“A Nice Surprise”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Chandler
Ranked #149 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 16, 2009

As a recent resident of NYC, I am very familiar with the local hotels. You get the ridiculously overpriced trendy/new boutique hotels in hot neighborhoods...The classic 'famous NYC' hotels, the too-good-to-be-true holes in the wall and the horrific tourist traps. Since I now live in CT and commute to the city for work, I needed to stay in Manhattan for a business event. Even with my 'corporate discount', most hotels were still in the $350 - $550 a night range and over my budget cap. I decided to look on hotels.com and saw a 4 star boutique hotel called The Chandler. So I did my homework, looked at reviews here, checked out the website, maps, etc. I wasn't crazy about staying in midtown, but I figured at $219 a night, I couldn't go wrong. It was close to Park and the subway if needed, but more importantly, the rooms looked clean and updated. I had to laugh at some of the reviews from tourists who have never been to NYC... complaints about the street noise, thin walls, narrow halls, tiny rooms. Sounds like my old apartment! I knew what to expect in that regard, but I was shocked when I walked into a modern, immaculate lobby and was greeted by the doorman and front desk person right away. There was a slight issue with my reservation made on hotels.com, but that was their error. They had not sent the reservation to The Chandler, but there was still room. They even upgraded us to a deluxe room. As I walked down the hall, I thought to myself "This is the first time I've been in a NY hotel that didn't smell of smoke, mold or that musty odor that you get when you walk through an older building." The carpets were new (and no stains!) and the room was small, but normal by NY standards. The bathroom was clean and had new fixtures. Aveda products, which are always nice. The beds were SO comfortable that you sink into the pillowtop mattress and soft sheets like it's a big marshmallow. There was some street noise, but nothing out of the norm for any city. It didn't keep me up at night and not once did I hear anyone next door or walking above me - something I never got used to in my old apt. The only issue I had was the $16 continental breakfast downstairs. I opted to eat in the library area, read the paper, have a cup of coffee and some fruit. They had a waiter on staff to serve you coffee (a pot no less) and if I chose to order eggs or something from the menu, that was offered as well. I only had the coffee, a scone and some sliced fruit from the buffet and it was $16. I think they should either comp this or make it $10 (unless someone pigs out and takes 1/2 of the baked goods from the table...it would be reasonable). They had an older computer if you needed to use the internet and the library was stocked with local papers. A very nice atmosphere. I was concerned that the location would be in a 'dead area' meaning industrial/everything closes at 6pm, but there were several restaurants around the corner and a coffee shop. Getting a cab was easy too, so no need for the subway. I can't say enough about the staff though. Attentive, helpful and friendly. Something you don't see a lot of here. I have already recommended The Chandler to friends and co-workers who have family or friends coming to town who don't want to stay in Times Sq or overpriced downtown.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Boston6
Write a ReviewReviews (3,488)

Reviewed November 3, 2009

We had a great time in New York with our 16 & 18 year old kids, in no small part due to this great little boutique hotel. We selected it on the internet mainly using the reviews here and if anything it was better than we had hoped. It's perfectly located right slap bang in the middle of Manhattan. Empire State around the corner, walkable to Times Square and perfect for transport everywhere else. For a family, using cabs was very economical - easily half the price we'd pay back home in London. We used them a lot. The Rooms weren't huge but plenty big enough very comfortably furnished, terrific beds, & warm fluffy white toweling bath robes. Housekeeping service was very thorough. No tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms which we tend to expect back home but don't seem to be common in the USA - but there was complementary tea & coffee in the lounge which did the job almost as well. We knew there would be no restaurant in house but there was one next door - but we wanted to go out to explore the New York breakfast elsewhere anyway. The staff were very attentive and helpful to anyone looking for tourist or travel advice. The room rates were very competitive too given the location. All in all I'd certainly come back and would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Urbanfox93
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews in trip advisor and also because it worked out cheaper than our usual hotel (Intercontinental The Berkley) at this time of year.
We checked in without a problem and were put in a room on the 4th floor, 425 (smoking floor), the room smelt a litttle smokey so we phoned reception and they said we could move room and that they would provide free breakfast the next morning due to the inconvenience.
Our new room 825 was laid out the in the same way but smelt fresh and of course clean. We had a fantastic 6 nights stay here, the free tea/coffie in reception was nice as was the free internet in the communal lounge/TV room.
The location of the hotel was very good in a very quiet side street, just around the corner from 'tacky central' (the empire state building). Just a 10 min stroll to Macys and 15 mins to Times square.
The nearest subway was on Park avenue at 33rd street (there is an entrance on 32nd street) making the 3 block walk (2 East and 1 North) very convenient at 5 minutes.

I have stayed at the Waldorf, Regency and Intercontinental hotels (all 4 star) in New York and I would stay here next time I visit. it is a much smaller/friendly hotel than the others and with the same level of comfort for less money.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2009

