“Refined perfection at the Ritz!”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #98 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We spent a recent weekend at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park and were enchanted by the serene, understated elegance of the lobby decor and our spacious, soothingly decorated room. The furniture and condition of the room were simply perfect. The bathroom was large enough to be a mini-spa and was stocked with deluxe Bulgari amenities. The bathrobes are the most luxurious I have ever seen -- super-plush terry with satin piping on the collar and sleeves. As constant travellers, we have seen the good, bad and ugly and this Ritz property sets new and higher standards for hotel excellence.

Perhaps the most outstanding feature was the gracious service, which starts from the moment you alight at the entrance and continues until you -- sadly -- must depart.

We enjoyed breakfast in our room and the room service fare was delicious and -- notably -- promptly served.

Do try one of the baths on the bath menu. Once selected, the bath butler will transform your bathroom into a candle-lit, aromatherapy event, and serve you a glass of champagne before leaving you to indulge in the perfect bath.

We paid only $275/night for this little slice of heaven and will gladly return when we are next in New York.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ms_travelwhiz
Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed August 6, 2006

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Ritz for my cousin's wedding. It was our first stay, and we highly recommend the hotel. Yes, it's pricey (we were able to get discounted rooms as part of the wedding party) and the lower Manhattan location is far from the action in midtown, Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, etc. But it's a beautiful property, spacious and well-appointed rooms, good food and close to downtown, Wall Street, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.
Best of all is the service. The staff -- from the check-in clerk to bellhop to concierge to doormen to housekeeping -- are professional, courteous and friendly. The wedding reception was a first-class affair, and my cousin and her mother were extremely pleased with everything from the wedding planner to the food & drink to the waiter/waitress service and especially with the hard-working staff.
My wife and I travel a lot, usually with our children, but this was a special memorable romantic getaway for us!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank cgbroderick
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Stayed here for one night for my husband's birthday. We were upgraded to a fabulous suite - probably the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Huge windows that overlooked the harbor and Statue of Liberty. Our room (#317) was spotless, tastefully decorated, and like I said had many huge windows that showcased this spectacular view. We received not one but two bottles of complimentary champagne (one was from our sweet housekeeper Digna). I found the staff to be so nice and attentive, and they all seemed very genuine about it.
The fitness center was a good size, open 24 hrs. Drinks at the bar Rise were great and the view from the 14th floor of the sunset was very special.
We had no problem getting a cab in the evening and the next morning there were plenty of cabs lined up just wating for guests. We walked a pleasant 25 minutes or so home from dinner in Tribeca on Friday night, so that is not a bad option either.

Overall I think this hotel is great and for $370 a good deal for NYC. I loved the area - it is totally different than midtown and that is what we were looking for.

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank josiegrammer
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Ritz-Carlton Battery-Park. The hotel has a good location, the rooms are very nice, and the harbor view is spectacular. However, the aspect of this hotel that is obvious early and often is SERVICE. I have stayed in many good hotels around the world, but I must say that each and every employee we met here is extra friendly and helpful, making it obvious that it is a prime management goal. We stayed on the Club level (which is well worth the extra charge), and the concierges there (Cullen and Angelica) absolutely bent over backwards to help us (e.g. excellent restaurant reservations, times & directions for attractions, a casual mention of our wedding anniversary resulted in many favors, etc.). We'll definitely be back....

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank spg43
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I had never stayed at a Ritz-Carlton hotel before and suppose my expectations were a bit high. Don’t get me wrong, it was a very nice stay and the hotel was beautiful, but I guess I was just expecting a bit more. I was there on business – the classroom (set up in a ballroom) was pretty standard, the food was spectacular, the lobby was extravagant, the front desk staff was courteous, the room was not unlike a Hilton or Marriott. But it was the little things that took away from the experience: we waited one evening over 30 minutes for them to find us a cab, the rooftop bar was loud, expensive and normal, the view from our room was of a back alley, the toilet (a vacuum-powered flush) was extremely noisy.

