“A somewhat cloudy experience”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #163 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Good things:
-Awesome location in Union Square (there is a whole foods there, park, farmers' market, great massage place, and subway - all steps away)
-Good sized rooms. Spacious, and clean.
-Option for scent free/hypoallergenic room (down free pillows too - good thing to request as it is pretty cruel for the animals)
-complimentary umbrellas (unfortunately 3 out of the 4 days were literal downpours, so the umbrellas really came in handy, plus they are huge, good to fend off anyone if needed)

Not so Good things:
-No access to in room movies (this really sucked after a long day of sightseeing in the rain, we wanted a quiet night in, but the 'system' was apparently not working)
-TV broke twice! (repair man came, really nice can't remember his name but his accent was strong either from queens or the bronx. regardless, we had to change rooms!)
-The compensation offered was not really offered (We were told that we would get 2 free movies by the front desk, and had to really argue it with the front desk, then escalate it with a manager at check out)
-Front lobby sprays scent out like some old lady's perfume (regardless it smelled bad, it is also toxic chemicals, these are not organic essential oils here, so not good for anyone's health! It really is not needed. A routinely cleaned and well maintained lobby that has air flow is all that is needed.)
-Loud Club music in the elevators (bit awkward for anyone other than the 20 something clubber, makes me wonder what kind of image hotel is looking for, and who exactly are they trying to cater to. This did make me nervous staying here as i was expecting a party hotel. Apparently it was only a party in the elevators for the clubbers. Everyone else just had to grin and bear it. Personally some neutral jazz or relaxed lounge music or such would make the image of the hotel seem 'classier' not so cheap, and cater can any crowd. Something to think about, image is important.)
- Air conditioning on our floor was stuck at super freezing (despite our repeated attempts to have it changed to the rest of the hotel, it was a daily/nightly quick dash to the hotel room door off/on the elevator).
- Extremely long check out (we're talking about close to an hr! Not sure what happened, there were people there, but not that many, plus the front desk wanted to charge us for the movies again, and had to wait for a manager to finish talking about the following week's schedule (yep i overheard), which made us miss our breakfast. After some frustrating interactions, we finally got her to spot us for a $10 cab to get us to the restaurant for take out before we went to the airport. disappointing yes, resolved, somewhat).

Would i stay there again? I don't know honestly. Does the location outweigh everything else? I'm still undecided.

Room Tip: Ask for hypoallergenic room with down-free pillows. Higher floors corner rooms have excellent views
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SoleilVert
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Hello Soleilvert,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at W New York Union Square. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback as it often times pinpoints areas of needed attention. Our cable television does have some issues when New York City faces a storm or downpour. We are in the process of reviewing our service provider to ensure we get complete guest satisfaction during any weather condition. As for having to "fight" at check out for what was promised to you is simply unacceptable. I will definitely follow up with the responsible parties. Once again I apologize for the bumpy experience you had and I appreciate you bringing ths to our attention. It is feedback like yours that help us in improving our level of service. I hope you will see a difference on your next stay with us. Should business or leisure bring you back to the Big Apple, I truly hope you can give W New York Union Square another opportunity. I will personally promise a much better experience. Please contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I wanted to express our thanks and gratitude to the W Hotel
on Union Square for a wonderful stay 6/30-7/5.

After a very bumpy SWA flight and a 70mph taxi ride from Newark Airport through the Lincoln Tunnel around midnight it was nice to walk into such a relaxing, friendly and beautiful hotel. We were greeted by the graveyard shift bell person and welcomed by your front desk staff as if we were old friends. Check in was fast and efficient. We were signed up as SPG members too!

The rooms we had were spectacular and we appreciated the sweets placed in the room prior to our arrival. I thought the personalized notes we received throughout our stay were a very nice touch. Later in our stay we even received a personalized note from a local girl named Sofie that the front desk printed for her to be put under our door, thanking us for contacting her to stop by the hotel front desk to pickup her smart phone we found on the ground in the subway at Union Square. I'm sure she was impressed by the hotel front desk staff as well. My spouse also forgot her work blackberry charger and the front desk charged this phone for her just about every night while we were out to dinner.

Throughout our week long stay the housekeeping department did a fantastic job in making our rooms look perfect every day. We had my teenage daughters in one of our room so I'm sure that room was a daily challenge.

During our stay every encounter at the front desk was always handled by attentive and caring staff. I also wanted to thank Jose at the front door and Aisha/George at the concierge desk for assisting me with detailed suggestions of how best to use every minute of our time in NYC. These folks are true professionals and enjoy there jobs as does everyone on your staff we encountered in the W Hotel!! I have been a Guest Services Manager, Concierge, Bell Captain (including the Grand Hyatt New York) for over 30 years now and know this is not always the case.

Even when I was questioned by hotel security, and asked "What Are You Doing?" by a gentleman from your security staff, it was handled in a very considerate manner! I better explain!........

