“AWESOME: The Bowery House”
Review of The Bowery House

The Bowery House
Ranked #30 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2013

From the moment I called to check availability, I knew The Bowery House was the place I wanted to stay during my search for an apartment in Manhattan. The Bowery House location at the end of Prince Street and Bowery, is ideal for walking to Soho restaurants, as well as the trendy East Village, the place to be if you like to have a beer and good food at a decent price.
Everyone of the Bowery House Team Members has been very friendly always asking how my stay is going. Thank you Tyler and Val for all of your help with my second reservation, you both are awesome! The rooms and bathrooms are very clean. The noise level is minimal, I have had some of the best sleep yet.
I highly recommend The Bowery House.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Supet clean beds. Common bath is always clean, the housekeeping ia making sure that it stays like that. The crew is really friendly, no matter what time it is they always chat with pleasure and a big smile! It was a nice journey that made me forget the missing elevator :). Promiscuity was not a problem, it was even funny to share the room with people you don't know!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
sskunkel, General Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Selim,

Thank you for your review of The Bowery House. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct, it is a fun time to share the room with other travelers. It's the best way to make new friends and explore NYC. I hope you can visit us again!

MGMT

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is very trendy, and I didn't mind the tiny cabin room, lack of window, or shared (reasonably smart) bathrooms. But with open ceilings in the cabins it was essentially like staying in a dorm. So quite noisy in the morning and certainly not somewhere you could share a bed! (For privacy and size reasons). Next time I'll probably revert to the Pod Hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank solarize_uk
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was disappointed by the Bowery House. I knew I would have a tiny cabin and a shared bathroom and was OK with that, but I wasn't expecting to carry my baggage to the 4th floor using the stairs or to use a less than clean bathroom. On the other hand, staff was helpful and the location is good -a cool yet 'alternative' neighborhood, maybe not for everyone. It's convenient, close to many subway lines, including one that takes you to JFK.

All in all, I wouldn't stay here again. I would save some more money and stay in a real hostel, or pay a little bit more and stay in a real hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
sskunkel, Owner at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Martin:

Hi - thank you for your feedback on your stay here.

I'm sorry it was less than ideal.

Typically, we have a bellhop on duty to handle all guest's luggage from the moment they arrive and during all check out hours. If you checked in/out during normal hours he should have been there to help. I'm sorry if that was not the case. We would have loved to help you with your luggage up the 4th floor.

If the bathrooms were anything less than spotless, that is unacceptable. Rest assured this message has been passed along to the housekeeping team and property manager. If you come back to NYC, we'd love to have the opportunity to impress you a second time. Our bathrooms will be spotless. That is the backbone of our business.

Best of luck in future travels. We sincerely hope you will give us a second shot. I'm sorry we did not live up to your expectations or ours.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

you can find fault with the concept, the noise, the creaky bathroom door etc, but it's a cheap place to stay in NYC and as such, it's difficult to reasonably make any of the criticism stick. if you're travelling on your own and you sleep like the dead, then you'll get on just fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I believe the Bowery House was designed to make me hate it. First, it's located on the Bowery, and no amount of gentrification can wipe away the street's skid-row charms. And the Bowery House itself has "former homeless shelter" written all over it. The rooms -- "cabins" -- are tiny, just big enough for an undersized bed, you, and maybe your carry-on luggage (but probably not your carry-on luggage). Also the cabins don't have ceilings, which is to say that the walls don't go all the way up to the ceiling. Perhaps you've wondered, "What if I could sleep in a fitting room at JCPenney's?" Well, at the Bowery House, you can sort of have an answer to that question, although not quite, because the Bowery House cabins don't have wall mirrors. But.... I spent ninety-five percent of my time at the Bowery House asleep and the other five percent taking a shower, and the Bowery House was more than adequate for that. It's fairly easy to get past the place's idiosyncracies when you're asleep. The Bowery House was clean, private enough, ill-lit but not thoroughly depressing, secure, and fairly cheap, considering. Wouldn't want to live here, but wouldn't mind coming back for a night or two either.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Is this a joke?
I'm not really one to write reviews or vent like this, but this place deserves to be moaned about!
Fine - it's slightly cheaper than a Comfort Inn, but that is its one and only pro. The staff are friendly but didn't seem at all surprised when I cut my stay short.

The cons - endless.

3 flights of stairs to get to reception.

Rooms are not rooms but cells the size of closets. You do not have a ceiling, rather a lattice. As a result you can hear EVERYTHING on your floor. No room to do anything - no storage, no extras, just a bed and a tiny bedside table.

Window rooms only have curtains covering your section of cell. As a result, the top part is letting in light and noise (as its open). No a/c running, so in summer it must be stifling.

Bed bugs!

There is only one bathroom for each sex, and on another floor. Showers have curtains and there is no private space to get dressed. Oh and you'll be sharing with some cat sized roaches.

To the hotel management - your replies to criticism on here are laughable. Dressing up a cramped and poorly finished hostel as a historical hotel is apalling. Your website is totally misleading and you know it.

This is nothing more than a greedy hotelier trying to cram in as many bodies as possible.

I can only assume the positive reviews on here are from friends or staff, or the those with criminally low standards.
I read the negative reviews on here before booking and figured the positives outweighed those. Wrong! Please take notice of this review and do not waste your money - you'll not get any sleep and you will have a miserable time in NYC.

As much as I want to support independent businesses, I think in this case you may as well spend an extra $50 a night to feel safe and comfortable in a chain hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Greek_80

Hello Greek_80:

Well, first of all, I'm sad to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay here at The Bowery House. The fact is, the vast majority of travelers do. And I must admit, your review is probably the most extreme and sensational one we have ever encountered.

Due to the historic nature of our building (National Historic Register), we have some physical limitations that we have to work with as a result of restoring and preserving the 1940s cabins that were built for soliders coming back from the war.

If at any point, you saw a bedbug or a roach and alerted management, your stay would have been refunded. However, you did not do this. And we have NEVER had one complaint about any roaches here. Your words are dangerous and we take this stuff very seriously. Bedbugs are a part of life in NYC, they come with travelers. And even with that fact, this has never been an issue for us as we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the facilities.

Its a shame you chose to voice all of your frustrations online rather than in person. Commenting on what it is like in the summer without having ever stayed here is particularly frustrating. If you do your research on the web or on any online travel agency we are very clear about what we offer here, which is one of the best values in NYC.

Better luck in your future travels. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, but we're glad you enjoyed the staff.