“Nice hotel but the walls are way too thin”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #80 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manhattan Beach, California
“Nice hotel but the walls are way too thin”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park numerous times over the past 16 mos. as I work for a financial firm that is based relatively nearby. Thus, I stay here for business when visiting my head office in Tribecca. The neighborhood is great and service is top tier. Rooms are 4 star but boy are the walls too thin here. I have several women staying in the room next to me that I have heard chatter for each of the past three nights that I've been here. It reminded me that this was not the first time this has happened here. Fortunately, I wear ear plugs when I sleep! Management should do something to better buffer the sound between rooms. That part of the Ritz is 2 star at best.

Room Tip: Walls are too thin. You can hear people talking in the next door rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank edmosok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 3, 2013

When I think Ritz, I think posh, but this one was more Marriott… Great service/greeting from the kind, charming woman who took us to our room, but the rest of the staff seemed somewhat blasé and frequently was chatting among themselves. Delicious Thanksgiving buffet did meet our expectations. The furnishings in the room and general hotel ambience were somewhat tired and uninspired.

The location in Battery Park is a clean, tranquil oasis and only a short walk from the 1 and a short ride to anywhere you want to go. Hopefully, things will improve.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobertSarno
Burlingame, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our experience at the Ritz-Carlton was average as best.

Found two garbage items from previous guests upon entering the room. The room walls were paper thin. We could hear every word of the phone conversation our neighbor had even though the rooms did not have inter-connecting doors.

We were told to wait 30 min. for breakfast on the last day and decided to leave. Hit and miss on bell service. Room service was great and they took good care of our children. Overall the bar and bistro looked bare and without any charm.

There are no mini bars throughout the hotel. Hotel did not have diet coke or coke zero when we asked and we were brought two decaffeinated cokes instead. Granted it was Thanksgiving, but still...

The Lexington Express Line from Bowling Green takes you to Mid- and Downtown rather quickly. The location was a non-issue for us although it was hard to find a convenience store nearby.

To me the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park is an OK hotel but together with the Marina del Ray hotel in L.A. these are two hotels that - to me - does not live up to what I've come to expect from Ritz-Carlton and as RC hotels I cannot recommend them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Roxbury, CT
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Check in was easy (although no one assisted with luggage from curb side?). The Hotel is located at the tip of Manhattan with great water views. The room was decent size and quality (not quite 5 star standard). We upgraded to a club level room. The club was a real gem with good food, spirits, etc. The bed was not very comfortable and was hard. For the most part the staff was attentive to our needs and in particular the concierge found us a terrific restaurant for a traditional Thanksgiving meal (Thank you!). The location is out of the way for most of the major attractions in the City but it is quiet and calm. Prepare to spend a good sum for taxis to get to and from most major NYC attractions. Not a lot to walk to from this Hotel. For the price this was a very good hotel and would consider returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stonecroft
Amsterdam
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. I expected much more from this hotel as it is part of the Ritz Carlton chain.
We arrived late in the evening and it was raining heavy. No bellman was there to great us. We carried our own luggage up the stairs before someone came. When the luggage was in the hall the doorman asked if he could help us with the suitcases. A bit late in my opinion. We made a reservation via AMEX, we did not get a complimentary upgrade although this was requested during making the reservation.
The room looks very nice, beautiful views over the statue of liberty. It looked nice, however we discovered that housekeeping is not Ritz Carlton standard. We found an almost empty bottle of vodka in the closet and the ventilation system in the toilet is full with dust (see picture).

Couple of days before I arrived I sent the hotel an email with a question for a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I am still waiting on an answer from the hotel. Nobody replied to me. As the hotel did not answer me I asked the concierge on Wednesday evening if he could give us some recommendations for trendy restaurants for Thanksgiving. He would inform me that evening. We did not get information that night. We received a message that they do know lots of restaurants and that we had to go the next day to the concierge and he could help us then. The next morning (Thanksgiving day) I went to the concierge (Jay) and he was very impolite when I asked for a restaurant for that evening and that his colleague informed me that I had to ask him. He said things like: You are late for reservations, now I have to check which restaurants are open and which are closed. In my opinion that’s his work. Then he said that we would find out why his colleague did not do his job properly. Don’t say this to guests. Finally we got very good recommendations and the concierge made reservations for us.

We received a wrong invoice during checkout. They do not let you look to the invoice you have to ask for it.

Things we did not like:
- The extreme dirty ventilation system in the bathroom
- Almost empty bottle of vodka in the closet left by a previous guest.
- Unfriendly concierge
- Unfriendly breakfast service on Thanksgiving. They were busy with setting up the brunch and did not have interest in breakfast guests
- Dirty shirts from the waiters during breakfast
- Turndown service at 4PM and one night no turndown service. When I called round 7.30PM for turndown service they replied: No we do not do this.
- The door to the toilet is so narrow you have to step beside the toilet before the door can close.
- No waste bin in the bathroom, but one in the toilet.
- No help with luggage / umbrella’s when we checked in.

Of course we liked also several things:
- Very good recommendation for Kittichai the restaurant from the concierge
- Beautiful view to Statue of Liberty
- Very friendly bartender.
- Late checkout.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I highly recommend this hotel. We have stayed here on 5 separate occasions in many different rooms, sometimes on the club level and sometimes not. Every single time we are treated like royalty and the staff remembers us. We also love the location in lower Manhattan overlooking the Statue of Liberty. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU UPGRADE TO THE CLUB LEVEL AND ENJOY OUTSTANDING FREE FOOD & BEVERAGE ALL DAY LONG. THE UPGRADE IS ABOUT $150 PER DAY AND IS WORTH $500 PER DAY. WE HAVE EVEN BROUGHT GUESTS UP TO THE CLUB TO ENJOY GREAT FOOD & WINE. This is a 5-star property at a 4-star price.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here for my 30th birthday celebration in August, and I have to say had a wonderful experience. The room was lovely and spacious, with a view of the Statue of Liberty . Definitely worth paying for the view. The bed was Devine, so comfortable and was well needed after our long journey. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We had some problems with tickets for a baseball game and the reception staff helped in resolving this. One evening we had room service, I had a chicken with risotto it was delicious definitely worth paying that little extra.The view of memorial towers as you walk out the hotel is amazing. The only thing we wished was different was that battery park was a bit of a mess as it's been renovated, so couldn't really spend lazy afternoons here. Overall would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple