“Top of the line service!”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #144 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brooklyn, New York
“Top of the line service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I brought my girlfriend here for her birthday and for a night out. Upon entering the hotel we were checked in by a girl named Stella who happened to be incredible nice and personable. So much so, that both my girlfriend and I immediately began liking this hotel. After we checked in I met one of the managers named Marc. He was incredibly professional and so welcoming that I was really impressed! I told him that it was my girlfriend's birthday and he wished her a happy birthday. The room was excellent, featuring 3 huge windows with South and East exposure and it was very clean which is important to us. After, returning to the hotel later in the day, we entered our room and there were a plate of cupcakes and chocolates and a birthday card! The card was signed by the GM of the building I believe named Bill. Obviously, Marc had something to do with this. I have been to a lot of hotels and I definitely know service as I am a real estate broker and heavily involved in service. However, this hotel really knows how to pick and train their staff. Stella and Marc really made us feel welcomed, it was incredible. Thank you very much! We will definitely be back here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Hello Geoff,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and hotel. I will share your wonderful comments with both Stella and Marc. I am glad they were able to make your girlfriend feel special on her day. If I can be of any assistance to you on a future stay please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your next visit.
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I used to live in Hoboken NJ, right across the river from Manhattan. We try to get to NYC a couple times per year. This was our first time at the Union Square W Hotel, and had a really nice experience. First, the location was excellent and very centrally located. Furthermore, from the doorman to the front desk people to everyone else, they were very accommodating.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello Paul,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with all of us. I am glad you had the opportunity to stay with us. I will share your wonderful comments with the doormen and our welcome desk teams. They always appreciate the kind comments from our guests. If I can be of any assistance on a future stay please just let me know. You can contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. We look forward to your return.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I love this hotel in the Union Square neihborhood. The rooms and views are wonderful and the service is excellent. Outside the hotel are great restaurants, yoga, spin classes and shopping including a farmers market. The location is not as touristy as time square.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Hello Jbl44,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed the view from your room and our hotel. I will share your wonderful comments with our team. I know they always like to hear these types of commets from our guests. If I can be of any assistance on a future stay with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location, with easy access to the metro. The rooms are of a good size giving plenty of space. The air conditioning was excellent considering the temperatures outside. Great bar and restaurant.
I certainly will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Edward,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with all of us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at W New York Union Square. If I can be of any assistance on any future booking please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week in W Union Square. Room was of fair size and relatively modern. Isn't ideal for a business stay as I had less hangers in the room than shirts. The fitness centre is small and poorly equipped. It's in the basement and if you are a basketball player you'd have trouble to work out on the treadmills as the ceiling is so low.
Staff at the front desk and the concierge were very professional, however the same cannot be said of the doormen. First I was in serious doubt whether they belong to the hotel at all.
Location is excellent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello dmsdi,
Thank you for your review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback and concerns as it often pinpoints areas of needed improvement. I will share your thoughts on our fitness center and guest amenities. We can always deliver more hangers to your guest room. If I can be of any assistance on any upcoming stay please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I'm not one to write many reviews, but after staying at the W Union Square for the last ten years at least 3-4 times a year, I thought it was time I shared my wonderful experiences with this hotel. First, the wonderful:

- The STAFF. The doormen always remember us and are so pleasant and helpful and just nice welcoming guys. The front desk staff is always accomodating, Wherever/Whenever is great, and checking in, asking for additional amenties etc. is always easy. Marc Rafeld, now part of the management team at the W in Union Square is fantastic. I can't say enough great things about how he has treated my family, especially for my recent anniversary. We go to NY for all of our big celebrations, as we got engaged and ended our honeymoon there, and Marc has just made everything that much better. Hopefully his managers appreciate the caliber of employee they have.

LOCATION: I'm not a fan of mid-town Times Square craziness. I love this location. Restaurants in the area are wonderful, your'e a quick walk to Soho, Chinatown, LES, Downtown, Grand Central. The Location has it all.

Rooms: Nice rooms, recently re-furbished and good size by NY standards.

Now for the good vs. Wonderful: The price. Rooms are on the expensive side, but deals can be found.

Beyond that I have no negatives to add. Any time I have ever had an issue in the tens of times we've stayed there it's been resolved. Marc, the front door staff, the welcome desk are all great.

We look forward to coming back for a getaway in the next month or so. -

Room Tip: Higher floors tend to be quieter but elevators can be a bit slow, especially during busy times.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Sherri,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to hear such raving reviews on the hotel and our teams. I am glad they made you feel right at home when you choose to stay here on your special occasions. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. I would have to agree with you, Marc Rafeld is a a great addition to our managment team. Thank you for recognizing him. I know he always goes above and beyond for our guests. We look forward to your next visit.
Director of Welcome Office
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed a long weekend at the W Union Square. The room was a wonderful surprise - so much bigger and more comfortable than other New York hotels we'd used in the past. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. A great location for exploring the city. Well placed for the subway. Easy walking distance to SoHo. We'll definitely be back

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Debbie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The W Bed and pillows are my favorite! I actually am guilty of having my own at home. We appreciate your kind comments on our hotel and its location. If I can be of any assistance on a future stay please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.