'm willing to forego the SPG points!

Stayed June 2007