The Bowery House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Off Soho Suites(New York City)
  • Fitness center
The Nolitan Hotel(New York City)
PUBLIC(New York City)
Sohotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
The Gatsby Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Crosby Street Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Windsor Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
The Ridge Hotel(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Sago Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooftop gardenprince streetoriginal cabincommunal showershotel hostelshared bathroomprovide ear plugsnew yorkrooms are smallwhole foodsshort staylower manhattanlounge areaearplugslowrychinatownnyc
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Perfect for solo travellers. Small cabins, literally use just as a place to sleep and keep belongings safe. Would recommend to friends, and will be staying there next time I'm in New York. Free wifi and lovely communal living area. Bathrooms are super clean,

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Daisy V
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Daisy V,
Thank you for your review and stay! The Bowery House is the perfect place for solo or couple travelers. We look forward to having your friends stay with us. We offer fast wifi to keep our guests connected and a beautiful lobby to enjoy, relax and meet others. We are proud to keep our bathrooms 'super clean' for our Super Guests.
Matthew Dempsey/General Manager.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Rooms are clean. Small, but this is Manhattan so wasn't surprised. Bathroom is very clean! Reception desk are the best. Very friendly and willing to help. Christopher was very friendly and so were all the other receptionist that I came into contact with. A great deal.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank nycworldtraveling
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear nycworldtraveling,
Thank you for your stay and FIVE STAR REVIEW! We are proud to offer guests a great place to stay when visiting NYC. We take cleanliness very serious and are glad you noticed! Our staff at the front desk is glad to help in any way possible. Restaurant recommendations, local travel insights and subway directions are only a few of the things we are happy to provide to our dear guests. We hope you will call The Bowery House home when you are in New York.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

First off, you have to know what you're getting into when you book your stay at The Bowery House. The cabins are very small but the price you pay for a great location is worth it in my opinion.

- I booked a Cabin w/ window for 3 nights ( I was upgraded after the first night which I'll get to later). The bed in my Cabin fit my wife and I comfortably. I'm 5'10 and I still had a little foot room to spare when I laid down on the bed. The bed essentially takes up the whole cabin with a foot or two of walking space between the door and the bed. As far as storage space goes, there was just enough room for our suitcase and a backpack.

- No ceiling to the cabin. It's just a thatched roof covering the cabin so you'll be able to hear those staying in the cabins around you. However, everyone seemed to respect this and I never heard someone talking loudly or making a lot of noise.

I do want to express how friendly and accommodating the staff at The Bowery House were. After check-in, my wife and I went to our Cabin to find that it was not ready. The old sheets/covers were still on the bed and you could tell it had not been cleaned (some trash and stains on the bed sheets). We told the front desk and they were very apologetic about it. My wife and I ended up waiting another 30 minutes or so while they prepared our cabin. They again expressed that they were sorry and upgraded us to the Prince Room for the last 2 nights of our stay. The Prince Room was a pleasant surprise with it's own A/C unit, Television, Queen bed and plenty of room for my wife and I to spread out.

I would definitely recommend The Bowery House to those who want a budget-friendly place to crash while exploring NYC. They have a great staff and a perfect location (close to the Brooklyn Bridge, Little Italy, Chinatown, great bars and restaurants)

I recommend checking out these bars/restaurants that are close to The Bowery House:
- Randolph Beer (great food/good craft beer selection)
- The Bowery Diner (went there for breakfast - a bit pricey but the food was amazing )

Also - If you're looking for something to do at night and like music - go check out Rockwood Music Hall (less than 10 minute walk from The Bowery House). My wife and I went on a Saturday night and there was no cover. We got see three very different but very entertaining musicians/bands.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kevin r
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear kevin r,
Thank you for your stay and review! We really do offer a great experience. Our guests enjoy the rates, attention to detail and service at The Bowery House. We know our guests have many choices when traveling to NYC. We want to add to the NYC experience in any way possible for our travelers. I'm proud we were able to take excellent care of you during your stay. Please let me know when you are returning so we can make sure everything is PERFECT!
Safe travels,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

If you can, spend 50 or 60 more bucks to stay at a budget hotel.
There is no ceiling above the rooms, so you are going to hear everything during the night and all sorts of alarm clocks in the morning. There is a fact that around 50% of male adult snore, so its more likely that someone is going to snore. I don't mind people snoring, the real problem are the light sleepers, who can't sleep because of the snorers, they start to yell like little babies. Sometimes they wakeup and hit the snorers doors, so they wakeup and start to fight in the middle of the night, it's a complete mess.
I don't recommend this place, and will never return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Rodolfomagno,
Thank you for your stay and review! Sorry to hear about the noise you experienced during your stay. Our guest cabin areas are quiet areas. We also place earplugs in each room for our guests.
We have a great location, incredible roof top and helpful staff. I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Pros:
-Perfect location for me.. There were plenty of things around in wakling distances without feeling overwhelming by the NYC. It is also located near many subway lines which was very convenient.
-Price was not bad for being in NYC
-Nice big rooftop area.
-Helpful staff

Cons:
-TINY ROOM and BED. To note, I had stayed at one of the private rooms. I am only about 5'7 and my foot reached the wall and made the night very uncomfortable. I couldn't imagine trying to sleep there if I was any taller. I did talk to other travelers there though, and they told me the beds in the dorm rooms were longer, so I can only comment on these private rooms.
-Noise... you can hear everything since there is no closed-in ceiling. I stayed here for a week and one morning I woke up to a couple "getting busy". Hm...
-Water was not constantly staying hot nor warm at times. I heard this is a common issue for hostels where there are many people using it at the same time in a small area(?)
-Towels.... Their "policy" was that only 1 towel is given for week. I did ask for another because I just thought that was ridiculous. I'm not going to make this is a big deal because there was no trouble when I asked for another but the policy itself just don't make sense at all IMHO.

Overall...
-Despite some of its issue, the stay was "average". Location was perfect and I like how the hostel is setup and it's easy to meet new people. Size of the bed was the only big issue for me.

Room Tip: I'm 5'7 and my foot reached the wall in the private rooms. I don't know about the other but if you were any taller, I would look into this before booking.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
MJDempsey, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear jbyoun01,
Thank you for your review and recent stay! The Bowery House has the perfect location to enjoy all the city has to offer. Our rooftop is rare among affordable NYC properties and we are glad you took advantage of it during your stay. Our Original Cabins are called that because it is has the original sized bed from the 1940's. Larger bed types are available, just book them in the future or ask for an upgrade. Cabins are compact and made for the budget minded who prefer to spend their money enjoying the city eating and shopping. The Bowery House is a unique and outstanding property. We hope to see you the future trips to NYC!