“Good location - small rooms, dim lighting throughout hotel”

Hudson Hotel New York
Ranked #393 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Service was professional and courteous, rooms were clean and modern, the location for central park is nearly ideal. Less than 5min walk. The bed was extremely comfortable.

However,
The entire hotel is very dimly lit. from the lobby to the rooms. Natural daylight is pretty much blocked out - presumably to create a certain atmosphere. I found it uncomfortable.
The standard rooms are very small. There is about 1ft space either side of a queen size bed.
The view we had was just of another high rise - blocking out even more light.
The weirdest thing was the glass partition between the bedroom and the bathroom. Whilst this may set the scene for a romantic weekend, you also have full view of the toilet basin if the showe curtain is opened. This could certainly dampen the mood, esp after visiting the Carnagie Deli!
Id say the rooms are not really enjoyable for more than a weekend, and only for people who prefer dim ligting over daylight? Style taken a little bit too far.. at the expense of comfort

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy L
GinelleCorrea, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Andy L,

Thank you for your review and I do apologize that you weren't fully comfortable with the room accommodations.

Not all rooms have the glass separation between the bedroom and the bathroom so during your next say, if you choose to return, you can be placed in a room that does not have this feature. Since the Standard rooms are on the small side, if you are here for an extended period of time and wanted a larger room, I would recommend the Deluxe category.

I do want to thank you for your compliments regarding our staff and service. I will be sure to share that with the rest of my team.

Hopefully we will see you again at Hudson, or one of our sister properties.

ginelle.correa@mhgc.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,876)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a very modern hotel with an impressive lobby and great service. The location is convenient, right by Columbus Circle/Central Park and subway. The room was very small, but a Priceline deal made it a great value.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ABSwear10

Itsthedoc10,

Thank you for your review! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and received exceptional service from our staff.

I am glad that the room size did not effect your experience. We do have other room categories ranging from a Standard to Suite. A deluxe room may be more comfortable for you during your next stay.

We do hope to see you again in the near future. Feel free to contact me if you plan on returning.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Hudson Hotel in NYC looks so good - but the reality is that it is badly let (and lit) down in comparison to other boutique hotels I've stayed at.
Firstly though, the one big compliment. With the exception of a doorman who I found to be rude (not to me but to the taxis of NYC which didn't ensure a smooth ride anywhere!) the staff were very good. From reception, to the breakfast guys to security and cleaners - though they did try to get in three times whilst I was either trying to go to the loo or shower. Thankfully the room is so small you can stop access pretty quickly!
However, the problem is there are more downsides then ups. Aside from breakfast (which I'll come on to later), there was absolutely no food available in the hotel aside from vending machines on each floor. The one or ours appeared to be turned off, and the drinks one took my three dollars and wouldn't give it back when it eventually said there was no drinks available. You couldn't even get a cup of coffee or a cup or tea - no in-room facilities - at the very least, you should be able to get a warm drink!
Breakfast was very over-priced for what it was - and unfortunately, a booking error meant that we ended up paying for this (not The Hudson's error admittedly). The food is served in the library on the pool table and constists of fruit, yoghurt, hard-boiled eggs, bread rolls and a few pastries. One of which, is discovered far too late, appeared to be date and walnut! It didn't make for a comfortable return home to Heathrow I can assure you.
Back to the rooms and both me and my parents had problems with them. Mum and Dad had to change rooms after it was discovered to be impossible to open the cupboards as the builders had put the door on the wrong side of the cupboards making them inoperable. They didn't have a fridge either (which wasn't on anyway when you got one), so they changed rooms. The rooms are tiny - from the bed I was able to touch both walls without too much difficulty. When you add cases, ironing boards and such like there isn't a lot of room to play with. From the bed you can see right through to the bathroom via the shower - might be nice with the right people, but do you really want to see someone else sitting on the toilet? Not a particularly nice thought!
I had a problem with my safe - quickly sorted admittedly - while our tv's both needed attention. In the end it became quicker to deal with it ourselves but should guests really have to unplug and then plug their tv's back in when they return at night?
The rooms were noisy with the city life below which can't be helped - but the heavy doors were also very easily slammed. When you living that close to each other, you can hear it very quickly. Indeed, my mother suggested that she'd always wanted to know how it felt like to be in prison.....well, now she knew.
In short, with a little bit more love and attention, The Hudson could be a very good boutique hotel, ideally situated near the subway and Central Park on Colombus Circle. At present though, it fails to hit the mark on far too many targets. If you're claustrophobic in any way - don't even bother.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Laitty

Laitty,

I want to apologize for your most recent experience at Hudson. As you may know, we have been undergoing a $30 million dollar renovation of all guest rooms, corridors, elevators, restaurants and bars as well as other various public areas. I do apologize that this coincided with your stay.

