W New York - Union Square
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
  • Fitness center
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$193
$135
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$152
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$187
$114
$365
$322
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$326
$271
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$250
$239
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
$167
$135
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$159
$120
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$100
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
1,561 results
All reviewsmega roomfront deskbliss productsgreat locationnew yorkwhole foodsby nyc standardsan upgradegreenwich villagegreat roomcorner roomlower manhattanhigh floordecent sizeupon checknyc hotelsubway station
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I stayed at the W with my husband and 14 month old for three days over a recent weekend. I used to live in NY and so was familiar with Union Square, and so selected the W because of its location, which is fantastic. In the area there are great restaurants of all price ranges, from Olives in the hotel lobby, to the food bar immediately next door, to the street vendors selling halal food and fruit. The staff was quite nice, friendly and very helpful. The hotel was modern and trendy like all the Ws. The bar seemed to be a happening spot. The rooms were quite large in comparison to the normal NYC hotel room. The bathroom was also sizable, the beds comfortable, and there is a DVD player and great I-pod docking station with a stereo that has good sound. I loved the Bliss Spa products in the hotel room and the apples and free coffee in reception. My complaints are as follows: a really dark hotel, trendy does not mean that it needs to be dark. We were on the 15th floor with a view to Park Ave South but it was still dark even with the curtains open. No cotton balls, shower caps, etc in the bathroom. They probably would have given it to me if i had asked but i didnt bother. Only one bath robe in the room, even though it is a double. For the first two days there was no garbage can in our bathroom, which was annoying. Again, if i had asked they probably would have brought one. It took them forever to bring us a crib for our daughter. These are nitpicky things, but overall we had a great stay and i like the hotel. My mom is going to stay there in july based on my recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I was very surprised how HUGE our room was. For a historical hotel, I really was expecting "cozy", but the room was huge, the bathroom was huge, it was great! Of course all W standards are there including the wonderful bed, very comfy after long days walking around New York. Great location close to shopping, restaurants and subway station. Looking for a cheap meal try the deli's on both sides of the hotel. The only thing I was disappointed by was the doormen, there wasn't enough of them, I think 9 times out of 10 no one opened the door or greeted us when entering the hotel. Front desk service was excellent. Highly recommend the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I wrote a long review in winter of last year, but having taken a trip to NYC this past week and stayed at the W Union Square again, I wanted to review it again to say it was just as great the second time. We were originally going for one night and had gotten a great rate, and decided to go down a day early. The hotel extended the great rate to us for the additional night as well, even at the very last minute. Once again, the staff was personable, helpful, and professional, and our two dogs were treated great as well. Having the dogs, I usually ask that our room not be cleaned since our dogs are older and someone being there would make them nervous. So when I travel at hotels I try to catch one of the maids to do a towel exchange, etc. At so many other hotels, when I do that I sometimes feel as though they are nickel and diming me like, "So you are giving me two bath towels back, three glasses, and you need just shampoo?" At the W, the maids just brought me a whole new set of towels and amenities, without trying to do an "even exchange". I actually had way too many towels and left the unused ones on the bench, but I'm sure they probably had to wash them all again, but they weren't concerned. It was so nice that they just make that so easy and smooth.

The only hard part with having our dogs (and this has nothing to do with the hotel) is that Union Square park is really busy in the summer, and so it wasn't great to take them there during the day. (The park has a dog run but my dogs being older don't do well with other dogs). So we did find a much smaller area that had some trees about three blocks away. I think it's a challenge in any park in NYC (except Central Park) where the dogs aren't really allowed on the grass. My country dogs had to get used to being city dogs for a couple days, which was an adjustment! :)

It was fun to see all the vendors lined up in Union Square Park this time of the year, and again, the W was just a perfect hotel for luxurious comfort, style, and attentive staff. I recommend it now to everyone!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Most hotels in Union Square are out of budget for our travels to NYC.
When the "W" offered a Pay-2,Stay-3 discount, we jumped. Union Square is such a fun area - with open-air markets all year round; Whole Foods, DSW, and tons of great, affordable dining. This hotel is casual but sophisticated, the staff was phenomenal, and the room was elegant and enormous by NYC standards. Beds get A+ for comfort and for beauty. The bathroom was OK. Sink had adequate storage beneath, and superb amenities, including plenty of towels. The shower gets a solid "B": awesome water pressure and shower head, and it drained like a champ - but the stupid polyester shower curtain wants to cling to the occupant. Yuk. Can't wait until they have another 3-for-2 offering. We'll go back. Maybe by then they'll have installed arc shower rods!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Staff not very friendly it was like they treated you as you were not good enough to stay there. Rooms tiny no room for suit case. Rooms tiny for New York standard. A big TV at the end of the bed which give you a headache as too big for the room. bathroom was tiny too small to get dressed in there. My friends room they could not even walk past the end of the bed no room and the bathroom door was hanging off. Overpriced for what you got. bad location. better at the wellington hotel which has a better location, prcie , frienlt and good room size. We were only at the W 1 night then went to the Wellington I am so glad we did not choose the W for the whole stay very disappointing as being part of the Sheriton group. It had trouble calling out in my room so I rang the front desk they saidf I do not know what is wrong and hang up. I went to my friends room and used there phone which was ok. they do not even have a public phone in the foyer you have to walk down the street.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple