“For the NYC Visitor who is not a Tourist”

The Bryant Park Hotel
Ranked #12 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 3, 2008

This is a fantastic hotel for those who visit NYC frequently and are familiar with the city. I would not recommend this hotel for first-time visitors or families. This is not the type of hotel in which you will find brochures for trips to the Statue of Liberty or discount fliers for Broadway shows. If you are in town to visit friends or family or to enjoy the restaurants, nightlife, shopping and culture of the city, this is a great place to stay for a number of reasons: (1) it is very centrally located, (2) it has a great bar, Cellar Bar, and a good restaurant, Koi, to bide time between events or otherwise meet up with friends, (3) the rooms are very spacious compared to other NYC hotels and in relation to the price and (4) service is quite good, especially the efficient check-in and the maids who kept everything immaculate without ever being seen or heard. I should also note that both the room and lobby decor is modern and minimalist in design and may not appeal to those who expect a more lavish setting for upward of $350 a night.

1  Thank HCS81
Write a ReviewReviews (3,826)

Reviewed June 3, 2008

I had a great time during my first stay at the Bryant Park Hotel and recommend it to anyone looking for a stylish and comfortable (yet not outrageously expensive) hotel in Manhattan.

I stayed at the Bryant Park for one night at the end of May. The hotel is housed in a gorgeous black-and-gold 1924 Art Deco tower overlooking the leafy park. The location is perfectly situated between the subway lines for both the east and west sides of Manhattan. It's a short walk to Penn Station and an even shorter walk to Grand Central Terminal.

I was warmly welcomed to the hotel by cheerful Anna at the reception desk. I had booked a Deluxe Queen View and was given room 1605, which wraps around the northwest corner of the building. The park views are gorgeous and worth the higher room rate. The room itself was spotlessly clean, with oak floors and modern furniture. The bed was very comfortable. Best of all was the palatial marble bathroom, with a giant tub and a separate shower fitted with a marvelous, waterfall-generating showerhead. The high-quality soaps and shampoo smelled great. I found the room to be an oasis of calm in the middle of bustling Manhattan.

I did not visit the Cellar Bar or Koi, as I was meeting friends downtown the one night I was in NYC, but I did have breakfast and read part of the Sunday paper (provided by the hotel) in the beautiful park across from the hotel. It's like a little slice of Paris in Manhattan.

I have searched long and hard for a hotel in Manhattan that's not prohibitively expensive but that also has style and a distinctive personality. With its historic exterior, elegant interior, central location, spectacular views and courteous staff, the Bryant Park will be my new home-base for future visits to New York City!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2008

The Bryant Park Hotel is a wonderful property found on the island of Manhattan. Being a native New Yorker (and living in Manhattan) I am very familiar with the typical hotels in the city and the bang you get from your buck. Stayed here on a Wednesday to celebrate my boyfriends birthday and the Bryant Park was absolutely amazing. Upon check-in they upgraded my standard room to a suite on the 5th floor overlooking the park and sent up complimentary champagne. After check in a butler came and sent carmel popcorn to the room as compliments of the hotel. Even though the "complimentary" sentiments cost next to nothing compared to the room itself, they are all just very nice gestures that all hotels should accomodate to.

The rooms are just beautiful, clean, and tres chic. Front desk was extremely helpful. Complimentary magazines by the elevator. And to make the birthday planning easier had dinner at Koi, which is a very pretty restaurant.

Over all - Bryant Park hotel is a great place to stay in the city because its close to everything, but far enough that you won't be caught up on the touristy hoopla.

Highly recommend

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank eliu731
Reviewed May 30, 2008

This hotel is well-located in that it is right across from beautiful Bryant Park. On the weekend, this is great because it is off the beaten path (for NYC) but still very centrally located for getting around easily (especially because the BDFV is right out the front door). The hotel decor is modern and it is done well and the Molton Brown bath products are great.

Most importanly, the staff at the Bryant Park Hotel renewed my belief that good customer service does exist. Everyone at this hotel was extremely friendly and gracious. They truly seemed to care whether or not we had a pleasant stay. Everytime we walked into the hotel, we were greeted warmly and we were asked (in a way that I felt was genuine) whether or not we needed anything. The staff actually wanted to be of service!

In particular, I must give special praise to Frank at the front desk. He very graciously corrected a mistake in the type of room that we were assigned to and upgraded us to a junior suite that happened to be available. Moreover, when I told him that it was my spouse's 35th birthday, he sent up two cute individually-sized bottles of White Star.