As I was there on business and had my room paid for, I didn’t feel as gypped as if I were paying the usual $600 a night. It was nice, but not spectacular – which I was expecting.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank tommypain
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I spent a delightful three nights here with my two-year-old son, and had a wonderful time. We had a Harbor View room, and although I couldn't make heads or tails of the telescope, it really wasn't necessary. We delighted in our wonderful views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the water taxies and ferries, and so on. Our bathroom was the biggest, best-appointed, and most beautiful I've ever had in New York. The room itself was quite big, and even huge by New York standards. The decor was lovely and in perfect condition, and the featherbed was dreamy. My father and his wife stayed across the hall in a city view room. Their room was identical to ours, except for the view, and was $85 less per night. (I felt the extra cost for the view was worth every penny.)

We did not stay on the Club level, and I don't know what value it could add to such an already magnificent hotel, unless one needs to eat five times per day.

The room was clean, though not spotless: we found an old bottle cap and a luggage key hiding underneath furniture. The housekeeper the first night ordered up a special teddy bear for my son, and my free overnight shoeshine was well done.

We ate breakfast in the hotel each morning. The buffet on weekdays offered a delicious selection at a not-too-outrageous price (I think about $25), especially as they didn't charge me for my son. The Sunday buffet was over the top both in presentation and price (at $50). Every day offered a delicious variety of food of impeccable quality.

The Ritz is obviously expensive, but we found a much lower rate ($420) on the hotel's web site than its 800-number quoted us ($595). Manhattan rates in general are quite high right now, and I think our rate represented a very good value for what we enjoyed.

One minor item is that the front doors to the hotel are quite heavy and not automated. There is a doorman, but he often was otherwise occupied with getting taxis and so on, and opening the doors while wheeling a stroller was a bit of a challenge.

My only significant complaint about the Ritz is that the staff tipped the balance between helpful and obsequious, to the point of making me uncomfortable. All my expressions of thanks were met with the responses of "My pleasure," or "My absolute pleasure." It got so that I tried not to meet the waiter's eye when he refilled my water glass at breakfast, but I even got the "my pleasure" when I simply smiled and nodded my gratitude. I enjoy fine hotels and excellent service, but not the servility I encountered here.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay here, and would return again with absolute pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank Doppelganger69
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton as a second honey moon. My wife had never been to New York before and this was about as special as it could be.
We stayed at club level and having initially been given a city view, upgraded to Harbour. Not that it's their fault, but City view is basically construction view at the moment and having splashed out majorly to go the the Ritz Carlton in the first place, it seemed stupid to save $60 per night by not upgrading. They were fast and efficient about doing this, the fact that someone came up to check if we were happy with our room to begin with says a lot about the service.
We couldn't have been happier with the harbour view, it was such a great room. What was even nicer was the service of the Club level staff. Always accommodating, cheerful and chatty, they really made the experience stand out.
We had a fantastic time in New York. The location of the hotel for us was perfect - what few of the other reviews seem to mention is how beautiful the parks that are across the hotel are. You can have a fantastic morning stroll away from the hectic hustle and bustle of mid town. If you want the noise and excitement of mid town, this might not be for you, but there are lots of places within walking distance and there are two subways stops close by and taxis on tap outside the front. Personally I'd rather go and experience the mid town hustle and bustle, then come out and get a good nights sleep which is what we did here.
The food at Club level was excellent. Being British we're a little wary of the ridiculously huge American portions, so having a choice of lots of small portions of food was perfect, and didn't make you feel like it was going to waste. They also had a great Californian Merlot as well as other wines, but this one was particularly good.

If you are the type of person that enjoys picking holes in everything and moans about walking anywhere, and likes to be at the centre of all the noise, maybe this hotel isn't perfect for you. If you want to feel like royalty for a while and to sip a whisky on the rocks whilst watching the sun set over the Statue of Liberty, do yourself a favour and book yourself into the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park at Club level. You won't regret it for a moment.

• Stayed: May 2006