“Simple yet elegant in NY”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #121 of 467 Hotels in New York City
polonorte
“Simple yet elegant in NY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were in New York for a weekend at the Met Opera and stayed at the Hotel Chandler of the SLH group.

The hotel is off the 5th. Ave, close to the attractions and shops, yet away of the noise and crowds of the big city. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, breakfast was nice and also there was a coffee station on the lobby; however, what made the Chandler a super place to stay is the service of employees like Michael Stewart, that demonstrated to us that his job was to made us feel at home away from home during our stay there.

Mr Stewart was a combination of Manager of Customer Services, Concierge, Front desk attendant, Butler, Guide etc. all in one package. He had an answer for every thing.

The bottle of wine and the chocolates were a nice touch to have after the opera.

Definitely we will stay there again, and highly recommend to anyone who likes to be in a simple yet elegant small hotel.

Room Tip: Suite 833 is excellent.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear SmallbearPolonorte:

Thank you so much for your recent review. Your comments have been shared with the staff in particular with Michael at the front desk. Its feedback like this that helps to motivate the staff and set an example for the rest of the team.

My sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your experience.

Kate Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Having read the positive reviews about this hotel I was somewhat disappointed following my recent stay. I stayed at the hotel for one night on 14 March 2013 before returning to the United Kingdom on 15 March 2013.

When I arrived at the hotel I checked in and was allocated a room on the 10th floor. This was in line with my booking when I had asked for a room on a high floor. Unknown to me the front desk staff had upgraded my room. I was given room 1033 which was in fact a suite (i.e. bedroom and lounge). However, as I sat in the lounge of the room and turned on the tv, I noticed a layer of dust on the table in the room. I then looked at the wooden mantlepiece situated below the tv and found a similar layer of dust. The wooden blinds in the room were also covered in dust! Thankfully I had not unpacked my case.

I returned to the front desk to explain the situation. The staff were excellent and quickly allocated me another room on the same floor and apologised for the dust in the room.

My obseravtions of the hotel is that it is part of the small luxury hotel group of hotels. So bear that in mind as the rooms are small in comparison to the larger hotels in New York. The bed was comfortable and the batthroom was clean and had a range of toiletries. There were also two fluffy robes available for guests to wear. The bathroom had a walk-in shower which was fairly large when compared to the size of the room. My only other issue was that despite being on the 10th floor I could still hear the noise of the traffic outside the hotel even with the windows closed.

On a positive note, I found the staff to be extremely friendly and personable and a credit to the hotel.

However, having paid over £300 for my room it was somewhat disappointing that I had to complain about dust in the room. This was the fourth hotel I had stayed at during a 9 day trip which involved stays in hotels at London Heathrow Airport, New York and Orlando and the only hotel which I had cause for concern.

Sadly, I do not think I will return to this hotel in the future. Perhaps I was just unlucky!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Paul O.:

Thank you for your recent review. We have thoroughly addressed the issues that you had on your short stay with us. Clearly the level of cleanliness you experienced in your room is not up to our standard and I am sincerely sorry that you experienced this. I am happy that we were able to move you immediately and that the staff handled it quickly.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly when making your next reservation.

melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Words cant not describe our love for this gem. It is so perfect, that they've inspired me to write my very first review on tripadvisor! (and trust me, I've spent a ridiculous amount of my life in hotels). They are in a league of their own - the feel they've created is unique and can not be reproduced by anyone else, anywhere!

Here are my main highlights:

1) New York is so charming - and Hotel Chandler is successful in ensuring that charm continues once you walk through their doors!! It is definitely the warmest metropolitan hotel I've come across. They have the PERFECT balance - has this old new york charm about it; quaint and warm but it does not skip out on the luxuries of a bigger hotel and staff were readily available and very attentive (without making you feel watched) and never did they switch into this fake over-friendly mode like most other 4.5-5 star hotels do; and fellow tourists (if ever you bump into them) weren't snobby, but seemed equally as warm and happy. I hate going to bigger hotels where you always encounter large crowds, and often see stressed-out faces or see people strutting around with this demeanour of arrogance. Oh that's right - arrogance and egos are non-existent here

2) The staff go beyond their call of duty - friendly and obliging (without making you feel at all comfortable). It seems they just genuinely want to see you happy. You always receive a warm hello from the maids and the bellboys whenever you cross them in the hallways. The conceirge, Charlie, arranged a surprise for my partner's 30th birthday - he even personally wrote a card to sincerely wishing him a happy and loving one. And his taste in gourmet chocolate and wine (and the way they were presented) are impeccable! I seriously melted into their lovely bed and bathrobe after taking a bite and having a sip. LOVE

3) Location! Location! Location! slap bang right in the middle of everything. It is located between two major train stations/lines so every tourist attraction is within reach. And even without the trains, you can still easily walk from here to all the main tourist destinations! I can't count the amount of times I've said to my partner "oh let's just walk it!". always a pleasant stroll in between destinations, with many shops in between, and no shady people/alleys/corners.

The only thing I thought may be a potential problem (but not to me) is the slowness of the lift - not that you end up sharing it with a lot of people, and not that there are many levels to service. Maybe it's a good thing that it's slow - forces you to relax, take it easy, and take in the vibe of the place :)

THANK-YOU HOTEL CHANDLER, NEW YORK!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sola Municipality, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The location was great and the service was excellent. The staff did everything they could to help us to have the best time in NY. 3 blocks to Macy`s and Emire State building and nearby Time Square. I will sertainly come back...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wibrib
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great Hotel in a very good location, extremely friendly and helpful staff.
I thought the room we stayed in was a good size by Manhattan standards with a good size Bathroom.
The Hotel gave my wife A bottle of Wine and box of Chocolates on her Birthday which was a very nice touch.
Will definitely saty again when next in new York.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Milnthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here on business just before St. Patrick's Day. The room is very well appointed and the staff are absolute stars for their friendliness and attention to detail. The only disappointment for me was the in-room dining menu - totally uninspired. Now of course New York is FULL of wonderful places to eat, but that first night in, after an overseas flight, I just wanted to eat in.

Room Tip: Turn down the heating the minute you get into the room - they are WARM!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear LauraBG:

Thank you so much for your review! I wanted to advise you this spring we are opening our new restaurant Juni which will also offer a full room service menu showcasing many of the items on the restaurant menu. Unfortunately while we build our new kitchen we are limited in the items we can offer on the room service menu. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope you will be pleased with the new room service menu!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed there for 2 nights. Location is very convenient (though not exciting). Rooms are small but very well kept with beautiful frette robes and other nice treats. Staff is extremely courteous and accommodating. I would go back

• Stayed March 2013