-Awesome location in Union Square (there is a whole foods there, park, farmers' market, great massage place, and subway - all steps away)
-Good sized rooms. Spacious, and clean.
-Option for scent free/hypoallergenic room (down free pillows too - good thing to request as it is pretty cruel for the animals)
-complimentary umbrellas (unfortunately 3 out of the 4 days were literal downpours, so the umbrellas really came in handy, plus they are huge, good to fend off anyone if needed)
Not so Good things:
-No access to in room movies (this really sucked after a long day of sightseeing in the rain, we wanted a quiet night in, but the 'system' was apparently not working)
-TV broke twice! (repair man came, really nice can't remember his name but his accent was strong either from queens or the bronx. regardless, we had to change rooms!)
-The compensation offered was not really offered (We were told that we would get 2 free movies by the front desk, and had to really argue it with the front desk, then escalate it with a manager at check out)
-Front lobby sprays scent out like some old lady's perfume (regardless it smelled bad, it is also toxic chemicals, these are not organic essential oils here, so not good for anyone's health! It really is not needed. A routinely cleaned and well maintained lobby that has air flow is all that is needed.)
-Loud Club music in the elevators (bit awkward for anyone other than the 20 something clubber, makes me wonder what kind of image hotel is looking for, and who exactly are they trying to cater to. This did make me nervous staying here as i was expecting a party hotel. Apparently it was only a party in the elevators for the clubbers. Everyone else just had to grin and bear it. Personally some neutral jazz or relaxed lounge music or such would make the image of the hotel seem 'classier' not so cheap, and cater can any crowd. Something to think about, image is important.)
- Air conditioning on our floor was stuck at super freezing (despite our repeated attempts to have it changed to the rest of the hotel, it was a daily/nightly quick dash to the hotel room door off/on the elevator).
- Extremely long check out (we're talking about close to an hr! Not sure what happened, there were people there, but not that many, plus the front desk wanted to charge us for the movies again, and had to wait for a manager to finish talking about the following week's schedule (yep i overheard), which made us miss our breakfast. After some frustrating interactions, we finally got her to spot us for a $10 cab to get us to the restaurant for take out before we went to the airport. disappointing yes, resolved, somewhat).
Would i stay there again? I don't know honestly. Does the location outweigh everything else? I'm still undecided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ringed by the essential: shopping, music, and art; the W New York Union Square's landmark 1911 beaux arts Guardian Life building, re-invented by David Rockwell, has the city at its fingertips. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Splitty, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your W New York - Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w New York - Union Square Hotel New York City
- w New York City
- w Hotel Union Square
- w Hotels Union Square
- w Union Square