Hudson Hall,our restaurant, will soon be re-activated as a social beverage and food experience. This new venue will offer hotel guests a glimpse back to their collegiate days along with a beverage program that will be highlighted by 16 beer taps and over 20 selections in bottles. The food, inspired by our younger years, will be fun and gastronomic.

Though our Standard rooms do run on the smaller side, we have a large variety of categories which can provide our guests with more space if needed. Not all rooms have the glass separation between the bedroom and bathroom, so if you were to give Hudson a second chance, I can make sure you are placed in a room that does not have this feature. I would also be more than happy to place you in a room facing the atrium on a high floor so that you are not disturbed by city noise.

Laitty, I do hope you decide to return and give Hudson another chance. Contact me and I will make sure you are taken care of during your next visit.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Hudson hotel is perfectly situated in the Upper west side, 5 minute walk from central park.

This stylish hotel is well decorated, from the impressive vegetal selling reception to the little wooden rooms.

The rooms are pretty small but really well made in my opinion.

Decorated from floor to selling with wood that contrast with the immaculate bathroom.The bathroom and bedroom communicates with a nice play of net curtains.

My only reserved is that room is simply furnished and there is almost no closet.

The hotel itself is well designed with an outdoor terrace beautifully decorated with a giant , flowers and cozy coach.

There is also a more eccentric yellow bar restaurant. and library designed by Starck

Perfect if you like to stay in a designed hotel at reasonable price.

Actually the less expensive I could find for that kind of environment, for a short stay in New York if you planned on discovering the city.

Display special offers with early booking on their websites.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Hotelixir,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel especially Hudson's iconic design.

I do want to apologize for the lack of closet space in your room. Most of the rooms have the same configurations with little closet space. If you would like to return to Hudson again, contact me and we can discuss different room categories that may better suit your needs.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts of Hudson and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I decided to stay at the Hudson Hotel following a friend's recommendation. I liked the reception area when I first got in as it was hip and spacious. Unfortunately, I found the room tiny and it smelled of food. The staff was accommodating when I requested for an upgrade, however they put me in a double room which was not properly cleaned/maintained (some of the light bulbs were not working). What I found most annoying was that the room was right beneath the hotel bar which was under renovation. It was not a pleasant experience to be woken up by the cacophony from the renovation work which started at 10am in the morning. Finally, I also found out later that I was charged more than I was initially told for the upgrade. I stayed for one night and will not return again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the bars!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Yszeto,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I want to apologize for any disturbance you experienced due to our renovations. I am glad that our staff were accommodating and were able to provide you with a larger room. I would like to speak with you directly regarding the condition of the room and also the miscommunication regarding the upgrade fee. Usually the price quoted is prior to taxes so this may be part of the discrepancy.

I hope that you will contact me directly so that we can look into some of the service failures more in depth. I would like to correct these issues and have you give HUDSON a second chance in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here 10/19-10/21 while attending a conference. It's a cool, chic hotel. The front desk staff, for the most part, were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are incredibly tiny. Like shoebox tiny but they are clean and cute. The location is close to Central Park and there are plenty of restaurants and bars in walking distance. There is no signage in the front, just a flame.

A couple of things to note: if you're taller than 5'7" you may have issues sitting on the toilet. Not much space between the wall and the toilet. They don't have glasses in the rooms, just paper cups. For how much they charge for rooms, the least they could do is have glasses. It does get loud at night but it's NY- you should'nt be in your room that much anyways. Also there aren't bags for the ice buckets. We used the laundry bag.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and will return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear swan93,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Hudson experience with others. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your patronage to Hudson.

We are undergoing renovations on our public outlets including our restaurant and Hudson Bar at this time. We have many exciting changes happening to these outlets and we encourage you to return so you can see all of the exciting changes! We recently completed a $38 million dollar renovation on all of our guest rooms and hallways. Part of our renovation was to enhance lighting which is why we added LED lights to all of our guestrooms and hallways. We also plan on adding signage outside of Hudson.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again at Hudson so you can see all the great changes we have accomplished. Please reach out to us when you plan your next visit to NYC.

Warm regards,
Sabrina

sabrina.pomilio@mhgc.com

Reviewed October 25, 2012

If I'd taken my pillow into the elevator, I'd have spent a better night.
The room was so tiny it felt claustrophobic. The wifi was erratic, but unfortunately the noise from the bar in the hotel center was not -- it was consistent and loud. The hotel itself is dark throughout, from the bizarrely unmarked entrance on the street, which leads to an escalator that leads into the lobby. I kept looking for another entrance, but that was it. It's dimly lit throughout, with the exception of the neon-green room doors that seem to glow in the hallways. (The new color scheme is, apparently, dark gray walls & carpet and neon green, and during current renovation there is no restaurant, no room service.)
I suggest looking elsewhere for your stay in New York. The Hudson is not at all worth the convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo