“For the right price, I'll stay here anytime!”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #102 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I traveled to NYC last weekend for a girls getaway. We ended up choosing the Ritz Battery Park because we could get a large hotel room for a good rate (it's still the Ritz, so I wouldn't call it cheap...but no complaints from me about price). 3 girls shared a corner room and we had PLENTY of room. That's great for NYC. The bathroom was huge! The beds were great. It's all the way downtown in Battery Park, which I was a little concerned about when I booked the hotel...but the location wasn't bad at all. We walked to the West Village and Soho one afternoon and walked to the Brookly Bridge another day (30 min. walk or so)...and when we wanted to go uptown we hopped on the subway, which was about 4-5 blocks away. Also, the location being so far downtown was very quiet. It's not in a hip neighborhood, but for the price, the size, and the quality...I would book again anytime!

Room Tip: Corner room was big for any city and HUGE for NYC!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,340)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Tucked away downtown but yet easy to get to midtown via FDR and subways and/or Brooklyn this is a superb hotel. Wonderful service throughout with particular emphasis on great service at downstairs restaurant, housekeeping & upstairs spa/health club.

Ritz Battery Park is as quiet of a hotel you can get in NYC (particularly if you face the water with a great view of the Statue of Liberty ) with very comfortable beds.

I've stayed at almost all of the 5 star hotels in NY: peninsula, ritz central, four seasons, etc. and for me the price/value at this hotel is the best in NYC

Room Tip: Ask for water facing room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my second trip to New York, I stayed at the Barclay Intercontinental before which was lovely but I did prefer the Ritz Carlton Battery Park and its location.
This hotel was brilliant, we were taken to our room and from the window, could clearly see Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty WOW. The surrounding area is lovely with a waterfront walk through lovely gardens, a lovely place to just people watch. Bowling Green Subway is approx 3-4 mins from the hotel which will take you into the heart of Manhattan in 10 mins. By a multiple day subway card at the station. The trains were easy to use and very efficient. We did a full circle cruise of the Island and although a bit long winded it did you a good idea of the size and areas of New York. Central Station is a joy to behold and obviously the backdrop for many a film. Central Park, we did the bike ride (somebody else peddling I might add and it is better if you negotiate a
complete price at the beginning instead of the 2 dollars per minute.) The guide was very imformative and pointed out all the scenes for various films and of course the famous buildings, hotels and the Dakota Building ev en down to the fountain used in the opening scenes of Friends.
9/11 was as touching as ever and the fact that we made a booking for the first tour at 10am
meant that the tribute pools were empty initially for a short period of time, which gave us a chance to reflect on the loss. New York is a fantastic place if "you get it" and I think you either love it or hate it. We also 'walked up the avenue' and enjoyed every second. Excellent shopping, wonderful sights and New Yorkers full of character. Wonderful Deli's and Bens is not to be missed. Wall Street, Bloomingdales, Carnegie Hall, the Flat Iron building I could go on and on.
I hope you have a good time if you choose to go to this wonderful city.
We also had room service in the Ritz Carlton and the food was excellent, well worth the price.
Extremely comfortable beds, spotlessly clean and I for one would definitely return.

Thank You also for the excellent concierge service where nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a telescope. We were in Room 931
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GillyB37
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I just spent three nights at this hotel. The staff are extremely warm and friendly. They are extremely knowledgeable about almost anything in NYC. The room is lovely and comfortable. Rooms with a water view have telescopes in them. Room service is expensive (expected) and of course because it is an expensive hotel, you have to pay for internet service in your room. It is free in the hotel lobby. The westside esplanade borders the Hudson River and is great for walking, jogging and biking. There is a Citibike station right outside the hotel. It can be somewhat difficult to get taxis at night from this location. There are not many shops in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I needed to get away and decided to try out the Ritz. It is in the southern part of Manhattan (financial district) and offers easy access to Governors Island (great park and art exhibits), the esplanade and the Fulton Fish market (great seafood restaurants). No complaints except for not offering more amenities for the price you pay (very expensive). Even though they are part of Marriott Rewards, they do not honor the Gold Elite membership benefits that other Marriott properties do; i.e., you're paying for breakfast and no elite club access. You have to pay additional for club access and be sure to reserve club access weeks in advance, it was unavailable during our stay. The hotel restaurant is extremely overpriced ($30.00 pancakes!). We walked to Duncan Donuts on most mornings. Overall the hotel is great. The spa was so good we went for massages every day. Make sure to join Marriott rewards before you book and you can get a break on the parking (they usually have offers bundling room price with the parking fee at a reduced rate.)

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BlueZwitterion
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I was in town for my XX high school reunion. Although I live within driving distance (i.e. <3 hrs) I decided to make a weekend of it and stay at a hotel. The price tag was whopping. No doubt about that. But what I received in return delivered on the investment. The views...omg. So for the price, you own that view for 24 hours or for however long you stay at the hotel. Whether it was the Lady, which by herself is a somewhat emotional or at least reflective moment for any child of an immigrant ( and aren't we all) or the harbor with the many ships, sailboats, schooners, even a cruise vessel, to the city scape and Battery Park, it was just heavenly. I was blessed to have had perfect Indian summer/early fall weather so everything was still green and the breezes off the water were soothing and clarifying.

The rooms were well appointed, airy, the linens were sink your body in comfortable. The staff was amazing, not overly attentive or stuffy but still courteous, helpful, taking the extra step. I needed to have my room de-feathered (allergies to goose) and within minutes an army of house keeping staff came, stripped the linen and came and found me in the club lounge to let me know my room was set.

People will balk at paying good money for a room but once you do it, you understand why it is essential. It's not extravagance, it's just being respected for the hard work you do and appreciation that you have them your business.

I've been in many a 'harbor' hotel and I really appreciated the absence of seagulls. It was noticeable. I'll give Bloomberg an A for what he's done for the city and the mgt and staff at the Ritz an A+. I enjoyed the property so much I didn't even want to go to my dim sum brunch date. I just wanted to soak it all in. Thanks guys for a memorable weekend. And the reunion wasn't half and either.

Kudos to Jose the doorman who made me feel like Cinderella for my special night out. And Ankthar who sent me off so warmly and sincerely. Great job guys. I'm proud to be a native New Yorker.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Kewlgirl
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I had a very enjoyable 5 night stay at the hotel and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. The room was a good size, beds extremely comfortable and the bathroom clean with a very good shower. I made a last minute change to the booking to switch to a double room as a friend decided to join my trip - hotel handled this without a problem.

The location of the hotel is great for accessing the financial district of Manhattan and close to the subway uptown. Alternatively there are always cabs waiting at the door to take you where you need to go. Being on the edge of Manhattan means a slightly quieter location and a walk in Battery Park next to the hotel is a nice way to start the day.

The only reason I haven't rated this hotel as excellent is the lack of in-room coffee making facilities and the very expensive additional charge for wifi. I just don't feel it can be justified.

Room Tip: Statue of Liberty views are a nice touch but you can get a great view from the park next to the hote...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends