“Good ethnic Serbian food”
Review of Kafana

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: 7th and 8th street
Transit: F to 2nd Avenue and Houston, L to 1st Avenue and 14th Street. M15 Bus stops in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed March 22, 2019

We visited this place several times and food was always tasty, but not always consistent. Maybe this is charm of Serbian restaurants, lol! Cevapcici were always good and appetizer pies. Service is good if you are used for waiters and waitresses to chat with guests in the meantime. Atmosphere is cozy, but we prefer to come in a bit odd hours when it's not full. If you are coming by car, well, this is NYC.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 21, 2019 via mobile

We had tried Serbian food in different cities in the US, and were looking forward to try Kafana during our visit in New York. We didn't have high expectations but at least decent tasty food. The portions were very small but pricey. We ordered the calf chowder (teleca corba). It was not creamy at all. It was water down and just one small piece of meat. Lepinja looked like a small thin piece of pita. Ground beef burger (Pljeskavica) was also very small. Overall taste was ok but not impressive. Having tried food in Serbia and having been to other Serbia restaurants in the US, we were disappointed with this restaurant.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed January 16, 2019

I love this place. It is such a find -- so intimate (yes, can get crowded, and that is loads of fun), funny and friendly staff, and delicious, deeply satisfying Balkan food. Yes, mostly meat. Yes, plenty of carbs. But really, delicious: cabbage rolls, veal stuffed with kale and cheese, or my favorite: chicken livers wrapped in bacon with lashings of red cabbage coleslaw.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed December 2, 2018

The space is cute but every inch is packed in tight. We had a very small table and the temperature was too warm for my taste.

The Serbian beer is good although could have been chilled more. The bread is very tasty, nice crust, and the pepper spread was good that goes with it. The celery root/beet salad was just ok - I didn't expect them both to be entirely uncooked though so I felt a little like a rabbit eating it. On the other hand, my spouse had the lamb shank and THAT was delicious, together with the mashed potatoes. Very very good. My conclusion was that, since it's very near, I will order that dish again as a TAKE OUT and enjoy it in the comfort of my home next time.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Average food quality and too high prices - not recommending! You can find better Serbian restaurants!

Date of visit: October 2018