“Perfect for a short break in New York!”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #127 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have just stayed at the Chandler for 4 nights with my girlfriend to celebrate my Birthday.....and what a perfect choice!
The hotel itself is perfectly located in Midtown and done to a high standard which reflects its rating.
The hotel is quiet and has a relaxed feel which is great after a days sight seeing. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. They advised us on where to eat...allowed us a later check out due to a late flight home and even sent wine,chocolates and a card to the room for my Birthday. Its touches like these that make the difference! The door staff/concierge were always opening doors for you and run off down the road to get you a cab if you need one!
The rooms are finished to a high standard.....mega comfy bed and a perfect shower with large rainfall head.You get lovely toiletries,turn down service and chocolates for when you return after a night out. Admittedly the rooms are on the smaller size but perfect enough for a short break when
you are not in the room much anyway.
The lobby has 24/7 tea and coffee and the hotel bar,albeit not to busy, has a lovely atmosphere to it, good service and a nice place to start or end the evening. The free wi-fi at the hotel is great as well!
The only slight moan.....The hotel is having the next door renovated for a new restaurant. This will not effect your stay at all but during the week you will hear a bit of noise from about 8.30am when the workman start. The rooms are very quiet but you may hear slight noise from this time albeit its not to bad and if you are, like us, spending time exploring the city then its not really an unreasonable time as you are up then anyway!

My g.f did a lot of research s to where to stay.....and she did a great job. I recommend so enjoy!

2  Thank cheekyukguy
There are newer reviews for Hotel Chandler

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Chandler in February of 2013 with my partner. We expected the hotel to be good due to the reviews on trip advisor and we were definitely not disappointed!

Location - Fantastic. A minute walk from broadway. 15 minutes walk from Times Square. 2 blocks down from the Empire State Building. 10 minutes walk from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station. Two subway stations within 5 minutes walking distance. The area is nice and we felt quite safe walking around there. Perfect!

Room - Upon reading trip advisor reviews we booked a deluxe king because we were told they were a bit larger. Well, if they were larger than queen rooms must be tiny! The room is not big, the bathroom is a closet basically. However, from what we could gather of New York that is pretty much normal. Bed was comfortable however while it is advertised as a King bed it is actually two singles pushed together (which I hate). Bathroom with rainful shower is lovely.

Amenities - Gym was average. Weights go to 50 pounds which is reasonable but not fantastic.

Staff - Were absolutely fantastic. So helpful and would always go above and beyond to meet our needs. Were very friendly and genuine which we appreciated above all. Upon arrival we were amazed at their attentiveness (they went through a map of NYC with us pointing out all the top tourist attractions and so on).

100% recommend for business or leisure. Fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Go with a King Deluxe for a slightly larger room,.
4  Thank ABP_11
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We arrived at 11am and we did not mind at all that the room wasn't ready as the receptionist was really helpful and let us drop off our luggage. She also invited us to make use of the complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby. We came back late that night and the staff on duty were again very helpful and welcoming and when we checked in to our room, there was the lovely surprise of a bottle of Chanti, some chocolates and a welcome card from the General Manager. We were overwhelmed (in a good way!) at this & spent a very peaceful night in comfortable beds. The attention to detail was fantastic and we were thrilled to receive a complimentary late check-out at 1pm. Would love to stay again when I'm back in NY!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ELK1991
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hotel Chandler is extremely conveniently located between two subway lines making it very easy to get around. The facility was immaculate as were the actual rooms. The hotel is well cared for and I could not believe how quiet the rooms were! The staff was friendly and in the evenings would head over to Ace Hotel for cocktails. Very glad I chose to stay at Hotel Chandler versus the Ace. Slept like a baby and would definitely return to and recommend to anyone headed to New York to stay at Hotel Chandler.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very good location for midtown convenience mid-way between Union Square and Times Square with plenty of good local restaurants at all price levels. Very friendly and accomodating staff. Big drawback was the tiny room facing a brick wall and the horrendous noise made by the plumbing, which seemed to come to the room above. I asked to switch rooms and unfortunately was told the only other room available was a suite at almost double the rate I had originallly booked. I switched as a good night's sleep was more important than saving money. I would return to the Chandler but only if I was able to verify the size and location of the room to be given to me.

Room Tip: Ask if the room is an "inside" room, which means you will have a view of a brick wall, unl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is pretty, clean, well located, and the concierges are amazing, but unfortunately we did not have a great experience. It does not seem great for families with babies. Initially we booked our stay online for a room with a queen bed, and we thought (as it happens in many hotels) that there was going to be space for the little cribs we brought with us (at least one) having two babies, but it was not. The first room that was assigned to us was too small that we would have to put the cribs in the bathroom. After that, they gave us a second room, tight as well, but we could make it there with very little space for us to walk in the room. We could only install one little crib. The day we left was not great. They have your car at a close parking lot/building, even though we called 20 minutes in advance for the check out, we had to wait an hour and 10 minutes for our car downstairs with the babies hungry and tired. Additionally one of the guys at the front desk helped two other clients before us even though we were there first, it made me feel that he did it because we were Latinos. (I have never felt discriminated in this country, but I have the sensation that the guy wanted to attend first other people before helping us because of that, I might be wrong). I think his name was George. Believe me, my husband and I are very easy people and we can adapt easily to different situations without complaints, but this time it was too much for us and the babies. I think we have to learn better how to book hotels in NYC when visiting with babies.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paula2526
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Paula2526:

Thank you for your recent review. I was upset to read that you felt discriminated against by one our employees. I am sorry that he did not acknowledge you and make sure that you were taken care of promptly.
We tried to research why you experienced such a delay in retrieving your car from the garage but unfortunately due to the fact that it was back in October I was not able to get any information. You called with plenty of time and even on busy Sunday mornings; cars don’t take longer than 1/2 hour to be retrieved. My apologies for the delay and the issue has been addressed with the parking garage.
Lastly I am sorry that we did not retrieve the proper information from Hotwire when you made your reservation. There was no indication you were travelling with young children or that you would require a room to accommodate two small cribs. We encourage all our guests regardless of how they book to always call us in advance and inform us of any such information so that we are better prepared to accommodate you. The room type you booked was run of the house but I do see we upgraded you to a deluxe king to try and accommodate your needs. Unless a suite is booked unfortunately we would not be able to accommodate two cribs in a regular room.

Kate Martin

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel was great. The staff was pleasant and the hotel was very clean. I was very impressed and happy that I received great value for my money. In addition, I was thrilled that they offered valet parking (additional expense) which in my opinion adds a huge convenience. If you are someone who goes over board with research stop right now. This place will not let you down.

Room Tip: I selected a standard room and received a queen size bed.