As a special present for my partner’s birthday I decided to book a trip to New York. Having never been to America before I wanted to learn as much as I could about New York before we left England.
When looking at holidays I tend to do a lot of research into the place I am going to. This leads to late nights over the computer screen and headaches from looking into things. Using advice from Trip Advisor and various other hotel review sites I came to the conclusion that I wanted us to stay in the Bryant Park Hotel. The key factors in choosing this particular hotel were: location and luxury. As I said, having never been to America before I wanted to treat ourselves!
I used Expedia to book our flights and hotel. The site gave us a choice of rooms and options. I requested a Deluxe Queen room with View (a view of Bryant Park) and for the room to be a non-smoking one. Once booked, I had to wait 6 weeks until our holiday. We were looking forward to it.
Nearer to departure from England, I emailed the hotel with a couple of questions regarding check in. I not only received a quick and polite response to my questions but also was told that we would be upgraded to a Junior Suite room. A very nice surprise, i’ve never received a complimentary room upgrade before.
On arriving at the hotel our bags were taken and we were checked in by a welcoming front desk. We were served by a guy who told us everything about the room, the hotel and events going on that evening. Having checked in, we then got taken up to our room (in the very funky red lit elevators). The room was lovely and such a welcome sight after a long journey. The room was large and the bathroom was a good size too. It was a nicely equipped room too with a decent sized TV screen hanging on the wall, a Bose radio and an iPod docking station. Oh and Molton Brown products in the bathroom, to my partner’s delight. Our room was on the 8th floor and we had good views of Bryant Park, the New York Public Library and the newly completed Bank of America tower.
After a good day of sightseeing the following day, we went to the hotel’s Cellar Bar. As guests we were entitled to free drinks between 5 and 6pm. A bonus! I enjoyed having Nastro Azzurro while sitting in a intimate and social bar. The bar has a gothic style ceiling and moody lighting to match. We both enjoyed making conversation with other hotel guests. Good music too. The hotel also has a restaurant. While we did not go into it, it did seem popular and I have seen a number of favourable reviews of it on the net.
Sometimes when you read about a luxury hotel you see that while they are luxurious, they lack in true charm and have a formal feel about them. I never felt that at the Bryant Park Hotel. It is luxurious, has a nice cosmopolitan charm about it and the staff were so friendly and accommodating, I didn’t feel like I was being a pain when I asked them some questions.
The location of the hotel is pretty impressive too. A short walk west will take you to Times Square, a short walk East will take you to Grand Central Terminal, and a short walk South will take you to the Empire State Bulding. The hotel is also very close to 5th Avenue, and as a result we walked up it from the hotel a couple of times to see the sights and shops (!). One of the nice things about staying in the hotel is being able to walk for 30 seconds and be in the chilled out park opposite. It’s a nice relaxing spot.
I shall be recommending the hotel to friends and family, and if I return to New York at a later date I shall stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bryant Park Hotel, NYC's Fashion Address is nestled conveniently between 5th and 6th avenue across from the famous Bryant Park and a 5 minute walk to Times Square and 5th Ave shopping. Get a glimpse into the Cellar Bar, home to a number of fashion week parties and well known celebrity haunt. We are now offering free in room wired and wireless internet and Open Bar for all hotel guests, Mon - Fri from 5 -6pm. With casual elegance, pristine rooms and impeccable service. The Bryant Park Hotel staff anxiously awaits your arrival. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, TravelClick, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Odigeo, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Bryant Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bryant Park New York City
- Bryant Park Hotel New York