“Great Location and Great Service”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #142 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Location and Great Service”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I love this hotel in the Union Square neihborhood. The rooms and views are wonderful and the service is excellent. Outside the hotel are great restaurants, yoga, spin classes and shopping including a farmers market. The location is not as touristy as time square.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Hello Jbl44,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed the view from your room and our hotel. I will share your wonderful comments with our team. I know they always like to hear these types of commets from our guests. If I can be of any assistance on a future stay with us please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location, with easy access to the metro. The rooms are of a good size giving plenty of space. The air conditioning was excellent considering the temperatures outside. Great bar and restaurant.
I certainly will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Edward,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with all of us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at W New York Union Square. If I can be of any assistance on any future booking please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week in W Union Square. Room was of fair size and relatively modern. Isn't ideal for a business stay as I had less hangers in the room than shirts. The fitness centre is small and poorly equipped. It's in the basement and if you are a basketball player you'd have trouble to work out on the treadmills as the ceiling is so low.
Staff at the front desk and the concierge were very professional, however the same cannot be said of the doormen. First I was in serious doubt whether they belong to the hotel at all.
Location is excellent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello dmsdi,
Thank you for your review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback and concerns as it often pinpoints areas of needed improvement. I will share your thoughts on our fitness center and guest amenities. We can always deliver more hangers to your guest room. If I can be of any assistance on any upcoming stay please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I'm not one to write many reviews, but after staying at the W Union Square for the last ten years at least 3-4 times a year, I thought it was time I shared my wonderful experiences with this hotel. First, the wonderful:

- The STAFF. The doormen always remember us and are so pleasant and helpful and just nice welcoming guys. The front desk staff is always accomodating, Wherever/Whenever is great, and checking in, asking for additional amenties etc. is always easy. Marc Rafeld, now part of the management team at the W in Union Square is fantastic. I can't say enough great things about how he has treated my family, especially for my recent anniversary. We go to NY for all of our big celebrations, as we got engaged and ended our honeymoon there, and Marc has just made everything that much better. Hopefully his managers appreciate the caliber of employee they have.

LOCATION: I'm not a fan of mid-town Times Square craziness. I love this location. Restaurants in the area are wonderful, your'e a quick walk to Soho, Chinatown, LES, Downtown, Grand Central. The Location has it all.

Rooms: Nice rooms, recently re-furbished and good size by NY standards.

Now for the good vs. Wonderful: The price. Rooms are on the expensive side, but deals can be found.

Beyond that I have no negatives to add. Any time I have ever had an issue in the tens of times we've stayed there it's been resolved. Marc, the front door staff, the welcome desk are all great.

We look forward to coming back for a getaway in the next month or so. -

Room Tip: Higher floors tend to be quieter but elevators can be a bit slow, especially during busy times.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Sherri,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to hear such raving reviews on the hotel and our teams. I am glad they made you feel right at home when you choose to stay here on your special occasions. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. I would have to agree with you, Marc Rafeld is a a great addition to our managment team. Thank you for recognizing him. I know he always goes above and beyond for our guests. We look forward to your next visit.
Director of Welcome Office
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed a long weekend at the W Union Square. The room was a wonderful surprise - so much bigger and more comfortable than other New York hotels we'd used in the past. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. A great location for exploring the city. Well placed for the subway. Easy walking distance to SoHo. We'll definitely be back

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Debbie,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The W Bed and pillows are my favorite! I actually am guilty of having my own at home. We appreciate your kind comments on our hotel and its location. If I can be of any assistance on a future stay please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is my family's favourite Starwood Hotel. This W is centrally located in Manhattan, across the street from the L, NQR, and 456 subway lines. While the location is great, the crowds can be a negative for some people. Union Square gets very crowded with locals and tourists.

As a Platinum SPG member, I have never been upgraded at this hotel. I am not sure if it's because their higher room types are always booked or they do not upgrade. Their renovation of the Living Room to include graffiti lamps and furniture is not exactly my taste, but it still seems popular with the locals who come for after-work drinks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cmarsicek
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at the W on Union Square for Christmas 2013 and found it to be a good hotel with friendly staff and large comfortable rooms. We were on the 9th floor in a king room which had been recently refurbished. The bed seemed huge and was very comfortable and the overall room was nicely decorated and a really pleasant place to stay.

We didn't use a lot of the hotel facilities as our kids had an apartment on the other side of Union Square but it was a great place to retreat to at night.

The Union Square location was also great with the Christmas Markets, shops and subway access which meant we were never that far from anywhere.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor on E 17th street and it was very noisy on the Friday night when it seemed t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family