I happen to like a music group called "The Kills" and your house music featured them from time to time so one day while waiting for my family to come to the lobby I decided to "film" this music coming out of the elevator speaker to document this (I'm from "Music City"..we do strange things like this!) and when I stepped off the elevator I was met by a large gentlemen who is obviously on top of things in your hotel and cares about keeping your hotel and it's guests/staff safe. When I explained, he smiled, said he understood and I thanked him for being there watching out for questionable actions like the one I just did! I do have his voice on that video clip which is the name the clip now! "What Are You Doing!"....I'll send him residuals if it makes any money anywhere. Kidding, it's for personal use...I'm one of the few folks from Nashville that is NOT involved in the music industry. I'm just a fan.

The fruit bowls placed in our rooms the night before our departure were wonderful and so appreciated!
Checkout went smoothly, the bell person arranged two taxis at departure, one going local to Brooklyn for my daughter who attends classes at The New School and another taxi for us to go back to Newark. We only went 50mph through the Lincoln Tunnel on the way back to Newark Airport and had a smooth, on time flight on SWA back to Nashville where we will suggest everyone we know traveling to NYC to consider staying at the W Hotel on Union Square.

Take Care!

Nolan Pittman
Nashville, TN

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nolan p

Welcome Nolan P,
Thank you so much or such a raving review on W New York Union Square. My team and I really appreciates all of your kind comments on our location, hotel, and most important how our staff made you feel. I will personally thank our Moonlight crew and Aisha, George, and Jose for the wonderful service and making you feel right at home! We look forward to your next visit to W New York Union Square. Should you need anything on any future bookings please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
Warm Wishes,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The W NY Union Square is a beautiful landmark hotel at a great location & is one of our favorite hotels in the city..The rooms are big and clean , the bed very comfortable, the staff couldn't be nicer and knowledgeable.. We visited before and every time we come it's better & better, this time we got a beautiful corner suite on the 15th fl.- thanks to Eduardo R.at the front desk- that made our visit this time more special..
Highly recomend it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors overlooking the Park..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Well Hello There Robokrugie,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay with all of us. We always love to read such wonderful reviews on our hotel and staff. Eddie from our Welcome Desk always goes above and beyond with every guest and makes them feel right at home. I am glad you a wonderful time at your new home away fom home in Manattan!! Should you need anything in the future for any reservations please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
We look forward to your next W Union Square experience.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Things got off to a slightly bad start as we didn't realize the reservation only indicated a "preference" for two beds, rather than an actual reservation for two beds. The booking information could have been clearer, and the desk person a little nicer about it. However, after that point everyone we dealt with at the hotel, from the door people, everyone else at the front desk, to the room cleaner, were really friendly and nice. The location is hard to beat - convenient to everywhere we wanted to go, and great people watching on the square. The room itself was larger than I was expecting given my experience with other hotels in NY, and I liked the decor. The bed was very comfortable, and big enough for two non-involved people to share without feeling crowded. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Hello ATMoore,
Thank you do much for taking the time to write and share your experience with all of us. We always appreciate all of our guests feedback. I am very sorry about any miscommunication about the room type you requested and booked. I hope a member of my team was able to make you and your family feel comfortable and offer you options of accommodations. Should you need any assistance with any future bookings at my hotel please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@Whotels.com. I look forward to your next visit. Sincerely,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Never stayed in this area before . loved it very convenient to what we like to do the staff was great . the room was well done, the bar jumping and Olives was terrific for breakfast and small plates great view of new world trade center

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Welcome Barelle78,
Thank you so much for your kind review of W New York Union Square. We appreciate all of our guests feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. I will share your comments with my team. Should you need any assistance on any future stays with us please reach out to me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had an early morning business meeting in the midtown area and decided to try the W Union Square. I have stayed at other Ws across the country and have always enjoyed their energy and fun locations. As is becoming all too customary, my flight arrived several hours late the night before. As a result, I showed up at the hotel tired, frustrated and admittedly a bit ornery. I was so grateful to have encountered one of the most pleasant, thoughtful, sincere and caring front desk professionals in all my travels. I do over 100 nights a year in hotels, and Symone at the front desk was perhaps the best I have ever encountered. How someone musters up a pleasant smile and positive attitude at 2am is beyond me. She greeted me with a sympathetic smile, as if she knew what my day had been like. She knew how to handle my room request and particular needs. She was knowledgable about the hotel, and creative about how to meet my needs. She changed a nightmare of a day into a very pleasant evening. The hotel was great, but the front desk was phenomenal!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Welcome Lolaleelou,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is such a pleasure to read about a member of my team. I will definately share these comments with my team. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Theres few W Hotels in New York City. I stayed at the one in Times Square and I preferred the location of that one but the rooms are very boring. For the price you pay, I expected a view, I expected something special ! At the one in Times Square, the rooms are most stylish and you have the views of Times Square. My room was nothing special and was facing a wall. But, the offered me the wi-fi in the room ( it was about time someome recognized people need the wi-fi in their rooms...especially at that price per night ! ) but location is amazing, we walked everywhere. Most popular restaurants are around the corner and Lilium is in the basement of the hotel... very cool ! We found it by mistake but we had a blast. Some very cool features about that hotel... but the rooms are very boring.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Welcome Catherine514,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your concerns with us. We always appreciate it when our guests write a review on our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your first stay at W New York Union Square. Our location is what sets this smaller boutique hotel apart from the rest of our sister properties. On your next visit plese reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com so I can ensure you get a nice room with a fabulous view.
We look forward to your return.