“Midtown Gem”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #127 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Love this hotel! Rooms are a little small but they pack a lot of comfort into them. Super comfortable bed, Molton Brown amenities, clean bathroom and friendly staff. Great location too. I will definitely be back

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kriskaz
There are newer reviews for Hotel Chandler

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The property is very nice but the staff will make you love this hotel. Every staff person I encountered was friendly and helpful. Thanks to my SLH membership, my room was upgraded and a nice bottle of wine delivered shortly after check in.

My room was on the 7th floor and was quiet. For NYC standards, I thought the rooms were quite generously sized. I was in a King Suite and my colleague was in a Queen Deluxe. The decor is warm contemporary. Radiators control the room temp and I was able to turn down the temp to a comfortable sleeping temperature.

The gym is housed in a former hotel room on the 2nd floor. There is a treadmill and an elliptical in addition to some free weights and a couple of machines. At the time of my stay, the water cooler was not in the gym (reportedly to be moved soon), but the staff kindly refilled my bottle from the front desk.

Room Tip: Higher floors are likely better; upgrade if it's offered.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear DawnR17,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your patience while we finish putting the last touches on our fitness center. We decided to move the fitness center to allow more privacy for our guests as the feedback we received is that they did not like accessing it by going through the lobby. You will be happy to know that water is now available, however it is not quite complete yet as we are expecting new flooring and new mirrored walls with hidden TV’s!

We look forward to your feedback on your next stay,

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Though I stayed at the Hotel Chandler only one night, I was impressed already with it. Upon entering the lobby, you get a nice "old club" atmosphere - warm and serene. Really friendly staff. Though the room was small, the space was well planned. The bathroom was a nice size, and the toiletry was from Molton Brown! There was free hot water for tea and hot coffee in the lobby. A computer and printer in the lobby was available for guests to use. Wifi was good. Around the block was a 24hr CVS, and further down on 32nd was "Korean Way" -- yum! Close to Penn Station (which was what attracted me to this hotel in the first place)

I will definitely recommend this to my friends and will stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was the 2nd time I stayed at this hotel. I researched the prices of this hotel and found that booking with them direct was cheaper than Hotels.com and other travel sites. The rooms are always very clean and very quaint. The hotel staff will clean your room whenever you ask them, like if you sleep in or something. The view out my hotel window wasn't a view at all, just brick walls...however if you are like me and like to stay out in the city late night, you won't know what time it is due to the view! The only issue I had was with reservations, the lady I spoke with couldn't find my confirmation, and asked me to rebook. When I did so, she found my 1st reservation. It was a bit annoying but easily fixed. I highly recommend this hotel for its charm, ease and staff.

Room Tip: If you like to party in the city and stay out late, get a room that faces inward so that you don'...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear George S:

My sincerest apologies for the confusion with your reservation I understand that reservations made an error which warranted a call back by you unnecessarily. I am happy that you however did enjoy your stay with us and that we were able to make up for the confusion.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Hotel Chandler remains our lodging of choice in the Big Apple. Three block from the Empire State Building, it's location is perfect for Theater, Central Park and a trip downtown. Our room was well-appointed and the facility immaculate. Mostly, however, what makes the Hotel Chandler the place to stay is the staff. From the bellmen, to the desk clerks, the manager and bartender, smiles, kindness and hospitality are ever present. "What can we do for you" are their constant refrain.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bretjina

Dear Bretjina:

Thank you so much for your review! I am so happy to hear that our staff have gone above and beyond to make you feel welcomed.

We look forward to welcoming you back again,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We debated 3 or 4 stars but decided, barely, on 4.

Our hotel basics are a quiet and clean room with a good bed. Our room at the Chandler was very quiet, reasonably clean with an ok bed - a bit lumpy. But the fixtures and furniture were very heavily used, there was grout missing around the tub and the hall carpet wasn't vacuumed for several day - until we finally mentioned it to someone. They failed to clean our room one day, and it took a long time to finally get it done. However, they sent up a complimentary bottle of wine to apologize, which was very nice.

In the end, we liked the hotel, particularly for the price, but couldn't agree with the more glowing reviews.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My overall stay was perfect, except for an incident that made me unhappy and that was with one specif front desk lady, although she was nice with me, I asked her to change one hundred bill fro me and this was not the first time, but the third time, she gave me back the change without counting it in front of me, unfortunately, I went out and wanted to buy something cost $98 and I discovered I have only $96, I have reported this incident to the Manager on Duty and she seems to be in her staff side saying she trust her and she never do that, well I told her this is happened three times and she is not counting the money in front of me and you can refer back to the security camera, any how money is not important because it is a small amount, but the action is not right.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Hamad1964:

I am so sorry that our front desk did not follow the proper policy and count the money in front of you when making change. I can assure you the short changing you of $4.00 was a mistake and not intentional. As the manager said we are more than happy to refund you the $4.00.

My apologies for any inconvenience this casued and thank you for bringing this to our attention.