“Charming Chandler”

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #133 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Charming Chandler”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stepped into Hotel Chandler on the morning after Sandy. Previous day was a nightmare having no power and water in Roger Williams hotel just across the street. I had a room in that hotel, a tiny one at that while comparing to what I saw in Chandler. I went into Chandler to wake my colleague from whom I had to collect a key for our office which was just a block away. Walter was the man in the reception and from then onwards everything was smooth for me. He followed rules but at the same time helped me to get to my colleague. I got a room then and there and stayed for the next three nights until the end of the week so that I could manage our disaster recovery operations from the city. I found everything nice with this hotel and wondered why I did not go for it in the first place. I recommend this hotel very much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MWRobertson, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Why thank you! Yes, we are located in a very convenient part of New York City, easily accessible to many businesses and sights. I love that you use the word 'charming' - I like to think we are charming!

Hoping to cross paths again!

Regards,

Mark Robertson
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my first time at the Chandler, and it will be my choice when I return. Although phones were out of service right after Hurricane Sandy, I found out through Chandler's blog that they still had power and were open. All staff members were especially friendly and helpful. Despite all the current difficulties caused by the hurricane, the desk clerk was kind enough to find me a room with more space to allow my NY daughter (who was without power) stay in my room with me. Rooms and bathrooms are spotless and up to date. The best towels and robes I have ever enjoyed in a hotel. This hotel had the best reviews by far among comparable hotels in the area, and I can see why!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MWRobertson, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and for weathering Sandy out with us! I am very happy you enjoyed the plush robes and towels, they are from Frette, a luxurious Italian brand.

We look forward to welcoming you back - without Sandy this time!

Regards,

MR
New York
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Hotel Chandler was our saviour during Hurricane Sandy. Working through power and computer difficulties, they were able to find a room for a couple of displaced New Yorkers and were nothing less than excellent.

The hotel itself was charming and well located... especially if you like Korean BBQ. The room was small, but well and tastefully appointed. At that point we were just looking for heat and hot water, but Hotel Chandler delivered so much more. I can't say enough about the entire staff. One of the most kind and courteous groups of employees I've ever encountered.

I would not hesitate to point friends and other travelers to the Chandler.

Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank admixer
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed in Hotel Chandler in NYC, all of the upgrading work is now completed and the hotel is very comfortable has great front desk staff who were always available to help with any issues we had. Our room was wonderful and faced onto 31st Street, our bathroom was large and extremely well appointed, it was a pleasure to wrap up in the frette towels after a wonderful power shower

Room Tip: Try for a room facing onto 31st Street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
belleville, ontario, canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we had arrived friday before "sandy", not realizing what lay ahead monday, the day we were supposed to fly back to toronto. Hotel Chandler, on 31st street, somehow managed to keep power, and despite their concerns about maintaining elevators, housekeeping, and guest services, things were flawless. Staff, all stuck far from home like we were, were cheerful, helpful and patient. The Hotel, itself, is nicely appointed, and well-located. Definite recommend, and would be more thatn happy to return, ideally without another frankenstorm to contend with.

Room Tip: There is no pool, but I cannot make the "terrible" rating click off. Views are not spectac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Was staying here during the Hurricane and were due to check out on the Monday the storm ended. Our flight was cancelled for another 3 days. The hotel made us a priority to keep our room and said if we found an earlier flight we could cancel anytime. They gave warning of possible elevator outages and what to do if we lost power. They found us places open to eat and a guaranteed ride to the airport. It was also my birthday there and I received wine an chocolates and a card.
Nice clean rooms, great service and nice central location. I will return here next time in New York.

• Stayed October 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I come to NY regularly for business, and the Chandler has been my preferred hotel for the past six years. Amazing staff, wonderful beds, luxurious towels and toiletries, and hot coffee round the clock.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business