“Compact and Comfortable”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #391 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 7, 2014

For travelers who appreciate comfort in compact spaces, the Hudson's single rooms are an excellent base from which to enjoy MidTown Manhattan. Space is not wasted and if you haven't filled your luggage with excess, you'll have the opportunity to appreciate the truth that less is more. While the hotel was selected by meeting planners, I would go back again on a personal trip. The heating system is a bit noisy, at least it was in my room, but so is the City, so it was a friendly noise.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Alex D, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Hi Ya Charlotte_Preston,

My name is Alex and I am one of the Managers here at Hudson. Thank you for taking the time to fill out a TripAdvisor. Compact and Comfortable is hitting the nail on the head! I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our space. We do have some awesome venues as well that will be re-opening during the summer months. The Sky Terrace and our Tequila Park are outside venues that offer a picturesque view of the city. I invite you back to stay with us again!

Please reach out to me so that I may look over your next booking at Hudson.

Have a great one,

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed solo at the Hudson for 2 nights over a weekend. This was my 4th visit over the past few years, so I knew what I would be getting - a great location (close to Lincoln Center, Columbus Circle and the subway system), but a room on the smaller side. This time I was pleasantly surprised that my standard single room was upgraded (without my asking!) to a larger room with double bed. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean. The floors are wood (no grungy carpets). There was a small desk with desk lamp in the bedroom. The lamps and furniture are modern and trendy. Storage space for clothing was very limited but I set up the ironing board and used it to stack clothing. Luckily I only had a small rollaboard suitcase with me. A major problem was the noisy heating unit. This made a loud mechanical/wheezy noise that disturbed my sleep so I turned it off and wore a thick sweatshirt for warmth. The front desk staff members are very pleasant. The room was not expensive (perhaps because off-season) and I felt it was good value for the money. I would stay at the Hudson again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Hello TravelFan48105,

It was a pleasure reading the survey you gave us! I want to thank you for staying with us not too long ago in February. Our rooms are on the cozier side and I'm happy to see that we were able to upgrade you to a bigger room for your continued stays with us. Using the ironing board for placement of clothes is something new and I applaud you for your cleverness. I think I may start doing that at home! I do apologize for the unit being noisy, I'm sure that was a bit frustrating. I would love to invite you back to experience us again!

Please reach out to me so that I may overlook your booking.

I hope all is well,

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I've stayed in this hotel many times (well, 5 or 6) because of the location and rate. Each experience has been different, I think because the rooms have irregular sizes. As noted in other reviews, the reception area is ridiculously dark--all one can think is that they must not need to clean it very often, as you can barely see to sign your credit card bill. There used to be a good brunch restaurant on the reception floor, but that's now gone.

The rooms are very small-- fine for one person, difficult for two, even with the "superior" queen. There are not many outlets, although they do supply you with an octopus cord, so once you've moved the bed to access an electric source you can charge your devices. Not much storage, comically small bathrooms. The room I stayed in recently had the toilet jammed up against the wall so that only a toddler would have enough knee room to be seated. Everyone older than 5 would need to use it sideways.

The walls are very thin, so if your neighbors are having a conversation in normal tones, you can join in.

This time, the elevators on my floor opened to the an incredibly pungent odor of weed mixed with strawberry air freshener. It was chokingly strong when I checked in at 3. At 8 PM when I returned to the floor, the odor had not diminished.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

To GlassParsnip,

My name is Alex and I am one of the Managers at Hudson. Thank you for being a repeat guest with us! It is always nice to see people return. Being Central to Manhattan is definitely a plus for travelers. Especially if you are on business, we are close enough to all the fun but far enough to not be caught in the high traffic tourist spots. We did have a fun brunch about a year ago and it had stopped but I would like to inform you that in the near future we will be offering a breakfast and lunch option within the Hotel. I hope we can have you back to enjoy what will be a new experience. The next time you come to NYC please let me know so that I can take a look at your booking.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us,

Hope all is well in Philadelphia,

Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was my first time to NYC so I was really pleased when I realised the great location of this hotel by Columbus Circle. If you stay on 58/59th where this hotel is and walk East towards 5th and Madison, there are lots of shops and a big Bloomingdales which is great. It is also on the doorstep of Central Park which is a must when visiting NYC. The hotel itself is very trendy with low lighting, which I have to admit got on my nerves by the end, it would be nice to have more light in the lobby! The room was a superior room which was a bit surprising seeing as it wasn't any bigger than a box, and the bathroom was stupidly small. I would hate to see what the standard rooms were like. But they were clean and modern which is great, and I expected the smallness having been warned that most NYC hotels are like this. One thing that surprised me about this hotel was that despite being on the 14th floor, the windows were terrible meaning the noise from the street was very loud. Great to have free wi-fi, that was a big tick. But room service was terrible and a cup of coffee I order one morning cost be almost $10 with the charges on top. The bar to the back on the hotel was really nice, better lit lol and very relaxed with great staff and wicked cocktails. The only downfall was the price. $18 for a glass of prosecco which was $10 everywhere else I went, including at one of the top 50 resturants in NYC that we went to. And out of all the prosecco I drank in NYC, ironically this most expensive one was actually the worst. I would actually give this hotel a 3.5 stars, not 4. And would I recommend it? Yes if you can get the prices we did, i.e. $100 a night otherwise shop around.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello JenLott81,

I would first like to thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Hudson. Our decor is definitely on the chic side. We have quite the original and iconic look down. I love where we are located in Manhattan, basically the border of Hells Kitchen and the Upper West Side. A lot of restaurants and culture in our neighborhood that's for sure. I would like to mention that in our future we will be having a breakfast and lunch option in-house. So that coffee and breakfast won't be a shock to your system when you see the bill. We hope to see you at Hudson again, the next time you come to NYC please reach out to me.

I hope all is well,

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed here over christmas it's a lovely hotel but very dark in reception the bedrooms are very small very limited to hang your clothes asked about upgrading but you had to pay extra for not much extra space sorry will not stay there again.

Room Tip: would not bother unless you don't mind little space
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Susie1982,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of Hudson. I apologize that the hotel didn't seem to click for you while staying with us. Our rooms can be a bit cozy, but we do have larger rooms that do run at a higher rate. You mentioned you wouldn't stay here again but I would like to invite you back. Please reach out to me so that way I can help build your experience with us at Hudson.

I hope you are well,

Thank you again for filling out the review,

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Pros - Hospitality: everyone is always smiling and ready to help. Very educated and polite. Design: hotel is very good looking.
Cons - Room: impressively small. Could not fit two large bags without having to jump over them. Impossible to take a shower without wetting the entire bathroom. Services: Internet free only at lobby and hotel charges for receiving boxes (like orders from amazon).

Room Tip: Smaller rooms are really small!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fredsimi

To Fredsimi,

Hi ya! Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of Hudson! One of the cons you mentioned was our small rooms. Yes our rooms are cozy but we do offer larger room types that would be more comfortable if you are bringing larger pieces of luggage. We'll be more than happy to help you out on your next visit to NYC! Also you mentioned that we charge for receiving boxes. I do apologize that you were not informed of our packaging policy, we do have it posted on our website under policies. Charging for boxes is a standard practice for most hotels in Manhattan.

If you plant to come to NYC again, please reach out to me so that I may look over your booking with us.

Hope all is well,

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The only reason I didn't give it one star is because it's not a roach motel.

I stayed here years ago when the Hudson was "hot". I remember thinking that the room was small, it was overrated, but the restaurant in the basement had a cool vibe. This was probably 10 to 15 years ago. And it seemed expected from a Manhattan hotel.

This hotel has gone from "meh", high design hotel, good location to "don't bother". I'd rather stay at a Hilton Garden Inn in Manhattan. Seriously.

Nothing about this place is functional. It's all superficially "cool design".

The bathrooms in the public spaces are stinky.

The rooms - you can't find any outlets - had to move the furniture around and unplug lamp and clock. The bed squeaks annoyingly. The bathroom door doesn't stay open. The refrigerator looks like it was stuck in an Ikea box. The air system is loud as hell and you can't control it (temperature, fan speed). The wood paneled walls look worn and dated.

Don't let the location, good price point, and "appearance" tempt you.

Room Tip: doesn't exist
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

To StuckOnTravels,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hudson. It seems that you have stayed with us when we first opened and then came back to try again. Thank you for that! The experience you had isn't our standard here and I apologize that you have gone through such a stay.

Seeing that your experience at Hudson didn't go well, I'd still like to invite you back to stay at one of our other Morgans Hotel Group properties in NYC. We have the Royalton, Morgans, and Mondrian SoHo.

If you take another trip into the City please reach out to me so that I may help you out on your next stay. If not with us at least within our family.

Hope all is well,