“Great location - but...”

The Bryant Park Hotel
Ranked #12 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Hmm, this is a tricky one.
Bryant Park Hotel pitches itself as a super-cool, luxe, boutique hotel. The location is great if you want to be in Midtown Manhattan (we were in town for New Year, so it was perfect) and it looks cool from the outside (black and gold retro skyscraper next to Bryant Park? Yes.) and, on the face of it, it is pretty cool. But is it super-boutique and cool enough? Maybe not...

Here's why - everything about the stay was OK - room was OK, service was OK, vibe was OK. But I was kind of hoping for outstanding, not just OK.
It's difficult to put my finger on exactly what it is that I feel a bit dissatisfied about, but I guess that I can sum it up by the fact that this was an expensive trip, and while the hotel was pretty good, cool-ish and the room was big enough and comfy enough it all just felt a bit, well, standard.
And, for me, they commited one of the cardinal sins of a real boutique hotel - flaky concierge service. It all started well with a couple of emails before we travelled, but everything just went quiet - so none of the things I wanted to book and get help with actually happened. It worked out OK, but because I sorted myself out.

So, the bottom line. Is it a bad hotel? No, far from it. But is it the vibey, ultra-cool, boutique hotel it looks like on the website? Sorry, no it just isn't. It's a nice, cool-ish hotel in a seriously good location (if you want midtown), but it isn't all that. Rooms are OK, service is OK, but honestly - nothing that special. Sorry guys.

Will I stay there again? Probably not.
Shame. I've fancied staying there for years and I wanted to love it.

Couple of things though - being next to Bryant Park in winter is great - shopping, ice skating and just a nice vibe. The Witchcraft coffee stand on Bryant Park is outstanding and the hotel restaurant, Koi, (which gets a little bit of a hard time because of the 'cool' crowd) was very, very, very good. Expensive, but worth every penny.

3  Thank plusfour
Write a ReviewReviews (3,825)

Reviewed January 27, 2010

My husband and very good friends have celebrated special occasions at the Bryant Park Hotel and I often stay there on business. Each visit has been a terrific experience. The staff are uniformly welcoming and helpful; the rooms are inviting; and the sublime location,across from one of the city's best parks, provides a customer experience that is unique. I would take up residence there anytime...
Judy Stein-Korte, Toronto, Canada

Reviewed January 25, 2010

I feel the Bryant Park provided the perfect mix of cost, location and room size...a tough mix in NYC. We paid $218 a night during January...expensive for some; still a good deal as you have to pay at least $200 for something decent.

The room used the space well, providing a queen sized bed, sitting area (not all that common in the city) and a fair sized bathroom...room and bathroom were a crisp and not over-the-top modern that I'm sure anyone would like. The sink had plenty of space for makeup, etc and the shower/bath was huge.

The location was excellent at a few blocks off Broadway. Close enough to everything in Times Square and theater district without having the noise. Bryant Park sits directly across the street and the NY Public Library next to the park. Lord & Taylor is right around the corner...great deals were found.

This is our new favorite stay in NYC and will be the first place we check from here out.

Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed at the Bryant Park Hotel this past weekend and had a wonderful stay. The staff is unbelievably friendly and courteous at all times. They go out of their way to make you feel at home. I also had dinner at Koi which didn't disappoint. I will be back next month. I would highly recommend this place while traveling to NY.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank christina1225
Reviewed January 19, 2010

You could not hope for a better situated hotel in New York, right between Times Square and 5th Avenue! This was a great base for our short stay in New York and the hotel staff were immense. We were greeted with an invitation to the Cellar Bar where there was an open bar for hotel guests for an hour each evening (very handy!) with a great atmosphere.

The concierge, Eric, did a great job of recommending good restaurants and giving some very sound advice on what to do during our stay. Don't miss Koi, the japanese restaurant in the hotel which was exceptional.

The room was nicely presented and modern with all that you could possibly want. The only negative was the air conditioning vent outside our window that meant that when our own air con was off it still sounded as if it was on (but it didn't really disturb us). We didn't say anything as we had unpacked by the time we realised and couldn't be bothered moving. The bathroom was excellent with Molton Brown goodies to hand.

Reviewed January 18, 2010

We stayed at The Bryant Park for New Years 2010. Initially we thought it a bit pricey but in comparison to other more mainstream less exclusive hotels, at that time of year, they were very competitive. The location was ideal, right in the heart of Manhattan, nothing was very far away Times Square two blocks, shopping everywhere, sightseeing in every direction metro on the corner and a lovely park (square) right on the doorstep, complete with seasonable ice-skating rink. Our room had a breath taking view over the park and skyscrapers with a view of the Ball Drop and fireworks - perfect as Times Square was packed on 31st December. The room itself was large and very comfortable, cleaned daily at a time to suit you if you find the privacy button beside the bed. Large LCD TV, big bed, wooden floors, high ceilings and well maintained. The bathroom was fantastic with the biggest bath I've ever used and an amazing shower. We didn't use too many hotel facilities - except the Cellar bar, Happy Hour is not to be missed. The staff were more than helpful and the very friendly reception always used my name and pronounced both barrels - which is more than I can say for the rest of Manhattan or at least the staff in Macy's, Sack's - I could go on but this is about the Hotel. Our stay was not faultless but we feel it's how you deal with the errors and problems that counts. The staff at The Bryant Park sorted our one minor problem with our TV swiftly and effortlessly with a smile.
In summary, there are cheaper hotels but if you want style, location and attention to detail (the ice bucket always seems to have fresh ice - it's the little things...) try The Bryant Park Hotel. If we visit Manhattan again we'd stay there.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Stayed at the Bryant Park Hotel from 24-31 December. We were a group of 12 (family and friends) celebrating my brother's retirement.

From when we stepped foot in the hotel we fell in love with it. The building is absolutely fantastic and the exterior is quite stunning. Check-in was very smooth and the staff were extremely friendly. The rooms were minimalist but I really liked that and we had a lovely view of Bryant Park. Went to the Cellar Bar as they had an Open Bar from 5-6pm – staff again were extremely friendly and they certainly weren’t stingy with the free drinks – as soon as you finished one they put another one down (I’m not a big drinker so found it hard to keep up!!) – it was a great start to our time in New York!

I can’t rate the Bryant Park Hotel highly enough. The ages in our party were from 4 years old to 83 years old and even though the staff at the hotel were young and hip – they treated all of us like royalty. They were just so accommodating – from the doormen, to the maids, to the people who worked behind the bar in the Cellar Bar, to the front desk – nothing was too much trouble for them and we were always greeted with a smile and a chat. The Bryant Park is also in such a great location – we were so lucky.

I'll definitely be returning to New York and can't see myself staying at any other hotel - the Bryant Park Hotel is everything you could wish for and more.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family