“Had items stolen from our room”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #391 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 29, 2013

When my daughter and I arrived at The Hudson we were impressed, we had a 'double double' room which was spacious enough, unfortunately our air con continually broke, after complaining 4 times, over two days, we were finally moved room. We moved our luggage on our own, but we were offered help. We arrived on Thursday 4th July 2013, it was out first trip to the US, I took my daughter to NYC for her 16th Birthday. On Saturday morning, after being moved room, my daughter decided to dry and straighten her hair, she left her hair-dryer and GHD's in her suitcase along with her underwear, the suitcase was in the wardrobe, when my daughter opened her case her hair dryer and GHD's were gone, both cost in excess of £190. I reported it immediately and was advised security would contact me, which they did. I was advised they would interview everyone who had access to our room (both rooms) and get back to me, I discussed this with the management however none of the staff seemed to appreciate that one of their staff members stole from us! I was livid, I advised the management it was a Police matter as a theft had occurred, I was told they would do their up-most to investigate the situation, I was told they would call us on our room phone which was broke, despite reporting it, the phone was never repaired. I kept the 'Take a Hike' card on our door for the rest of our stay as I could not trust the staff. The upshot was The Hudson refunded me the cost of our stolen items, I was advised I would be kept informed of their investigation, I haven't heard anything from them. The staff that I met on our stay appeared helpful and approachable however having belongings stolen and they way in which it was handled was very disappointing. It's a shame because when we arrived we both liked The Hudson. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 29, 2013

As a party of six (youngest aged 14), we had three rooms at the Hudson and very much enjoyed our stay. The location is fantastic – close to the corner of Central Park, with good subway connections, and The Metropolitan Museum, Frick Collection, and Times Square are all within walking distance. As other reviews have said, the rooms are small, but you are in the middle of New York, and as all we did there was sleep and shower, this was not a problem. The rooms were very well organised, making good use of the space available, and we had a writing desk, safe, fridge, iron and ironing board. Not sure how you might manage the bathroom if you were above average size, but one of our party had a room with a bath rather than a shower, and the bathroom was a little more spacious. Just a warning - there is clear glass between the shower and the bedroom, and although there is a curtain, you also need to pull the shower curtain across if you like complete privacy on the loo! I would have preferred slightly brighter lighting, but the rooms were clean and the bed the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The roar from air conditioning was quite loud, but as it was a constant background noise it didn’t disturb us – and it was essential with temperatures in the 90s.

The hotel has three bars and an outside courtyard. On the 10th floor we could hear the crowds in the courtyard in the evening, but it wasn’t loud (not heard above the air conditioning), and closed at 10pm. The Sky Terrace is very comfortable, but fills up quickly, so if you want a seat or a hammock you need to get up there early. It also closes at 10pm on the dot, and no minors after 9pm.

Breakfast is not available (except for room service), but they do serve complementary tea and coffee until 11am that you can take out into the courtyard, which is full of sofas and garden chairs. We did this every morning and it was a great chance to meet up and plan our day in pleasant and relaxing surroundings. There is a very good 24 hour diner across the street called Flame, which did nice food at reasonable prices (youngest member of party recommends the Oreo pancakes!). We also liked Route 66 a couple of blocks further down 9th, although it is not quite such good value.

The staff were friendly and cheerful, and the doormen very helpful in looking after our baggage after checkout and finding us a taxi to the airport. We enjoyed our stay, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a bath will have a slightly bigger bathroom, and rooms overlooking the street may have le...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Metella,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your Hudson experience. We are delighted to hear you and your whole party had a great stay with us! It seems like you experienced everything Hudson has to offer! Our newest f&b venue, Henry, will be opening later this year-- you should definitely check it out when your with us next!

Hope to see you again very soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Excellent location in NY. This building has great design & interior. A bit dark. But cool. The staff were nice and helpful. The room, which was a double was tiny. But that's Manhattan I guess. Great views from the roof terrace upstairs. Only negative thing about staying here was our visit to the bar upstairs. The hipsters serving fancy drinks didn't want to serve us. We were told to take a seat and they'd come over. 15 mins later nothing. Despite going to look for them and asking again.

Despite that negative, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Geilstyle
GinelleCorrea, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Geilstyle,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hudson while you visited New York City! I do apologize for the bar service. I will make sure that this comment is mentioned to the staff and addressed appropriately.

Luckily this experience has not changed your mind about returning to Hudson as we would love to welcome you back in the future. If you go to our website, you are able to activate a frequent guest profile. This will allow us to recognize you as a repeat guest when traveling to any of our properties. If you need any help with this, do not hesitate to contact me.

Hopefully we will see you soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location is fantastic, but the customer service is absurdly HORRIBLE. Spoke to three different reps prior to arrival, all with different answers, finally to conclude that they wanted to charge me MORE than I paid for the room to get an room with two full beds (which at most hotels still falls under standard). I paid $138 for the room, and they wanted to charge me an additional $160. And of course they cannot fit a cot in the room (because the rooms are tiny, I've stayed here in the past), which I would have been more than happy with.

What bothers me is the fact that each person had a different answers. One person quoted $120, another $160, and a third told me there were no rooms available with two beds. I have zero tolerance for customer service reps that make me want to rip my hair out of my head.

I am scheduled to stay there, but will eat my money and stay else where. Not worth the absolutely head ache this hotel has caused.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jmcend

Jmcend,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I do regret to see that you did not enjoy your stay at Hudson. I apologize for any confusion or miscommunication you had with our staff. Upgrades are based upon availability, so if someone does not book that category directly, we cannot guarantee that it will be available at check in.

Usually, upgrade charges increase at $40 dollar increments per category. Sometimes our front desk staff are able to provide a discount on this charge, depending on availability and circumstance. I will make sure that I review this with my staff so that everyone if reminded of the correct charges for each room.

Please reach out to me regarding your upcoming stay. We would like you to continue being a loyal guest of Hudson and want to make up for this experience.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is so very well located for the Park, shopping, dining and so many other NY attractions. The staff are super- friendly and super efficient. The young and trendy love the quirkiness of the lounges, bars and restaurants so the place pumps on a Friday night especially. Lighting of the public areas is in keeping with the night-club atmosphere - low intensity and somewhat gloomy but if you are into the spirit of the hotel this will not worry you. What will is the size of the rooms if you are of above average size: The standard queen suite is the size of a single car garage and access to the sides of the bed can only be obtained by walking sideways. The bathroom and the use of its facilities is quite a challenge!

Room Tip: If you need the space book a room larger than a standard queen
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Mike M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. I am glad that you enjoyed our location, decor and public spaces. Our standard rooms are 150 sq ft, but we do have several larger room options for those who need a little more space. Our largest room is our One Bedroom Suite at 450 sq ft.

We hope you will return to Hudson in the near future. If you need more details on our different rooming options, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

First, this hotel has a great location. It's near Columbus Circle and Central Park; the former is great for subway connections. The lobby and bars all have a cool look. Unfortunately, we were only staying there as a result of LaGuardia's recent shutdown (thanks Southwest Airline's).

Second, the rooms are small by American standards. There are smaller such as the POD chain, but not by much. But the rooms are in fairly good shape. Tall people may have troubles in the restroom which is very tight.

I'd like to put this higher, but we did have sheets that needed changing before we got there. The staff eventually got around to changing the sheets, but it was frustrating to have to call multiple times for the change, especially as it was late and we had an early wake up to return to LGA. I'd also recommend a bit more attention to some of the nooks and crannies in the showers.

Overall, I'd probably consider this hotel again at the right price, but wouldn't necessarily rush back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear C F,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the issue you encountered with your sheets, this is certainly unacceptable and not the type of service we want to provide our guests. We hope you would give us another try in the future, please let us know when you plan your next trip to NYC!

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I chose the Hudson because it was the best value hotel I could find for the period I was traveling. I was very pleasantly suprised! Yes the bedrooms are very small but extremely comfortable and clean and of a high standard. But you won't want to stay in your bedroom for long as the hotel offers amazing communal spaces to hang out and relax in, such as the roof terrace overlooking the Hudson (with hammocks), the library (with billiard table), the great bar (with amazing DJs and food in the evening) and my favorite - the courtyard which is the ultimate in trendiness! The staff are amazing and just the whole feel is relaxed and very cool.
The only black mark against it would be that there was no where to have breakfast or to get something to eat during the day. The only breakfast option is to order-in, which is expensive when you add up the small print charges, or the nearest place is a short walk around the corner to the bagel and smoothie bar (not the one on the corner) ask the concierge for tips - very helpful. It will be my no.1 choice when I'm planning weddings in NY again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear WeddingPlannerRosie,

Thank you for the many compliments! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our public venues, Tequila Park is one of my favorite venues at Hudson! We will pass along your positive feedback to the rest of our staff! Right now we only serve breakfast through Room Service, but we have so many great places around us and I am glad to hear you got to enjoy!

Hopefully we will see you very soon!

Kind regards,