As expected, we arrived early and the room was not ready, so we walked to get some theatre tickets at TKTS. On return, we discovered the room did not have a bath (tub) - which is something we value and assumed would be commonplace. Although full, they suggested that we use the allocated room that night and then they would review the situation in the morning. In the meantime, would we please enjoy a free breakfast the next day. Next day, Mille had arranged an upgrade (at no extra cost) to a room with a tub.
The hotel staff were so friendly ( The Concierge booked us into Sardis and Anne checked our other reservations and Walter was on hand in the evening for any other arrangements.)
Their courtesy and kindness to us was so unexpected when one hears other stories of New York hotels. The door staff were forever getting bags and opening doors- always with a cheery smile: they were also able to get a cab on a rainy morning which is quite a feat.
Overall, a much better stay than we have had at other hotels ( including the Waldorf Astoria). The 24 hour self service coffee/tea arrangements and also ice- all at no charge- are much appreciated.
Thank you again to all the staff. Would unhesitatingly recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I'd never heard of Hotel Chandler before, but it was a nice stay. One block toward Broadway (going west) was a Dunkin Donuts and subway and around the corner heading east was a tasty cafe place sort of like EuroPan that you find around the Times Square and surrounding areas. Chandler offered complimentary tea/coffee and computer use all day (1 computer) and a breakfast and bar area (you pay). A short walk to Broadway, Macy's, Manhattan Mall, and the 34th/35th street shopping district. Close by was also a cool bar called Tonic (the east location, not Times Square). It had a very cool roof top, but beware inside Tonic is very dark went during the day on a Sunday and it was dark, don't wear shades (sunglasses). Chandler's bathroom was small, but the style/decor of it was very nice and offered great light. Beds were comfy and the in-room safe a nice addition. Give the Chandler a try.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I can't say enough great things about the Hotel Chandler. Great beds, very clean, friendly staff and an all around pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2009

It started when our check-in was delayed and the staff kept giving different reasons. First, the previous guest hadn't checked out, then the room wasn't clean, then engineering had to attend to the room for some mysterious reason. The irritating part was first being told to check back in an hour. Sat in the lounge, checked back in an hour and were told "not yet, come back in an hour or two". We went to lunch at the only restaurant we could find, which was 5-6 blocks away. Not too bad of a walk except when you didn't arrive in sensible shoes and your walking shoes are being held hostage in the luggage room. Came back two hours later and was told "engineering had to be called in to take care of a problem" and it should be another hour. Sat in the lounge worrying that we wouldn't get into our room in time to quickly freshen up and change clothes in order to make our dinner reservations and get to a 8pm theater show. We finally got into our room at 4:30pm. We were back downstairs by 5:00pm. Asked the doorman to get us a cab and he told us it would take at least a half hour at that time of day. We walked to the corner and hailed our own cab in a couple of minutes.

Came back to the hotel, looking forward to a well-earned martini after a dificult day of traveling, only to find the bar closed. Despite the fact we were there during the hours posted on the door. Just thought we got off to a bad start and called it a night.

The first day made the mistake of going into their "restaurant" (only serves breakfast) for breakfast. They had a skimpy buffet set up. Bagels, two kinds of dry cereal, yogurt, fruit and some pastries. Similar to the "free" buffet at a "Days Inn". Made the mistake of only glancing at the menu and saw the buffet was $16. I asked if I could get something other than the buffet, like scrambled eggs and bacon. Our waiter said "sure". Knowing the buffet price, I was prepared to pay a similar price for the eggs and bacon and asked if I could have a pancake instead of toast.. I believe the eggs, bacon and pancake all came out of microwave or possibly were cooked a few days before and just sitting out somewhere, because despite being the only customers in the restaurant, the food came out at room temperature. The eggs were dry, small pieces (unlike any scrambled eggs I've ever seen), there were 3 narrow strips of cold, dry bacon and the pancake was like rubber. My friend opted for the buffet, but after scanning the selections only came back with a small cup of yogurt and a muffin. My friend finished her yogurt and was in mid-bite on her muffin when the waiter came and took away her plate and silverware. Leaving her nowhere to set her muffin down and heaven forbid if she wanted another cup of yogurt. (Silverware was not at the buffet, only on the table.) The bad news is that I paid $25 for my dried eggs, bacon, and cold pancake. The good news is that my friend wasn't charged $16 for the 4oz yogurt and mini-muffin that she had.

That night seeing people in the bar with drinks and gathered around the door outside, we felt that the bar was open. We sat in the bar for a half hour and no bartender appeared. The people in the bar were very young, seemed a bit overserved, and I don't believe they were staying at the hotel. Maybe they let themselves in and made their own drinks? The next evening we saw someone behind the bar and a couple of people sitting on stools (once again looked like young, rowdy locals), but figured if we went in there something would go wrong (like a receiving a bad, expensive drink or maybe we just missed last call). The bar also was very tiny. About a dozen people would make it crowded.

The room was fine. Nicely decorated. The maid service was good.

I think my main complaints are:
The bad location. Nowhere close to get a cup of coffee, a bottle of water, a quick bite to eat or a drink. The hotel does have 24 hour complimentary coffee and tea service in the lobby area. The coffee was good enough. But I was dying for a "Starbucks-like" place to get a serious cup of coffee.
and
The poor service people. When we asked questions at the desk such as where is a nearby restaurant, or when is the bar open, we were first met with a blank stare and then a "I don't know". I almost felt like I was in a foreign country that spoke a different language due to the lack of response. The restaurant was almost comical with the snatching away of the plate and then they very quickly brought us our check to sign before I was done picking at the eggs. And on top of all that, on the way out the door, we were questioned about our name and room number ad the waiter franticly checked what appeared to be a hotel listing (as if we snuck into the hotel to eat the horrible $25 breakfast). I was getting prepared to present room key, photo ID, and fingerprints as identification, but the waiter found our name on the list and all was fine. Did I mention this is a small hotel? Not like he had to check hundreds of names or rooms. It looked like the hotel may have been recently remodeled or opened and maybe I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the majority of the staff is inexperienced?

If you need a room and are in no hurry to get it and need nothing else, it's an okay place to stay. Otherwise, it's horrible.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends