“Just for the night”

Ranked #19 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Mexico City, Mexico
“Just for the night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

A regular place to stay if you want to have some privacy (not a hostel, but almost). Small cabins, small bad, shared bathroom. It is almost impossible to regulate the temperature in the showers (male showers) since of the three showers, only one had a regulator. The heating in the rooms was sooooo high that you can sleep naked. Barely enough room for a small piece of luggage and that's it.
It is terrible that that don't control the noise from the other guests. Noisy frat people laughing two hours in a row at 3 am. (I mean, I had bad luck, but the hotel should put more attention to it).
People in the reception desk are nice, helpful and patient.
It could be a little bit better for the price.

Room Tip: Choose the ones far away from the bathrooms. Guess the 420's are good. I had the 422 but it has...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
sskunkel, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear JoelVargas,
Thank you for your stay and review! Our cabins are a historical NYC rooming option and a great deal when visiting NYC. My apologies for the noise. We have staff and security to make sure our guests get a good nights rest. I hope you will visit us again.
Matthew Dempsey/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Although I was a little surprised when I arrived (it seemed totally different online) I warmed up to it fast. The single rooms are tiny but somehow really comfy and it does seem clean. What I really enjoyed was the armosohere, the smell, the people. For that price you really get all that is needed. The staff is really really friendly and helpful. Because you are im soho you have a relly good location too

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Maria Z
Dear Maria Z,
Thank you for your stay and review! Our cabins are clean, comfy and a good deal. We have a great staff that will help in any way possible to make sure you enjoy the city. Our location puts you in the middle of SoHo to enjoy all the amazing bars, restaurants and shops. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Seems like a lot of people had the wrong idea about this place before they went. I spent three days there in peak tourist season and paid $237, which for New York at that time of year is a flipping fantastic deal. But the price isn't why I like this place. This place is awesome regardless. No, it's not quiet. I'll start right out by saying that. Yes, you will be sleeping under a false ceiling which more of a lattice than anything else. But they provide ear plugs, so get over it. The rooms are tiny, There is just enough room for a single bed and a bedside table, but if you're not going to be spending much time in your room, that's really all you need. I thought the rooms were cute. They have these old school jar lampshades, and dark wood wall, and it's kind of like being in a cabin on an old fashioned ocean liner. Enough about the rooms, though, the rest of the building is beautiful. The reception area is decorated to perfection. Dark green walls, and huge studded leather sofas and wonderful chandeliers - a type of old school luxury that reminds you of a bygone era that you wish you hadn't missed out on. The bathrooms as well. They give you Ralph Lauren towels so when you step out of the steaming hot shower into the dark red and black tile bathroom and wrap yourself in one you almost forget it's 2013 and you're in a hostel you paid $75 a night for, and not in an expensive boutique hotel in the 1940s. To top it all of is the roof terrace, complete with fake grass and designer perspex furniture. Great views of Bowery, and if you're lucky enough you can catch the sunset (or sit outside in a thunderstorm.. both are fun). This hotel is not everybody's cup of tea, but if you're looking for a unique place that oozes character and has friendly staff and a great location, and aren't so worried about the size of your room or the presence of a real ceiling, then give this place a shot! your wallet will thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HCIM90
Dear HCIM90,
Thank you for your stay and review! The Bowery House is a unique and historical NYC lodging option. We offer a great place to rest, secure luggage and bathe in a boutique setting. Attention to detail is important to us. Our rooftop is one of the best places in the city to enjoy the views and sights.
We hope you will chose The Bowery House as your home away from home when in NYC!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The bowery house hotel delivered everything that I expected from it during my stay.
As long as you go knowing what the rooms are like (no ceiling) then you won't be disappointed. The staff were extremely kind, friendly and helpful going to every effort to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The place was very clean and smartly decorated. Regarding the noise, it depends who is staying there at the time and how considerate they are, but during my stay there was nothing too unbearable and the complimentary ear plugs are very useful. If your after an inexpensive hotel in an EXCELLENT manhattan location then this is definitely the place.

Dear L_e12312,
Thank you for your stay and review! We are glad you enjoyed your cabin. Our cabins provide an affordable way to enjoy 'The City That Never Sleeps!' Our staff will help you make the most of your NYC trip. We can book tours and give insights to enjoy the city. We hope you will stay with us each time you visit!
Sant Quirze del Valles, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Positive: Nice staff, nice location, clean facilities and great decoration. Beds are quite small but comfortable, so that's ok for me.
Negative: Hard to sleep properly specially in the weekends because of a lounge club downstairs (I have to say that the hotel offered to change my room) and some incivic people that talks on the phone early in the morning or late at night even it is forbidden.

Room Tip: Try to change your room if it is oriented to Bowery and you want to sleep in the weekends.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
sskunkel, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear SandraSandraSandra,
Thank you for your stay and review! My apologies for the inconsiderate person on the phone. We take our guests comfort serious. We have a clean property with staff that loves to help you enjoy NYC as much as possible. We hope you will stay with us again.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed in the Bowery overnight a few weeks ago when visiting for 24hrs, and my wife made this reservation since her work event was a few blocks away. The staff is very nice, especially the doorman who walked our luggage up the 2 flights of stairs to the lobby.

Many rooms, both small and smaller (options!), and we stayed in a double...which was big enough for the double bed and our luggage only. Almost all rooms lack a "hard" ceiling, so there is much noise from other guest cabins - very happy they supplied earplugs, since I wouldn't been able to sleep well without them. With them in, I slept just fine, even with our room having a window onto the street.

The communal bathrooms are well-maintained, but the shower controls are not very friendly, and the water temperature was too hot for my preference...other than that no issues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark L,
Thank you for your stay and review! We offer a really cool place for a small amount of money - not something you will find in NYC very often. We have great staff who well help you enjoy the city and provide all kinds of insights. Rooms are traditional and compact which keeps costs down for our savvy travelers. My apologies for the shower controls. We are fixing them now.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I, honestly, was disappointed with the Bowery House. I wanted it to be awesome. Alas, temper your excitement.

Take a hostel, and take cubicle walls and place them around beds. That should be the mindset you come in with. The walls are a bit sturdier, but that's really the atmosphere. With that, comes the noise to which people are referring. The bathrooms are okay and a bit more worn than from when the photos were taken. There was one shower in the men's bathroom that was on scalding, leaving only two good showers.

What really annoyed me was that the Bowery House charged for you to leave your luggage past check out. I dare bet that 98% of lodgings in North America offer this as a courtesy, but not at the Bowery House. $10! This made me leave feeling nickel and dimed.

If you come in with the expectation of a hostel, maybe you'll like it. If you come in with a budget hotel in mind, I recommend spending that extra $20/$30/$40 per night and going elsewhere. I certainly did!

1 Thank theAVclub
Dear the AVclub,
Thank you for your stay and review. So sorry you left disappointed. We offer an affordable, traditional NYC lodging on The Bowery to our guests and they love it! I hope you would consider another stay with us. I will personally take care of your luggage for you.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels