“Smaller than my closet”

Ranked #386 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, MA
“Smaller than my closet”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I get it. NYC is a crowded place. But honestly, my room at this place was smaller than my closet. Or that's how it felt. It was WAY too small for two average size people. We had to take turns getting dressed so as not to jab the other with an elbow or shoulder. I am not exaggerating. The room was so small that once the fan came on to heat the room, we had to turn the air conditioning on to cool it. The hall way is scary dorm style. BUT, the guy at the desk, Alex, was lovely and personable. So many places to stay in NYC. I won't stay here again. Too expensive. Did not feel it was a good value. I don't mind "cozy" but this is "cramped". Oh, BUT AWESOME location for one diminutive person.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room they have
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Reynold,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience. We appreciate your patronage to Hudson.

We are delighted Alex provided exceptional service during your stay, we will certainly pass along the positive feedback! We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your accommodations. Please know we have a variety of Deluxe rooms at Hudson that are comparable in size to our Standard Queen and perhaps may be more suitable to your needs.

Should you reconsider Hudson in the future please let us know so we can find the best suitable accommodations for your next stay.

sabrina.pomilio@mhgc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,216)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is steps awayfrom Columbus Circle, uptown on 8th and 58th. Reception is astonishing as well as the bar on the back. Rooms are small ( obvious) but cozy and clean. Really reliable. Though a little noisy. Don't decide to have breakfast in the hotel. You're in NYC and you just need to walk down the street to find tens of different spots, anytime, anytaste. Broadway is 5 mins away, Times Square 15 mins, subway 1min away. Hudson river and the park really close to go and have a run or a stroll anytime of the day. Terrace bar was close for renovation...it might have gained half a star more. If u want a taxi in front of the door, be patient. If you're not walk to 7th or 9th and it will be easier. Definitely an hotel to keep in the list for my business trips.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank filippo31
Dear filippo31,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience with others! We appreciate your patronage to Hudson!

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent visit! We apologize for any inconvenience our restaurant renovation may have caused during your stay. Were expecting our restaurant and In Room Dining to be back early next year. We can promise exciting changes to both of these outlets and we hope you have the opportunity to experience them!

Please contact us when you plan your next visit to Hudson so we can keep you updated on any changes happening and ensure you have another enjoyable stay!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel was just fantastic in my opinion. The midtown location is just perfect for tourists since it is one block away from metro stop, Central Park and a quick stroll to spots like Lincoln Center, Times Square and other places of interest. The staff is super professional, very accommodating and will do the best to help you with whatever you might need (trust me! I experienced this first hand) and the decor and ambience all around the hotel was just what I look for in a hotel in the city, modern but not too over the top. One thing to take into account is that it is kind of a "young" hotel, very far from what a normal or classic hotel might be like in all senses and it might not suit the taste of older people (it gets dark and narrow in certain places).
Also, I know everyone says the rooms are small but this is a typical case of you get what you pay for, I stayed in a Deluxe room and it was not small at all, very comfortable with a queen bed, a couch and a desk with enough room to walk around comfortably, so...I guess the standard rooms are probably small but upgrade and save the trouble (I think there is not that much difference between rates when you upgrade at the desk). One really helpful tip is to get a room with a street view because atrium room tend to be darker and smaller, even if it means a little more noise at night, which is not really that bad as I've heard people say.
Anyway, I'd return any day to this hotel, it was jut perfect to me. Hopefully it'll be sooner than later.

Room Tip: Try to book rooms from Deluxe category or above always! For very little extra cash you get a MUCH bi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

spent 5 days in New York City at the Hudson Hotel which was recommended to us by a travel agent.Well the hotel foyer had seductive lighting and dark. the hotel is built around a garden square our room overlooking the garden. Small bath room and accessing the doorway was a feat in itself.Just enough room to walk through.had about 2 feet either side of the bed to manage all the unpacking. no fridge only a cooler so the ice bucket acted as our refrigerator for the milk ... yer we bought the milk no freebies here! own sugar , tea and milk. For a person who likes my cuppa (as every Ossie does, no fridge was a hassle) the hotel was a drag. Reception area was cold and dark being a decor style hotel. Not impressed at all!

Room Tip: rooms are small , no fridges only coolers, air conditioner noisy, location is noisy, foyer is upsta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear wazzaw123,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience with others. We appreciate your patronage to Hudson.

We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay at Hudson. Please know we do have larger rooms available at Hudson and we would be more than happy to find you suitable accommodations during your next stay with us. As we are undergoing renovations in our food and beverage department, our In Room Dining is currently not available, however, we do plan to bring back this amenity sometime early next year.

In the interim we have launched our Hudson Lodge on the lobby level wihich provides our guests with a warm atmosphere and the ability to enjoy treats such as fondue and specialty cocktails.

We hope you reconsider Hudson in the future, please reach out to us if we can be of any assistance to you!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

My family came to New York so excited, only to be completely let down before our trip even started.

Don't be fooled by the marketing or website photos.

Rooms- I have stayed in multiple hostels and dormitories with larger and cleaner facilities. Honestly, unless you are 2 feet tall, your body will barely fit in the entire room. My husband had to use the lobby bathroom that thousands of people use, as he could not sit down on the toilet without his legs painfully pushing into the door. The see-through shower is right next to the bed and there's nowhere else to go (a few inches of space on either side of the bed and that's it) which is awkward. We asked to move to a larger room- a rude staff member said they were sold out, and that if a larger room was available, it would be many hundreds of dollars more a night, and basically discouraged me. Believe me when I say stay away!

They also told me Hudson had a complete renovation. When I asked where, they told me the beds were lifted so you can place a suitcase underneath (how thoughtful), and that the lighting was changed. This is a "major" renovation???

The lobby and bars are hip and fun, yes, but any joe schmo off the street can experience these outlets.

My advice- look at the photos guests post and compare square footage to other hotels. The hotel isn't a focal point of a trip to NYC, but also shouldn't ruin your vacation.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear TravScott,

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your recent stay at Hudson. Please know we do have larger accommodations available within Hudson and I do apologize if we were not able to accommodate an upgrade to a larger category during this past stay.

We truly hope this does not deter you from Hudson and we would hope to have the opportunity to host you and your family again at Hudson.

Please contact us should you plan your next trip to Hudson in the future.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Yes, the rooms are small, but it is NYC. I had been to the Hudson before for drinks in their gorgeous lobby / bar, but this was my first time staying. My company hoteled me since the storm stranded me in Manhattan. After an odyssey involving Penn, the LIRR, the subways and a taxi uptown, the Hudson was a welcome light at the end of the tunnel. Leslie at the front desk was amazingly nice and friendly, and made a wonderful dinner recommendation - D.J. Reynolds - right around the corner where I finally was able to relax and have a glass of wine, dinner, and a smile. It's not perfect, but the beds are comfortable, the accomodations basic but cozy and totally adequate for a person or a couple to stay for a few days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank matildalee
Dear matildalee,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience with others. We appreciate your patronage to Hudson!

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Hudson despite Hurricane Sandy. We strived to provide our guests with a comfortable stay and inform them as much as we could regarding transportation and any businesses that were open in the neighborhood. We will certainly pass along your positive feedback to our front desk as well!

We would love to host you again at Hudson whether for business or pleasure! Please contact us when you plan your next trip to NYC!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was afraid of booking here after hearing about the room size issue in other reviews. I booked a king room but received a complimentary upgrade to a double room which actually has two beds that are queen size. The room was beautifully appointed and I really liked the smart, efficient touches that made the room highly functional - from the many hooks on the walls for clothing, the cool storage unit for shoes in the doorway, the extra power bar for my computer and phone, the little stools provided that are stored under the night tables - all brilliant touches that make the room so much more functional. I didn't expect it, but the touches are so well thought out! Loved the bedside lamps.

The only downside was that the restaurant and the bar were both under construction during my visit, but thankfully there was no noise and I didn't actually end up needing either for my visit.

The location was alot easier than I expected too, since it's just behind columbus circle the metro is right there.

The staff were all really nice and helpful. Will return for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business