Like many who utilize this site, I have had quite a few hotel experiences, and I can honestly say that the service at the Bryant Park Hotel was the best that I have ever experienced.

Reviewed May 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed (and are still staying) at the Bryant Park Hotel. We booked for a week. The hotel room is very very nice and spacious, and the location is perfect. However, next time I'm in NY, I would try one of the more 'traditional' hotels like the marriott perhaps... somewhere where the hotel staff are warmer and where the lobby feels more friendly... but that's just personal taste. Overall, the Bryant Park Hotel is great. I've listed some of my experiences below.

Check-in: was quick, efficient, though impersonal.

The lobby: Smart, clean and modern, but small. Was not quite comfortable - they've gone 'modern' and contemporary to the point you somehow just don't feel comfortable hanging around. There's no traditional lobby lounge or seating to wait or get cosy in.

Room: Excellent size and furnishings, bed was comfy. Bathroom was big, clean and modern, and bath products were very lovely.
We were on the 18th floor and it was pretty quiet. There was some reno being done in the top floors of the hotel but that didn't disrupt us much... only heard the occasional bump during the day.
Only gripes are that the walls are waaaayy tooo thin (I can faintly hear next room occupant talking/watching tv. In fact, while I sit in the comfy bed typing this review, I can hear the room occupants next door faintly moaning and their bed squeaking from their evening "exertions"..... oh dear). Also, next room's door opening/shutting actually does reverberate through our room, which can be slightly annoying if you like to sleep in.
The only bathroom gripe would be the shower - they have one of those 'rain water' drippy showerheads that means it's virtually impossible to have a quick shower.

Doorman/men: are usually present and polite, but they don't do much. There are 2 sets of doors leading from the street to the hotel lobby. One set of doors is usually left open, and the doormen often just stand around chatting. Half the time, they do greet you.
They are all dressed in black tees and pants and look more like bouncers than proper hotel doormen.
Once you get through one set of doors, you normally have to open the second set of doors yourself, as all 2 or 3 doormen will be gathered only at the first set of doors chatting.

House keeping: is EXCELLENT. Your room gets cleaned and tidied twice a day, and there's a privacy button should you wish. In the evenings, they turn down your bed, turn on the therapy machine (fills your room with soothing noises :), put choccies on your bed and positions slippers next to your bed, fill your ice bucket. It's all very very lovely!!

In Room Dining: Too too expensive. Add 20% tax to cost of food, plus a $4 delivery fee. We had a turkey club sandwich and fruit salad delivered at midnight once, and it was of acceptable quality.
We did dine at the Koi Restaurant downstairs one evening and the quality of the food was good. Service in Koi was standard (good), like you would get in most of Manhattan. The only downer at Koi was the very VERY FROSTY hostess who had forgotten how to smile, even when smiled at! She came across snobbish and cold, with not even a response to our goodnight when we left. To be honest, for Koi's prices, you would do better trying nobu / nobu next door / the london. The image Koi projects is also somewhat contradicting - for a restaurant that charges top price, they give you wooden 'takeaway' chopsticks. Also, the decor mixes casual bamboo with funky ceilings. It's not a cohesive mix.

Internet access: They charge you for it, even though in the park across the road and the cafes next door, it's free. Makes you feel a little ripped off for what you already pay to stay there.

Health club on level 5: Was great! They had a great range of equipment and the room was large. There were also towels provided there, a basket of apples, a water container, a TV, and a toilet just in case. It's clean, presentable, quiet - very user friendly.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank zigzaggyzoom
Reviewed May 21, 2008

This hotel is absolutely outstanding. It's a block and a half from Times Square/Broadway and across the street from Bryant Park. The hotel is stylish and trendy. The rooms are big (for NYC) and comfortable, the bathroom is outstanding and super clean. You definately want to stay here. Room service is crazy expensive but there are nice, affordable places to eat 100 yards from the front door.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank MaineDweller
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Stayed at the Bryant in September last year. At check in we were told that our room was not available even though it was late afternoon. The staff member we were dealing with did not seen really that bothered, just continued with the same sentence of "Im sorry we dont have the room available that you want" without offering alternative. We had initially requested a room quite high up and the first one offered was only on the 3rd floor. Eventually after my partner complaining there was a room available that was higher and acceptable.

The room itself was comfortable, bathroom was absolutely beautiful.

Staff were friendly, apart from the encounter initially, good service with the concierge confirming our reservations for us, which I highly recommend if going for dinner at River Cafe or Rainbow Rooms.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple