“Still Ritzy at the Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
Ranked #79 of 467 Hotels in New York City
California
“Still Ritzy at the Ritz”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

If possible, splurge for a Liberty suite and get spectacular views of the Statue of Liberty, Battery Park and NY Harbor. The suite is very spacious with a pantry, large dining table and nice living area. The guest half bath and coat closet is nice if you have guests in the suite.

The bedroom is comfortable and decorated in calming hues. The shower in the bath is somewhat small and the water closet is rather large. I do like the Toto bidet toilet seat. The seat actually inspired me to purchase a similar seat, but different brand, for home use.

The Asprey bath products are terrific and I am always tempted to want to take a few bottles home with me, but can't as I always try to carry on my luggage and the TSA regulations still limit travelers to one small plastic bag with 3 ounces of liquids. You can now carry on a knife, but not extra shampoo! (Sorry, I digressed.)

Located on the 11th floor is the Club which has breakfast and evening cocktails and canapes available. Lunch may also be available, but have not been at the hotel to experience it. The breakfast made available in the Club is very nice with smoked salmon, assorted breads and pastries, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, cold cereals and more. Sodas and water are available throughout the day. Access to the Club costs about an extra $100 per day, but if you are going to actually be at the hotel during the times the food is being served, it is $100 well spent.

The housekeeping staff is absolutely delightful and extremely helpful. I also appreciate the room service cooks/chefs who actually can cook scrambled eggs soft as requested.

Suggest having a copy of your confirmation available upon arrival just to ensure the type of room/suite reserved is the type actually received. I would also suggest that if the doormen are not actually stationed at the door to assist in opening the doors, maybe install a carousel door or automatic doors. The doors, maybe due to the wind during my most recent visit, are somewhat difficult to open.

Definitely the place to stay if you have business downtown or need to visit Brooklyn as the Ritz is located close to the tunnel used to get to Brooklyn.

Room Tip: Liberty Suites are the _17 suites afford outstanding views and are located in corners. I also liked...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DinLBC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Ritz is service at its best. The property isn't the newest, but it is a great hotel and the bed is the most comfortable, even more comfy than my bed at home. I almost always stay here when I travel to NYC for work as it is very convenient to the office - each time I stay here, I always sleep so well.

Internet is an extra charge, which is fine since the firm picks it up. Although it still bothers me that luxury hotels always surcharge for internet, when it is such a common commodity these days.

The Statue of Liberty view is a perk, esp. with the telescope.

I always appreciate the quick service to get a cab (since the end of West St. isn't always the best place to catch one).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed on a Thurs/Fri nite...room had a nice view of the Statue of Liberty with telescope for close up viewing..bedding fantastic ...fridge in the room was not working and issue was not addressed during our stay. Staff friendly .. Daughter lives in Battery Park so very nice place to stay for the convenience of being within walking distance to her. Didn't experience any of the above and beyond services others have raved about...seemed just as nice as other higher end hotels I have stayed with.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Allentown,PA
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Where does one go in NYC to endure a night of peace and quiet? Why the Ritz Carlton, Battery Park. With sweeping views of the Statue of Liberty and the harbor, There truly is no other place I would like to hang my hat at the end of a long day in the city.

Beds are super comfy as expected and if you can splurge for the club level rooms - I assure you will not be disappointed with the service and amenities.

We will be back again and again - worth every penny!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittston, PA
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just left the RC in Battery Park a few hours ago. After quite an issue booking a room via AMEX Platinum/Centurion travel, I was lucky enough to grab an availability on the Ritz Carlton website that was unavailable on the Fine Hotels & Resorts Amex program page. I booked the hotel using only a Marriott number and a cc guarantee.

After finely getting the room I needed for my 6 year old to see the Statue of Liberty, I called AMEX to see if they could book the room or change the reservation to get me the AMEX amenities, (noon check in, $100 hotel credit, 4pm late check out and a continental breakfast). The AMEX travel person was hesitant to even try to do it and I asked her nicely to try she obliged. After speaking to a few people at the Ritz front desk the swap was accomplished. Much to my and my travel ladies surprise. That is just where my fantastic experience began.

