“Great Long Weekend Getaway”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #140 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Long Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Great location, close to subway, shops and endless restaurants. Stayed in a mega room which had plenty of space and comfort. Staff attentive especially the doormen! Pretty pricey but it IS NYC. Would stay again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hello John - Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! Our team love surfing Tripadvisor and reading all the valuable feedback, especially when it recognizes their attention to detail and passion for our guests. We hope you will come back and visit us soon. In the meantime, have a great holiday season! Gerald (gerald.tellez@whotels.com)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Helsinki
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Spent two nights here in November. Rooms have been refurbished and are comfortable and clean. Excellent bed and good bathroom. I was on the 17th floor at the back of the hotel but it was very noisy at night. Sirens and street noise woke me on several occasions as did the bathroom of a neighbouring room.

I had been here ten years ago when the lobby was very much a place to be seen. The hotel has been renovated since then and it is certainly no longer the fashionable place it once was. Lots of families here for shopping.

Location is great for shopping and easy walk to Greenwich Village and SoHo.

Best thing about the place was the staff. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming. Very personalised check-in and check-out.

Bottom line is it's a good place if you get the right price but for 400 dollars a night, I'd be tempted to look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hello Skotti - Thank you for complimenting our service and welcome team! We apologize that external noise interrupted your rest. There is nothing more important to us then ensuring our guests enjoy a comfortable night's sleep. Please reach out to if you are returning, it would be my pleasure to upgrade you to a room with minimal external noise. All the best, Gerald (gerald.tellez@whotels.com)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I've stayed at this W location a few times over the year. I love its location - it's fairly central with lots of great stuff nearby either walking or biking (CitiBikes!) distance. Plus, it's away from the madness that is Times Square.

I do think this W is lacking on the service side. I felt that staff in the lobby weren't that friendly. For example, it bugged me that no one was there to grab the door as they say me approaching, lugging my suitcase, in the rain!

The rooms I've stayed in have been on the larger side, especially by New York standards. Although based on the other reviews I've read, I might have just picked the right room at booking.

The rooms are clean on the surface, but try not to look too deep because you're bound to find flaws. With all my stays, I've encountered open candy wrappers under the bed and dirty bathroom mirrors. Relatively minor, but you also try not to think too much into it (I mean, if they missed that, what else have they missed...).

Given the option, I'd chose another hotel option in NY (to be honest, I've found a new favorite in town anyways). This place just doesn't match my W/SPG expectations.

If you ended up staying there too for whatever reason, it's not the end of the world either. Like I said, I do love the location. And while service could be friendlier, you're not spending your timing socializing in the lobby. And if there's something dirty in your room, call housekeeping to address it (everything I've seen was manageable).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hello - So glad that you love our location and all it has to offer. We very much appreciate your valuable feedback with regards to service and deep cleaning. If you are returning to NYC do not hesitate to let me know. It would be my pleasure to ensure you are allocated a room that exceeds your expectations. All the best, Gerald (gerald.tellez@whotels.com)
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This W Hotel staff here is Awesome! My second trip here this year. Both times I was impressed how well the staff has been trained. Courteous, Friendly and Helpful. Way Above and Beyond the expected level! Great bar area with WIFI. Rooms are bigger than I would expect in NYC. I won't stay anywhere else when I come to NYC!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve S
Hello Steve - Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! Our team love surfing Tripadvisor and reading all the valuable feedback, especially when it recognizes their attention to detail and passion for our guests. We hope you will come back and visit us soon. In the meantime, have a great holiday season! Gerald
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have been coming to NYC yearly now for almost 20 years, the last 10 times I have stayed at the W Union Square. The location is the best as far as I am concerned. There is a wonderful Farmer's Market in the square every Friday and Saturday morning that is fun to stroll through before you start your day. Keith, the doorman is such a delight to see each time my taxi pulls up. The hotel recently updated their rooms with new bedding and paint and carpet. Their beds are just as described, WONDERFUL & HEAVENLY! I never want to get out of bed!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1102 this past time and the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cindy32461
Hello Cindy - Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! Keith is indeed an asset to our Hotel and was excited to read your feedback about him! We hope you will come back and visit us soon. In the meantime, have a great holiday season! Gerald (gerald.tellez@whotels.com)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had a Fantastic Suite on a December weekend and it was a great stay. The room was extremely clean and had a very large bathroom for NYC. The small living room area was also very handy. We had one small issue with a minor leak and Gerald the manager handled very quickly and efficiently. We stayed on the 5th floor and there is some road noise and would probably try for a higher floor room next time. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jason - Thank you so much for your positive feedback! Glad you enjoyed one of our Fantastic Suites. It would be my pleasure to allocate you a room on a higher floor when you next visit. Please reach out to me at your convenience. All the best, Gerald (gerald.tellez@whotels.com)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is one of the nice W hotels in NYC, great lobby and bar for mingling and drinks. Rooms are updated and modern and large by NYC standards. Bliss spa amenities are awesome, save me having to bring my own products. Located right at the square, convenient short walk to lots of great food, shopping and movie theaters. Subway station hub, so you can catch pretty much any lines to access other parts of NYC. But hotel can be pricey but would definitely stay here again if I want to be downtown. Other hotel in starwood chain that I love in NYC is the Parker Meridien if I want to be closer to Central Park or uptown. Was here on a conference, come in early to spend the weekend playing tourist.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and complimenting our rooms, bar and Bliss amenities! We are so lucky to have a prime location on Union Square and love that our guests can enjoy all it has to offer. Please reach out to me if I can assist you with a future reservation. All the best, Gerald (gerald.tellez@whotels.com)