“An undiscovered gem”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #99 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My wife and I stayed for one night to celebrate a birthday. We were upgraded upon check-in to a suite. The area around the hotel is a great place to walk and enjoy the view of lower Manhattan. The staff was freindly and willing to help with any questions. Many people want to be in Midtown and during the colder weather that maybe the place but in the Summer this less well known part on the city should not be missed.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank Caymanbound
Write a ReviewReviews (2,324)

Reviewed June 23, 2007

Stayed here for the second time this past weekend and it was even better than the first. Stayed in a harbor view room. We were celebrating my niece's 16th birthday. The woman who greeted us, Mitch, was amazing. When she found out that it was her birthday, she arranged for a lovely dessert sampler for our room when we returned from dinner, and left lovely, personal notes for both of my nieces. The room was wonderful -- some of the largest in NYC and as usual the beds are more comfortable than ever.

We did treat ourselves to the breakfast buffet which, while not inexpensive ($35) was excellent with a great variety. Freshest and tastiest berries I've had in a while!

The location is a bit out of the way, but other than more expensive cab rides this is more of an advantage than a disadvantage. It is such a relief in the middle of the tourist season to have such an oasis.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank just up and go
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Stayed here for the weekend celebrating my one year anniversary with the wife. I actually proposed to my wife at this hotel and got married at the ritz in Laguna so the ritz has a special place in my heart.

Paid for a club level city view. When we got there we were informed that we had been upgraded to a harbor view, and the receptionist gave us his business card and said we should check out rise and he offered us a free round of drinks.

We found a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room. To keep this short and sweet.

Pros:
1) Service was awesome. Cullen the concierge took care of all our requests, top notch service.
2) Gotta love the club lounge. Food was pretty good and it was nice to be able to connect to the internet for free instead of having to pay for it considering the rate we were paying.
3) I really like the rooms here a lot. Only thing they might need to do is a change in carpets and get some plasma tv's in there. Other than that I think the rooms here are still excellent. I think they are actually a bit larger than most NYC hotel rooms and I love their marble bathrooms, quite large and spacious.
4) Was able to get a late 2pm check-out. I use to have the amex platinum card and get a 4pm checkout but canceled it since it felt like a waste of money. Maybe I'll have to get it back
5)The proximity to battery park is great. Being able to just take a walk out there makes the location quite great for access to battery park city.
6) Great water pressure in the shower. So many hotels don't have that and I really hate it. Pressure seems to change once in a while when other people I guess are using their showers but overall stays strong enough for a great shower.
7) Just great staff overall.

Cons:
1) Location. If you want to get to anywhere else in the city you either gotta take a walk to the subway or cab it.
2) Parked our car here. It was expensive with no in and out privileges according to the doorman.
3) Its expensive. But then again so is every other hotel in NYC…
4) If not on club level I think you have to pay for internet access. For the price of the room they really should offer that for free.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ernielim0216
Reviewed June 1, 2007

A very nice modern hotel located at the southern tip of Manhattan by Battery Park. Comfortable rooms, top quality (Bulgari) toiletries, lots of staff on duty to hold open doors and generally fuss. In fact with their earpieces and cuff microphones, it did feel like the US Secret Service had taken over the hotel - arguably a bit pretentious. Does it really need two young people to hold open the doors and say hello and goodbye.

One feels the room prices just reflect the top-heavy level of staffing. Ironically, when it came to getting my bags out of the baggage room on departure, the whole process came apart at the seams and it took close to 7 minutes to retrieve my luggage! That was funny.

My room was towards the back so looked over a flat room and in the distance a building site and Apartments in a modern high rise block where no one seems to have curtains. Interesting goldfish-bowl views of modern New Yorkers' breakfast rituals with aproned nannies tending to toddlers. Do they not realise the hotel guests look into their apartments?

My biggest beef about this place was the charge for Internet access. At over $430 per night, you would think they would throw in Internet access for free. If a Knights in in Horseheads, NY can do so for $35 per night, then why can't the Ritz Carlton - that is a sheer rip-off.

I was attending a business function there and asked the Concierge to get some flowers for one of the participants. We wanted loud / brash / big / showy - what we got was (a) small and pretentious first time around and (b) slightly bigger and pretentious second time around. To add insult to injury, they never even provided me with a bill from the florist which is really inconvenient for when the time comes to claim expenses.

I had dinner there one evening. Although I asked for a well done steak, it came out pretty red in the centre. It's not a hard thing to get correct and that was a let down - I had higher expectations. The restaurant on the ground floor has a dark moody evening restaurant ambience, unfortunately for a hotel which I guess caters for mainly business people, the dark tables remain darkened at breakfast too. An apologetic waiter recognised the problem and I heard him say this to other guests on both days. This is not a place to have breakfast if you want to do some reading in comfortable light. A serious design error.

Overall, great rooms, great location, looks good, but let down by the details.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank dannymcl
Reviewed May 31, 2007

This is a nice hotel, but certainly not as good as a Ritz should be. For the price there are better choices.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 7, 2007

I really liked this hotel. It is in Battery Park which to me was a plus. We were early for our room so they allowed us to have lunch on the club level before we actually checked in. It was a very nice touch.

THe club level food was very good and the service excellent. The room was always quiet with very few guests around. Yolanda was particularly excellent.

The rooms, bed, and bathroom were 5 star, as expected. THe main activities of Manhattan are a short subway trip away. Cabs are expensive so we learned to negotiate the subway and it was fun to act like a New Yorker for a while.

THe workout room is just OK. THe equipment is nice and it has a GREAT view but it is all crammed in there a bit.; and, no sauna or jacuzzi, which is an oversight.

The only down side...the "my pleasures" got a bit annoying after a while but I suspect they are instructed to say it.

I would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gktmd22
Reviewed May 6, 2007

The Ritz lived up to most of my expectations of a 5-star hotel. Staff were excellent, including check-in, bellman, and concierge, but especially the club level staff. If you can get an Expedia deal, its definitely worth it to stay on the club level. Rooms met expectations, large, well-appointed, bathrooms large, separate shower - no complaints about the room or bathroom, both excellent. Lounge is overpriced and food is not very good and you get only small portions. For the prices they charge, if you're going to serve below average or just average good, the least you can do is provide large portions. Great location if you need to be in the financial district, just a short walk to Battery Park and the Staten Island Ferry. Great food for a lot less at Gigino's, Italian restaurant just across from the Ritz or try Battery Gardens. I would definitely stay here again but only through the Expedia rate, its not worth more than $600 a night for a regular room.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business