“Very enjoyable stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Very enjoyable stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

Arrived just after noon on Friday, having booked two 'Fabulous Rooms' for four nights. Was happy to hear one was already made up so we could drop off our bags, change clothes and get our and enjoy the day. Got back a couple of hours later and got the key to the other room. Both rooms were bright, spacious, nicely furnished with very good bathrooms, good TV's comfortable beds and great views of Union Square and lower Manhattan.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. We loved the location as it was a short walk to many restaurants, shopping, parks and sights. Would definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly be back next time we come to New York.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patrick0027
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Hello Patrick,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us. If I can be of any assistance on a future visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Director of the Welcome Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

Look, this hotel isn't lame. However, people are selling it as one of the most amazing in New York. It's not. It's fine. The location is the best part. The hotel is clean but the rooms are ok. It ain't a St. Regis or the Chatwal. The best thing about it is the proximity. Don't expect the hippest or most pristine. It's just alright.

Room Tip: It goes without saying, the higher you are the quieter it is.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank shadabing
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Hello Shadabing,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit with us. I am sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations. Please contact me before your next visit, so I can put a personal touch on your reservation. I look forward to hearing from you.
Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com
Director of Welcome Office
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

I recently stayed 4 nights at this hotel. This was my second stay there and it is now my default option when visiting friends in NYC.

The staff in general are very warm and hospitable but in particular Gerald and Tanya were extremely welcoming and ensured that my stay was perfect.

As an SPG Gold Member there are numerous options (including 2 other W's in Manhattan) in and around NYC but I would recommend this one above all to everyone.

Pro's:
-large (for NYC) and very well maintained rooms
-great location
-receptive and friendly staff

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Union Square
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank H G
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Hello H G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to your return.
Gerald
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

Fantastic location near Union Square, I especially love the farmers markets on the weekend. This is a modern hotel - we had a very nicely appointed room that was very clean and new. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The price was reasonable for the location and quality (at least wrt NYC prices). There was some street noise, but not excessive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you loved the room and your stay with us. I hope you had the opportunity to dine at our new 201 Restaurant and Bar. I look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

Although I hadn't stayed at this particular W in over 10 years, I was very pleasantly surprised by how hip and modern it still was. The rooms were well apportioned and sized and the overall attention and service were excellent!

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor facing either Park Ave or 17th St.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Gerry,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. I am glad after a decade of not joining us you found our hotel to still be up to your expectations. I look forward to your return. Please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com on your next trip!
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

As a long time W Loyalist, I always enjoy staying at a property I've yet to visit. After a horrible experience at the W City Centre in Chicago, I must admit I was a tad skeptical about the W Union Square in NYC.

PROS //
Great, central location (close to everything)
Nice, welcoming lobby and front desk staff
Good sized, well-appointed room (Wunderful) and not too cramped
Great onsite restaurant and in-room dining menu

CONS //
Concierge staff were lazy + inattentive to guest requests
Door / Bellman staff unfriendly, unwelcoming (no offer to assist with bags, open doors, hail cabs, etc)
Loud through the night (my wife couldn't sleep as all she could hear was horns honking and sirens from ambulances and fire trucks).. par for the course in NYC? Perhaps supplying earplugs in the room should be standard at this property?

Overall a nice NYC hotel but definitely not the best available in the area. I would probably try out another hotel on my next visit to NYC instead of returning to the W Union Square. Nothing extraordinary made me want to return to this property.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs. NYC never sleeps and New Yorkers love their car horns!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PassionDrivesSuccess
Hello Passiondrivessuccess,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback and concerns. I will share your comments with the members of my team. I hope when you return you notice a difference in the level of service. If I can be of any assistance on a future visit please reach out to me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com
Director of Welcome Office
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Currently staying in room 311. Decent space. Problem was when I trusted Kwame the bellman that their new chef was really good. Got to the hotel around midnight and was starving. Saw the Penne Arrabiata and got the taste buds going. Made the order. What showed up was Olive Garden style penne...looked like basic penne and sauce...no chillies, no olive oil, no tomatoes. Terrible. Also missing the complementary water for SPG Platinums...the tag that goes on the bottle was there, but no actual bottle (see pictures)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AliLila
Hello AliLilia,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconsistency you encountered during your visit. It is feedback like yours that keeps our team striving to provide excellent guest services. Please reach out to me directly should you need assistance with a future visit.
Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com