Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews original cabin light sleeper small space earplugs lowry soho
Selected filters
Reviewed October 18, 2017 via mobile

Don't bother. Really. What a nightmare ! Please believe me. This is totally misrepresented on the website. At 8pm out took 20 mins to book in as the rooms (rooms huh - bunks? Closets?!) weren't ready. Noisy and grubby. No apologies for my anger about this place. Don't do it !

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Loveday08
Reviewed October 18, 2017

Be aware, this place does not live up to the webpage. It is a very basic hostel suitable for young packpackers. It is not suitable for families or older people. There no elevators at all. Reception is on the 3rd floor and our room another floor up. Toilets and washrooms for men were on our floor but for my wife they were one floor down. It is very dimly lit, almost need a torch to navigate the stairs. It is dirty, our room was supposed to be serviced every 4 days. We were there 8 days and it was not serviced at all. Rooms are called cabins, they should be called cupboards, 1 metre of space at the foot and down one side only. Two hooks only to hang clothes. Under the bed was putrid and included a mousetrap !. Toilets and showers were filthy although an attempt was made to keep them clean there the conditions probably say more about the clientele than the hotel. Due to only having a lattice ceiling there is no real privacy and all sounds, bodily and otherwise, are heard by all. There are no phones or internet unless you have you own devices. The staff however were wonderful and extremely helpful. But BE AWARE before you book.

Room tip: Go elsewhere
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hilifta
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House by OYO, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Dear Hilifta,

Thank you for your stay and review. The Bowery House is a hostel which started as The Prince Hotel in the 1920's. The Bowery House is in a historic building less than six stories tall. Buildings built at this time in NYC with less than six floors did not have elevators installed when they were built due to cost. We have a Bell Hop to assist with luggage since we do not have an elevator. Our cabins are simple sleeping spaces. Original Cabins the smallest and Queen Cabins with Windows the largest. Our prices reflect that we are a hostel. We work very hard to keep the shared bathrooms clean as you noticed. Our amazing staff is always here to help. Any problem you experience during your stay should be brought to their attention. This is advice for any place that you stay.
I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

I stayed just one night here which was enough. It's not really a room as more of a hostel bed with divider walls. Your ceiling will have a see through lattice looking up to a common roof that you share with 40+ other travellers. You hear absolutely everything. I was lucky to be stuck next door to a guy who farted all night and snored like a bear. And on the other side someone's phone vibrated on silent constantly. If you have to stay here you will want to get a room with a window so you feel less like a piece of stored furniture or packing box because the rooms are no larger than a small storage room. Like a multi-bunk bed hostel room it's almost impossible to sleep after 5am because everyone is so noisy. I am only 5'8 in height and even my feet hung over the edge of the bed. If you need to go to the toilet in the middle of the night you have to clang open your door and make your way through a maze of corridors to the communal bathroom. It is more like walking through a storage facility warehouse than "cabins" especially with the caged roofs. It is pretty central with most places worth seeing only a half hour walk away but for the price you pay if you are staying longer than one night you will easily find somewhere nicer on Air B'n'b.

Trip type: Traveled solo
6  Thank ToppMarks
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House by OYO, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Dear Mark E,

Yes! We are a hostel!!! We are listed as a hostel. The Bowery House is a historic lodging that allows each guest to have their own Cabin and shared bathrooms. Cabins have trellis ceiling which allow the heating and cooling for each Cabin. It sounds like you booked an Original Cabin which is the cheapest and smallest. The cabins with windows make for a much better stay. As you noticed, our location is top notch. I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

I'm not sure what I expected but if you can imagine sleeping in a toilet like cell cubicles with walls that are dividers and a grate (yes open metal grate) on the ceiling so you are essentially in an open space full of dividers, then you can imagine what this is. No money is 'cheap enough' or even good value to go through that. I checked in (which in itself took an hour while they tried to find my payment but not their fault so I'm fine with it) but when all that was finally done and I was shown the room, despite my having not slept in over 24 hours from long travel time, I literally couldn't stay there! I've slept in hostels in India and Thailand and backpacked for years but this was just humiliating and not at all worth even a fraction of what they charge.

Sorry guys. I ended up paying an extra 50
Dollars and got a real room with a real ceiling and a good nights sleep just up the road.

Trip type: Traveled solo
4  Thank Ben P

Ben P,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you were not happy with your stay. I'm sure you understand that land value like currencies vary from country to country and there is a big difference between Thailand/India and New York City. The Bowery House offers affordable accommodations in a great area of Manhattan.
Very happy to hear you found the accommodations that fit you best. Being happy on a trip is important.

Reviewed September 17, 2017

Stayed there for 2 days. Did not have a choice because during the fashion week the prices in other paces was crazy. Thought: how bad could a place be? Well, it can be really bad. It is dirty everywhere: cabins, bathrooms, and etc. Smelly: I don't know what it was, probably the cleaning supplies together with other smells. And boy was it loud! At night either someone was snoring, or someone was coughing, or someone was showering, or someone was entering/leaving their rooms. Not used to NY prices, but was expecting that paying about $120 per night would end up being a better experience.

Room tip: Just dont come here. Get an airbnb somewhere.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank DinaBak

Dear DinaBak,

Thank you for staying with us and posting a review. I'm so sorry you were unhappy with your stay. Fashion Week is very busy in NYC and rates reflect that across the city. As a hostel, we will have noises with people coming and going. People will shower and enter/depart as they they like when enjoying their visit to NYC.
I hope you will stay with us again during an off peak date so you can enjoy The Bowery House.