“Excellent Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #83 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2005

Stayed at the Ritz for 2004 New Years with my girlfriend, and was treated to an incredible fireworks show with the harbor and Statue of Liberty as a back drop. Then, gifted a harbor room and broadway show to my newly wedded sister for a stay this past weekend, and the Ritz staff gave a complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. Awesome all-around hotel. And, a thoughtful staff!

• Stayed December 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
South Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2005

The Ritz Carlton Battery Park is an excellent place to stay. There are not crowds of tourists like in Times Square. Also, I loved to hear the boats in the harbor go by at night (welcome change from taxis honking). The room was decorated in a contemporary/art deco style with shades of green and yellow, not overly modern like most hotels in NYC. We booked a harbor view room, and it was definitely worth the extra money (just go for it). I loved to play with the telescope! Also, the service is OUTSTANDING! You can tell they really enjoy working there. Anne and another front desk person (man with black hair- forgot his name) were exceptional. One thing which seperates the staff here from other hotels is the fact they actually care about you and want you to have a memorable experience. Loved it! Will stay here again the next time I return to NYC!

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank rbrewersc
Winchester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2005

I paid $359 for a harbor view room, bfast and parking included. This is a special weekend rate and you cannot do better in NYC for this price. I give the hotel five stars across the board at this price point.

However, this is the Ritz, and most people travelling during the week will pay much more, and the hotel falls short of the prices they normally demand.

The Good:

- Rooms are large, mine was spotless, and quality was excellent. Housekeeping was outstanding.
- Service throughout the hotel is attentive, almost overbearing. I was with my family and they made us feel welcome, even with a cranky two year old.
- Location is really great, soho and tribeca are close at hand.
- Property is new, high quality, and very upscale. Piano bar at night is great.

The Bad:

- Went down for breakfast on Sunday morning and the buffet was being set up for a 9AM start. It was clear that most of the kitchen resources were deployed on this effort. We ordered from menus at 8:35 and didn't get our food until 9AM... should have just waited.

- Wife was down in bar Sat night. I was in room with aforementioned two year old and 4 month old. Needed mommy ASAP... phone call to downstairs bar indicated no one was there... my wife was there the whole time (at least that is what she told me)

The Ugly:

- Checked in, standard Ritz big-to-do procedures, but in the chaos I forgot to notice they didn't return my license and credit card. I figured it out once we got to the room. I figured it out in the room while the bell hop unloaded our gear- he was on the problem immediately and I got an apology from the front desk via phone. Still- this should not happen.

- Got charged $100 for parking though it should have been included. Didn't notice when I checked out. I called back a few days later and it was resolved.

In short, a great property, particulalry if you don't care about being in MidTown (SoHo and Tribeca are Walkable). I prefer this location to midtown. The weekend deal is unbeatable. If you are expecting true 5-star and are paying 5-star prices, you may be dissapointed.

8 Thank Nyquist
New York, NY
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton and I was terribly disappointed!
Check in was quick and easy but I felt as if I was talking with a robot. And I found this to be true of all Ritz employees. Also the lobby was very dull and small. Upon entering my harbor view room I noticed a huge spot in the carpet... apparently red wine. The rest of the room was ok but I felt as if I was in a Marriott.. very bland decor. If I have one good thing to say is that the bathroom was nice! Had room service which was delivered 30 minutes after the quoted time and found the food to be just ok... at the Ritz I expect it to be great! Had this been a Marriott hotel I would expect the indifferent service and bland surroundings but this is supposed to be the "Ritz!" I have had the pleasure of staying at many great hotels, my favorite being the George V in Paris and I had high expectations of the Ritz in NYC... unfortunatly after having bad experiences at Ritz's Washington DC property and Buckhead property, I will never return to another Ritz! Stay somewhere great like the Four Seasons or St. Regis when in NY!

5 Thank NYC10001
Toledo, OH
Reviewed July 9, 2005

My husband and 3 kids stayed here and the kids loved it. My husband thought it was nice, but wasn't sure it's worth $100 more than 2 other hotels we've stayed at. "Maybe just for one night", he admitted. We got a harborview room with a telescope. The kids were suprised to find a 12" chocolate Statue of Liberty in the room, too. The kids liked the bathroom (separate shower) and all the extra toiletries provided. They also liked the fact that they could work out alongside Dad in the fitness center. Breakfast was too expensive at the hotel so they never ate there. My husband said the customer service was outstanding when they checked in, but not so great when it came time to check-out.

7 Thank frozenfamilyof5
Reviewed June 26, 2005

We stayed here in June for our anniversary. I mentioned this to a front desk staff person when I called 3 days before arrival to request early check-in. When we got there everyone seemed to know who we were and wish us a happy anniversary. As we got into the cab to leave, the bellhop asked if we had a good time on our anniversary. The room was great, the bed was wonderful, bathroom roomy, great view, etc. The location is secluded, with a park directly across the street, where you can also walk the Esplanade along the Hudson. Wall St., 4 different subway lines, ferries are all within 5 min walk. Don't think you have to stay in mid-town. Stay here, save $ over other 5 star hotels, catch the subway to wherever, and enjoy your NYC stay. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We , flew in for Memorial Day weeeknd for a friends wedding .. and then realized it was also Fleet week .. but there was no lack of service at the Ritz .. From check in to check out it was a great experience . There were no problems getting cabs when we wanted to head into Mid- town .. and the Rise bar was a great way to relax before heading out for an evening on the town .. I feel that the Ritz Carlton out weights the Waldorf Astoria by a landslide .. I will be staying here again... Thanks for a great trip !!! Oh and Carmel car service was a great way to get around the city .. A + in service for them to ..

• Stayed May 2005