“This is not a hotel- there are no ceiling in the cabins”
Review of The Bowery House

The Bowery House
Ranked #23 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This place is worst than a hostel as there is no privacy whatsoever. The small cabins are covered by a lattice ceiling. So even with sleeping pills, you can barely sleep.

The owner prides himself with the fact that lots of care went into recreating the original cabins and they have such an extraordinary garden roof. But to me, this is just cosmetics to cover the fact, that this is just an hostel, and that you cannot sleep in it. I upgraded to the Prince room, aka, the only private room in the house. All in all, I thought the whole thing was a gimmick. Overpriced.

On the plus side, this is well located, the staff is friendly and helpful and the roof garden is indeed nice.

Room Tip: Pick the peppers room to share with a friend or the prince room as a couple. Otherwise, rent elsewhe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank christin77
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear christin77,
Thank you for your stay and review! We are proud of our historical cabins. They are very clean and fitted with high thread count sheets and blankets. Our guests love the roof top with the amazing views and space to enjoy themselves. Staff is dedicated to providing our guests with directions to their destination and insight to local favorites. I hope you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for The Bowery House

Reviewed April 10, 2014

If you look for a new concept of a hostel, go there. You will get your own privet space, very small but nice and clean. It is very close to China town and Little Italy where you can find the best food for almost no money. There, you can live (as a tourist) for 100$ a day - all included.

Room Tip: A room with a window can be nice, but do not expect a view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Anatmo54,
Thank you for your stay and review! The Bowery House is a classic accommodation for the New York Traveler. We offer a location that puts the best of NYC within walking distance - amazing dining, shopping and night life. I'm glad you pointed out how affordable NYC can be. We offer a true value to those visiting NYC.
We hope to see you next time!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Terrible, noisy, small and much too expensive for what they offer. There is bar below and you can hear the music until 4:00 am. The reception is only seperated from the dorm by a swing door and all the guest conversation can be heard in the cabins (or better said boxes).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Gabriele R
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Gabriele R,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you were unhappy with your stay. The Bowery House is a historic property that offers guests very affordable cabins in one of the best neighborhoods of the city. Beds have high thread count sheets, the property is very clean as you noticed and we offer a great value to the traveler. Our rooftop offers amazing views and complimentary wifi is high speed to keep you well connected. Any problems with noise be solved by our excellent staff! I hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start? I wasn't expecting much; I've stayed in several hostels. You get what you pay for. Not here. The single cabins are tiny. The beds won't accommodate you if you're over five and a half feet tall. I spent three semi sleepless nights in this hostel ($84.97/night) and might have gotten nine hours of sleep. As an added bonus, NYPD was in the lobby looking for someone on my final night. I was asked for my room number and given an odd look.

I woke up the next morning and there was no hot water for a shower. I checked into a hotel.

Oh, if you need to get in touch with them, good luck. They don't answer the phone.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank jpcongle
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear jpcongle,
Thank you for your stay and review! I'm sorry to hear about the problems during your visit. We can solve any problem and I'm sorry you didn't speak to me or my staff. Our number one goal is for each of our guests to have a great stay. We love to hear from our guests and answer many calls a day to make sure our valued guests are well taken care of during their time with us. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance 212.837.2373x101.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed back in September 2013, and it was my first time in New York - I was on a budget and wanted to spend the least on accommodation but wanted something close where everything was going on in New York - and this is where the Bowery House came in.

You get a single room with a shared bathroom. The most important thing about the place is that it is extremely clean compared to other hostels. The team on the desk is what make the place. I am from the big city across the pond, and they really looked after me and gave me great recommendations for bars and restaurants to go to. Oscar who was on the night desk as the time was particularly helpful.

One thing just to note, I wasn't planning on sleeping much when I was there, I literally just needed a place to dump my stuff and spend as much time out as possible - and for my needs this place hit the spot. It is a little bit noisy but no more than any other hostel. Thanks for making New York a memorable experience for me guys!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Imran C,
Thank you for your stay and FIVE STAR REVIEW! We are dedicated to providing our guests a great experience. Insights into local places to eat, see and visit are important to fully enjoy NYC. Our location is perfect. Guest love being able to go anywhere any time with easy connection via subway or short walk.
We want our guests to be comfortable. The Bowery House is dedicated to keeping everything very clean out of respect for our guests. We hope you with stay with us again when visiting New York City!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Reviewed March 10, 2014

to begin i stayed in newyork from the end of febuary to the beginning of march and yeh the weather in new york wasnt nice but my stay here was absolutely one of my highlights of my stay. The entrance to the hotel is vintage and the decor itself is beautiful .This is definately boutique style , from the bathrooms , to the showers , as well as the corrodors. From reading the reviews i was preparing for a really small room , but WOW it was just perfect and cute for me , i am a 5ft 9inches in height so i fit in nicely. I also was pleasantly suprised by the friendliness of the Staff.Tiffany helpful as well beautiful and kind , Christopher was always friendly and great speaker with a refreshing outlook. I also enjoyed oscars company , a very refined , well spoken individual .Other staff that also made my stay were john and jamie , who always greeted me with a smile. I loved the character of this place , the common room was a good place to meet people from different parts of the world.The showers were always hot and the floor i was on were mostly women. It was overall an expereince i will remember.
Thankyou to all who work at The Bowery house.

Room Tip: Room is Super cosy. On a winter in New york city to have a warm room to go to was Amazing.Everyone i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Ikram A

Dear Ikram A,
Thank you for your stay and FIVE STAR REVIEW! We enjoyed having you stay with us. The Cabins are comfortable and our staff really care about guests as you experienced. We have an international clientele and they are quick to make new friends. Your experience at The Bowery House is part of the magic we are able to offer our guests for an unforgettable stay. We hope to see you on your next trip to NYC!