“No Cover on Mattress and Possible Bed Bugs”

Club Quarters Hotel, Midtown
Ranked #203 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 19, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here one night. We were pleased with the location, size of the room, and price, BUT we woke up at 4am to catch a flight home and we each had bites on our bodies. I had bites on my arm, leg, and back. He had a similar looking bite on his arm. Five years ago I encountered bed bugs in Fiji, so I know the warning signs. We bagged our luggage and washed all our clothes when we got home. What blew us both away was that when we checked the mattress there was NO cover on the mattress, of any kind. We didn't find any bugs, so the only evidence we have is the bites on both our bodies. I had incorrectly assumed that all nice hotels in NYC were protecting their mattresses from bed bugs and any other kind of stain, but there was NOTHING. I called the hotel and told them about our experience and their response was that they would have housekeeping look into it and I have not heard back from them. I would never stay in a hotel in NYC that did not put protective covers on their mattresses.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Turquoise20
Write a ReviewReviews (1,602)

Reviewed August 6, 2010

the hotels location is fantastic, between 5th and 6th avenues. great if your a toursit, 5 streets away from the Rockefeller centre and a few minutes from the empire state building.
pricing for new york standards is good, but your paying for what you get, very tiny rooms and even smaller bathrooms. if your ok spending lots of time out of your room then this is a good choice, otherwise i dont reccomend it

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chets_9
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Won this hotel on a Priceline bid for 4 nights in July. I was a little worried after reading some reviews, mostly about possible lack of air conditioning. My window unit air conditioner worked fine. It presented no problems but I did not stay during the heat wave either. We were getting highs around 90 and the a/c managed just fine.

I arrived at 8 a.m. and was not allowed to check in early, even though a gentleman just ahead of me was clearly allowed to do this. The front desk is more of a kiosk and the staff person was not friendly or welcoming in the least. I think you have to join some sort of club to get special privileges at this chain of hotels. It did not strike me as having the amenities you would expect to see at a 3 star hotel, like a properly staffed front desk, bellmen in the lobby, and things like that.

I was directed to come back after 2 o'clock and I did and was given a key to my room on the 11th floor. The two elevators are tiny and slow, but the waits were not too bad when I was there. The room was small (expected that) but it had a nice, modern look and feel and the bed was comfortable. Everything was very clean, including the bathroom. The shower was great. Nice soaps and shampoos in the bathroom. Small window with not much of a view. The television was very small and there was no channel guide. Also no pay per view movies. Very strange set up with the television. Never did quite figure it out. Not like any hotel cable television I've ever experienced.

Housekeeping was quite good and were the only staff there that I found to be friendly. Virtually ignored by the rest of the staff the entire time. Very strange experience in that regard. Location could not be better and makes up for a lot. This place is in a prime location near Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Great places to eat all around. Great shopping on 5th Avenue close by. I would stay here again just for the location. It's located on a relatively quiet street and I had no problem sleeping.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank mick39
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I stayed here for my 30th birthday and thanks to the staff it was the most stressful experience I have ever had in an hotel.

To cut a VERY LONG story short - the hotel took 3 payments off our credit card for our stay here! This left us with virtually NO money for the remainder of our 2 weeks in the States. We eventually got it back a couple of days later, but you can imagine how stressful and time consuming it was sorting this with several managers at the hotel.

And did we get an apology - NO!

The hotel is a lovely place to stay though, vert clean and spacious. Just a shame the staff are useless..............

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJPLEEDS
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stayed here for a long weekend with my gf. Isn't much to look at from the outside, but inside is simple and clean. Asked for a room with a queen bed, but there was only a double. The hotel did remove the additional charge at checkout without incident. The room was small but they definitely maximized the space so it doesn't feel crowded at all. bed was comfortable and the bathroom well-apportioned.

The location is great. you are only a couple blocks from times square and grand central. I booked on priceline and was concerned because i hadn't heard of this place but was pleasantly surprised. A nice touch was the chilled water dispenser (and free plastic bottles). That really came in handy in july. Parking is validated at a garage a block over for $22 a day. Definitely recommend this hotel for a stay in the city.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Got a decent rate on Priceline. Room small but adaquate and expected for New York. Clean. Two girlfirends hitting the big city so the two single beds were awesome. Friendly & helpful staff. 2 computers to use in business area. Free bottled water downstairs in exercise room. Air conditioning but as we were there during a major heat wave, it worked hard. No view but very quiet - no street noise at all. Didn't use hotel restaurant facilities but great place to eat breakfast & lunch across the street (Cafe Manhattan). It had great fresh food and good prices. Starbucks also across the street. Totally recommend it as a choice for 1st timers to New york

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2010

It's 3 blocks from Times Square and very easy to access from the Lincoln Tunnel. They have an arrangement with a parking garage a few blocks away to park for $22 for 24 hours; a great deal. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The room was small but exactly what I expected for such a great price. Actually, it was a little nicer than expected because the room did not have an 'old' feel to it. Wouldn't hesitate staying here again, in fact I plan on it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple