“Perfect View of Liberty”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #74 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Manchester
“Perfect View of Liberty”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

As a first time visitor to New York we were looking for something special, and found it. A view over the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty. Even a telescope in the room. The hotel is opposite Staton Island Ferry terminal and the subway station.
New York is such a large City that it is difficult to be convenient for all of the sites but transport is easy. On the first day we used a taxi to Times Square but subsequently found the subway cheaper and faster. We didn't know what to expect on the subway but found it easy to use, and safe.
Ground Zero and Wall Street are within an easy walking distance of the hotel and the hop-on/hop-off sightseeing bus passes very close to the hotel.
The hotel staff are excellent, friendly and smartly dressed and can't do enough to be helpful.
Eating and drinking in the hotel is very expensive, and even greater after the tax and tips, but there are reasonable restaurants nearby.
I would highly recommend this hotel subject to a reasonable rate on the room.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view of the Statue of Liberty for something exceptional
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
NYC
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I live in NYC but we wanted to get away and also visit the downtown area.
We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Battery Park City. We stayed on the executive floor with lounge
accessand took advantage of the weekend package with a view of the Staue of liberty. It was very nice and the concerige could not have been more helpful. The staff in the lounge waited on us hand and foot. They remembered our morning coffee preference sand evening cocktails and after an afternoon out it was a real joy coming back to our oasis. I have come to the conclusion that you recieve what you put into it, being polite and civil goes a long way to having the staff treat you right. We noticed some rude individuals who where given short shrift by the staff.

Room Tip: Does not have a pool. Get a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hotel is very corporate looking. No more special than say, Westin in downtown Phoenix.

There were a lot of stains in the room, on the carpet, armchair, and headboard. Among the hotels we stayed at on our NYC holiday trip, the RC room was in the worst condition.

Unless you are on a corporate expense account and have to stay in the financial district, it'd be wise to spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MaryJaneL_FB
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My first stay at The Ritz Carlton was in 2006 and I have returned several times to stay here. A magnificent hotel, located in Battery Park, downtown Manhattan, this hotel is pricey and commands a place in the market that very few do. I had high floor room with a view and a telescope. The room was perhaps made more fulfilling due to the telescope and I cant remember how many times I used it to see the Statue of Liberty, the harbour, Staten Island and other landmarks across the Hudson. Well laid and spacious room, impeccable service, a bathroom that reminds of the British Raj....spacious, spread out and pampering. The evening turn down service was simply great. The buffet breakfast was a very good spread and Sunday was always special. Courteous staff, always willing to help made stay comfortable and welcoming. The location is great, I could walk to my office every day and back through the river side which was great. The hotel even made my first stay special by giving me a complimentary ride in a limo to China town.

Though many decide to stay in mid or uptown Manhattan, this is a jewel in the crown and a stay to NYC is incomplete without a night at the Ritz Carlton. Try one of the river facing high floor rooms and you will be blown away by the sheer sight of the river and the scenery.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jasper
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was very nice and the staff all were so helpful.We loved our view from the room of the statue of Liberty. Not really centrally located but we were there to site see so by staying here we used the double decker buses and train.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Although we knew its location next to wall street, this ritz was too much business-like. It would've been nice if this was my biz trip but the hotel has little to offer to family. Lobby area was very tight. We were quite disappointed by the mattress. Its quality was something I'd find at 'moderate' hotel, definitely not something I expected from the Ritz. My wife, who works in upscale hotel development business, was shaking her head on the room setting/amenities. All service personnel we had dealt with was excellent and efficient. We saw other families there but we will not be coming back for a family vacation.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I'll start with the positive.
For the most part individual hotel team/staff were incredibly service oriented going the extra mile for the tiniest of details (e.g., immediately folding of napkins when away from the table, pouring extra coffee without needing to ask, showing the way to the ladies room, help with doors and with luggage, help with directions, etc.). It felt like there was a genuine desire to please.
Now to the inconsistency where I fault the property in their training and procedures (not individuals).
Upon checking in there was no recognition of my mileage/status with Marriott. There was no communication/engagement in terms of the amenities of the hotel or welcome for what was a wedding weekend. The standard room was standard (and not well lit). I expected more from the brand. My room view was not a view (right into the apartment building next door).
Food trays and glasses were hanging out in the hallway for longer than I thought acceptable. Someone should be patrolling the floors on a rotating basis.
As part of my room staying, late check out was guaranteed. I did not know this initially and this was never mentioned to me.
So for the price you pay, my expectations were not met. Lower cost properties do a better job.

Room Tip: If you want a view, be sure to ask for and/or pay for a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends