“Weekend stay with the girls”

The Bryant Park Hotel
Ranked #12 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Bryant park hotel is a sexy hotel located in the city. The front desk staff was very helpful and the bellman was quick to make sure we didn't have to struggle with our bags. We stayed in a king which was spacious for a new York city hotel. The restroom was clean and spacious but the water didn't drain well in the tub. The bed was comfortable and lots of natural sunlight even though our view was brick buildings. Would definitely stay here again !

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The hotel itself is beautiful. The room was spacious and clean. The staff is 5 star all the way. One of the doormen (I think his name was Michael) stood out as exceptional. He went out of his way to be courteous and helpful. The Cellar Bar, and the Happy Hour special was also a very high point of the stay. The bartenders were great, and the vibe of the room is top notch.

The reason I can't give the place 5 stars (and almost gave it 3) is very simple. We booked the room several days in advance and paid a substantial price for a junior suite. There was no discount on the room. The hotel did not inform us that they were doing construction at Bryant Park on the skating rink across the street steps from the hotel TWENTY FOUR HOURS PER DAY for the entire 3 days we were there. It made it impossible to have a restful night of sleep for the entire trip, as the construction was extremely loud and went on all night long, which was quite surprising. We were awakened regularly throughout each night of the stay by very loud shouting, clanging and banging. I would think a fair move by the hotel would be either to sharply discount the rooms during this construction period or to at least warn customers at the time of booking so that the customer could make an informed decision. I felt like it was sheisty of the hotel not to mention this very significant issue or to account for it in the price of the room.

It's a shame that this was a significant black mark on an otherwise perfect experience. As evidenced by the 4 star rating I still gave the hotel I am not one who likes to trash businesses or to be one of those nerds who complains about everything. However, I did feel it necessary to make this known in the text of the review without completely trashing the hotel in the star rating process.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank John P
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed for few days in a Bryant Park suite for business. This is the first time a New York hotel has delighted me in years. I've stayed in suites in a number of New York hotels and most are not inspiring. The typical style is for dimly lit relatively dark carpeted rooms, heavily furnished and richly curtained. Without a suite, New York hotels seem to have some of the worlds smallest rooms. In most, the service is more olegenious than effective.

I walked into The Bryant Park to be engaged by an energetic, competent, great looking team (I know, I know, their looks are irrelevant).

The three room (living, bed and bathroom) suite here was like walking into home. It was completely timber floored in pine, white walls with high celings, rugs and light furniture. Large windows covered most of both sides of the corner suite, which looked out over the open space of the park and library. Simply delightful. An open, light filled, uplifting space. Part of the living area was given over to a dining table and chairs seating six. Perfect for work.

The bed was good. I was delighted to see ear plugs provided, but didn't need them. One observation is that the light from Bryant Part (particularly as they are building the skating rink as I write) is significant at night (and the room curtains don't quite block it all). A higher room might be preferred. Take your sleeping eyeshades.

Bathroom is excellent, spacious, and Molton Brown toiletries were thoughtfully chosen.

There was free wi-fi and a small bose unit that docked an ipod.

One serious disappointment noted by other reviewers was the absence of a coffee machine. I am sorry but nespresso units can now be found in cheap motels. This is ridiculous and a contempt of travellers working in multiple time zones.

The restaurant in the building is extremely good modern asian and well worth a visit. There is a Pain Quotidian a few doors up for a civilised breakfast including passable espresso from about 8am each morning.

One aspect that did make me laugh was the establishment's rating as one of New Yorks Most Romantic hotels. It certainly made my office laugh as they booked it.

I understand a break in a great room in a fabulous city can reinvigorate a relationship, but was puzzled what might have given The Bryant Park the edge. My curiosity was piqued by the brothel-red leather and red lit lift (at least that's what I've been told they look like). But the "ah ha" moment came as I consdered the minibar menu of thought provoking optional extras. Worth a visit with an adventurous significant other.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cunim
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The staff is extremely friendly and the concierge (Sara) helped us with tickets to a show. The room was a decent size for NYC and was well maintained. only issue was the lack of cold water for a couple of hours one day. Great experience. Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here after booking a last minute Saturday night stay in the city. Our original reservations were for a junior suite, but upon arriving, we were graciously upgraded to the Raymond Hood Suite at no additional cost since one of them was not reserved for the night. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful during our stay. The room was spectacular. Great value and location. Service was fantastic. We plan on going back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Generally I stay at the Mandarin Oriental in NYC. BUt as prices have risen to over $1000 a night I have started to re-evaluate where I stay. And this Hotel really fits my need.

Granted it is not as refined as a Mandarin or Four Seasons but it is a great place to stay and reasonably priced for an up scale hotel.

The rooms are nice and stylish and the views of Bryant Park or the Empire State Building are just great. The location is perfect with a Subway line right next to the hotel and I can walk to Broadway if I want.

The building has tremendous character and the staff is great. When I go to NYC I now stay here and save myself about $400 a night. I could save more but I get a Junior Suite and enjoy the space.

I have also stayed in the biggest suites they have but in truth their Junior Suite is perfect and in I love it.

The economy has limited my high end stays but this Hotel does not make me feel like I have lost anything in the exchange.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bryant Park View Room.