“What amazing leadership can do!”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #389 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“What amazing leadership can do!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

As a serial entrepreneur it never surprises me what amazing leadership and service can do to influence an experience . My partner and I travel in and out of hotels several times a month on both business and adventure. We booked the Hudson on hotels.com with the intent of staying 7 days. We arrived to find we were in one of the smallest rooms ( think shoe box). We spoke with a front deal person to get a larger room which would have required a significant price increase. After a bit of negotiation and not much response we decided we would be checking out. My partner spoke with the manager with Alex who assured us he wanted to make our stay as pleasant as possible. He upgraded our room, offered us a complimentary drink, and several additional nice to haves for the room. He toured us personally through several options in rooms. It was one of the best customer service experiences ever. He checked on us during our stay and assured us if we needed any additional support to call him. We have been here a week and it is just fabulous! Amazing what leadership and good service can do to change a situation 180 degrees!

Room Tip: Look at the different rooms as they are unique in very different ways
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
To SusanJeffery2014

Thank you for your review of Hudson! I'm glad to see you guys enjoyed the rest of your stay at Hudson! I hope the next few days you extended through went just as well. I hope we can keep an open dialogue for when you guys want to take a stay-cation in NYC. I do hope you find the place for yourselves in NYC and always know that Hudson is here for you as well.

Thank you once again for staying with us

Alex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 9, 2014

OK. This is supposed to be a "hip" hotel. What it really is is a glorified hostel. It used to be a dormitory, people! And the rates aren't cheap! The rooms are so tiny (yes, I know alot of NYC hotel rooms are), you have to turn sideways to scoot around the (double) bed. We were booked into this hotel by a travel agent working for our PR firm. They have been put on notice: NEVER AGAIN. It got one star for cleanliness, if you don't count the nasty carpet in the (dismal) hallways. That's about it. Terribly slow checkin process. Call down to the front desk or room service? No answer. IF you finally get room service, no pot of coffee available even though they don't offer in room coffee setups. They bring you a paper cup of coffee, small or large. We moved after two nights! What a relief!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
To Deanna L,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience at Hudson. Through constructive criticism is how one can go and make proper changes to insure comfortable stays. I do apologize deeply that your stay with us wasn't what was expected. In the near future we will be having breakfast and lunch in house at our Hudson Common. Not having coffee readily available in the room can be a challenge but we will be having it offered outside of the room service. I would like to invite you back to give us one more try. Please reach out to me so that I may overlook your next booking and to insure a more comfortable stay.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Comfortable hotel with friendly staff and all the facilities you need. The room was comfortable and not as small as expected. Great location near Central Park and Subway station. Walking distance to Guggenheim, The Met, MoMA, Times Square, Rockefeller Center etc.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 23rd floor and had a view of the Hudson River. The only voice that bothered us was...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
To Ragnhild N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Hudson. Our location is prime when visiting New York City. We are close to almost anything that one can do in the city. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your time at Hudson. The next time you come to the City please let us know so we can welcome you back with open arms and bigger smiles!

Fairway, Kansas
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Hudson's guest services go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that every guest who stays in their hotel is treated like family. I am more than impressed with their guest relations manager, Alex. The Hudson's amazing staff and beautiful hotel will definitely make me return again and again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mary G
To Mary G,

Thank you for such an amazing comment! We take pride in our guest services and drive home to all our staff from the front of house to the back of house to engage dynamic guest experience. I'm happy to see that all of us at Hudson could make your stay enjoyable. Please reach out to me again so that I may insure a comfortable stay.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed in this hotel in February, had an excellent stay. Rooms are rather on the small side but comfortable.
Great location near central park, plenty of nice restaurants and delis near to grab breakfast. Around a 20 minute walk to times square.
We were really impressed with the lobby and bar areas. Unfortunately with it being February the garden terrace was not open, but it looked like it would be amazing in the spring and summer months. Overall a excellent stay and would definitely stay again when visiting New York.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Travel27007,

Thank you for such a lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hudson. Our decor is definitely unique and it drives our lifestyle hospitality. I would love to have an open dialogue with you about a future stay with us. Please reach out to me so that I may help you out.

West Hollywood, California, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The Hudson is in the perfect location with cool lobby, cooler lounge areas, sexy staff and chic decor. That's what we "love." But the list of "hates" is much longer. The rooms are micro small. The windows have zero insulation so you hear everything outside, sirens, honking, screeching, people yelling, etc. Inside is worse. The doors slam constantly. No joke. Slamming doors all day (maids) and all night (guests). The elevators are packed and you often have to wait for 2-3 before you can squeeze in. The escalators are frequently broken. And then there's the "high speed" wi-fi. LOL It's super slow speed IF (and that's a BIG "if") it works at all. I was on the phone every day with "support" which sounded like it was in the Philippines or India. The problem was never resolved and they billed me $14.95 per day. Total rip off. Overall, a decent price, great location but awful sleep quality.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael S
Hello Michael S,

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at Hudson. I'm sorry that you experienced such slow everything while here with us. I would like to invite you back to be able to experience a better stay. Reach out to me and I'll do my best to insure a more comfortable and serviceable stay.

london
Reviewed April 6, 2014

For Manhattan this provides excellent value and a great location. The Hotel is busy and clearly has a high turnover which can make it feel impersonal. The rooms are small, but pay extra for a slightly better room and it has everything you could need. The room design is great, the service is good and the rooms are clean. Perfect for Central Park or the Lincoln Center, also great for getting to Broadway or shopping on Fifth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank zane_8
Hello zane_8,

My name is Alex and I would like to thank you for writing a review of Hudson. Our location is key to travelers when visiting New York City. I feel we are in the best neighborhood as we are situated right in between Upper West Side and Hell's Kitchen. Plenty to do! The next time you come to NYC please reach out to me so that I may help you out!