“The ultimate in NYC experience”
Review of Spirit of New York

Spirit of New York
Book In Advance
More Info
$139.55*
and up
Bateaux New York Dinner Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us aboard Spirit of New York and Spirit of New Jersey for a fun mix of dining, dancing, entertainment and skyline views. Cruising the Hudson River year-round, Spirit has a variety of lunch, dinner, moonlight and holiday cruises like Mother's Day, plus dozens of themed cruises, to choose from.
Buffalo, New York
“The ultimate in NYC experience”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had the pleasure of going on this cruise the day before New Years Eve with 14 of my friends, and it was more than worth the cost. Every one likes to tour NYC and see all of the sites, but people forget just how large the city is. This experience gives you the chance to circle the city in all it's glory. You get pictures right in front of the brooklyn bridge and the statue of liberty in all it's glory. There is wonderful food and a great atmosphere.

Beyond the food and the sightseeing, it's the experience and the people aboard that make it an experience that you can't pass up. I may be 21 with many other 20 somethings that I came with. However, the experienced staff on the trip had all of us dancing and singing with men, women, and children ages 5-75. Many of my female friends tried a hand at ballroom dancing with a very spry old foreign man who made our night,

In the end, the people you bring with you, coupled with the people there, and the staff's ability to bring them together, is an unbelievable experience.

Mahwah, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“July 4 Fireworks Cruise: One (Star) if by Sea”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I'm writing this review because I did not see much out there on the New York City fireworks cruises. Spirit did seem to have good reviews on Yelp, but I strongly recommend avoiding their July 4 cruise at all costs.

We arrived and stood in a long line in the burning sun for 45 minutes. And we arrived late. Isn't the whole point of being on the boat to avoid waiting around on lines if watching from land?

We boarded and we had no table-- this despite paying $1300 for our party of 4. Here is the only positives: the crew deserves credit, as they worked to find us and several other forgotten guests tables. And there was a good selection of alcohol.

The food was "ok", but the real point is the fireworks, right? Well, the best viewing area was closed off to a private party (Nick Jonas had the entire top deck reserved... good for him and interesting for my daughter, but terrible for watching fireworks).

There was just such a small viewing area... and so instead of fighting for positioning on land, people were fighting for a view on the cramped boat. I felt bad for the kids on board as they couldn't see anything. Couple this with the fact that people went way over the top on the booze and everyone was holding i-pads in the air to record the fireworks and the experience was dreadful.

Plus, Spirit did not pipe in the accompanying music, which the fireworks are synchronized to, which was a disappointment (they stuck with DJ music).

There is so much more to write, but here is the bottom line on this major disappointment:

The boat has 5 levels, so it just isn't built to have everyone go up on deck all at once (especially when it is at maximum capacity and crowded everywhere).

If you want to take a fireworks cruise, save some money and actually see the fireworks by going on the Circle Line, Statue Cruises, or even better yet, a ferry boat. The ferry boat is built for it-- flat and a view of the sky for everyone with bench seating.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank DBV1
Cruises42, Manager at Spirit of New York, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello – A Spirit cruise should be an unforgettable way to celebrate July 4th and we apologize that your experience was so disappointing. We strive to create a memorable atmosphere for our guests and it’s clear we failed to do so on your cruise. We take customer feedback very seriously and would like to resolve the situation. I have sent you a private message so we can personally follow up with your issues.

Rebecca
London, United Kingdom
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Refreshing panoramic view of the Manhattan skylines and surrounding islands”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

What I liked: Delightful view of Long, GOvernor, Ellis and Staten Islands from the waters.
What I did not like: The lunch food is forgettable. The music was played to loudly.

1 Thank YubaPrincess
Nyc
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“The best birthday ever!!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

My hubby booked this cruise around the city on sat December 29, and it was absolutely great!!! The food, the music and, the staff was soo wonderful! I would do it again.

Warsaw, Poland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“New Year`s Eve cruise”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I came to New York with my family from Poland and we decided to spend a New Year`s Eve on a cruise on Hudson river .On the advert everything seemed so fabulous but in reality we were highly disappointed.
Some time ago we bought a lunch cruise and it was fantastic that`s why we wanted to spend that evening on a boat. It was a loss of money and time.
Price of this cruise was doubled, no dicount for kids /it should be any as kids don`t use open bar/, dinner like on regular cruise, desert served without any utencils, nobody asked us about coffee nor tea, waiter was below criticism, the same about dj. He played the disco music for youngsters ignoring the age of guests.
At the end - fireworks! The boat was turned front facing the Statue of Liberty so we couldn`t see the fireworks . May be it`s small loss as the fireworks were poor. If all the boats are asked to come near the Statue for fireworks you can expect sth spectacular. Nothing like that.
Summarizing: price too high, dinner very poor, no satisfaction. We have the sense of wasted evening . Moreover we took friends with us so I can say that I spoiled their evening as well.
I will never recommend such cruise for New Year`s Eve.
Joanna

1 Thank Joanna20142014
Cruises42, Manager at Spirit of New York, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hi Joanna,
Thanks for sharing your experience and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your cruise. We pride ourselves on creating an exceptional atmosphere onboard and our New Year’s Eve cruises are typically an unforgettable evening for our guests. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to continually improve our product.