I was greeted immediately when checking in, my car and luggage were taken care of very quickly. I think the Valet charge was $60 + 10 because i was driving a SUV. I was traveling with my 72 year old father and 6 year old son. We were in NYC to catch a BB game at MSG and decided to stay down south because it was St Patrick's Day Parade day and we were trying to avoid the delays that can be associated with it.

No line to check in, we were a few hours early (around 2pm) there were a few people waiting for rooms. I was quickly asked about my preferences for the room (pillows, rollaway, drinking water, etc). The front desk person immediately after noticing my 6 year old son decided to only focus on his warm welcome. He was offered snacks (after asking me inconspicuously if it was ok), given a small plush lion, and was made to feel as if he was running the show.

It is always little things like this that make me choose the Ritz over the other luxury brands.

Our room was a Liberty View Executive Suite. It was very large, had a nice sectional couch, that converted to a bed a few 42" TV's (interactive and internet ready) and cordless phones throughout. The bathroom was large, marble all over, giant soaking tub and very nice walk in shower. The room was a corner room and there were lots of windows. one in the living room, 2 in the bed room (corner), even one in the bathroom.

2 of the windows (BR & LR) had really nice views of the Statue of Liberty. These views were enhanced by the in room telescope that my 6 year old loved.

everything was in very good shape, room was immaculate, while we went to the game turndown service was provided as well as the sofa bed being opened and another firmer mattress added to make the sofa bed really comfortable. The sofa bed was nearly as comfortable as the actual bed. Both were draped with luxurious linens and pillows of our asking. There were tons of bath towels, robes, slippers and toiletries available. We were made aware that the 'honor bar' was really just a fridge that you could feel free to raid (within reason) without charge.

The cost of the suite was reasonable for NYC, plus hotel type and size. AMEX rate was $650 a night, and we were upgraded to the corner suite.

We were offered the car service and concierge help. We also ate in the restaurant to use up some of the hotel credit.

Restaurant was very nice, pricey, but great service. I ordered 2 things not on the menu and they made them without hesitation and they were good. My 6 year old wanted a milkshake and again without hesitation they accepted his request and brought him a beautiful large flute with the shake. He was in heaven. Everyone was attentive, helpful and again catered to the kid. The entire trip was all about him anyway.

Check out was a breeze (late check out left at 3pm), valet had the car out front b4 I got down stairs, fresh fruit in the lobby and several people inquired if we needed any directions or help getting around.

All in all, very much what you have come to expect at the Ritz, with a little more modern feel and I have to say a homeyness quality.

It is a bit off the beaten path on the weekend, It is pricey and they aren't afraid to charge you for some of the convenience (wifi comes to mind), it is deserted on weekends down south Manhattan, however the hotel was sold out.

Lots of BB fans and some players from teams that didn't make it to the Championship game. Just a really great place to stay and If I could think of something negative to say I would. I guess you pay a little more for the Ritz, but in most instances I have found it to be well worth while.

The brand is, and continues to be my goto indulgence.

We are checking out the Atlanta Ritz for the Final Four in a few weeks. Certainly hopeful they knock it out of the park there as well.

Room Tip: Get a Statue of Liberty View Room. Well worth the tiny upgrade fee.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rockledge, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We got in Friday at noon and our room was ready. We thought to take a nap before our 7PM meeting. I guess we had been working hard, we slept until 5:30. Naps, night time, just a great bed. And what friendly service.

Room Tip: Room with a view of Lady Liberty, worth the money
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here in February and enjoyed the spaciousness of the room and the view of both the river and the Statue of Liberty. The telescope in our room was a neat little amenity, as well.
The bed was uber comfy and the hotel is within easy access to Wall Street if you want to poke around that area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple