“Service still excellent, Property showing wear”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #156 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm surprised I had the issues I had. It was a cold weekend in NY, and the room I was in had a defective window that let the air in. After speaking to the front desk, they sent engineering up and they realized the window needs to be replaced; they duct taped it and went on their way. The air was still leaking in, so the front desk decided to send up a heater. By 3am, it was finally warm. 3am. And when speaking with the manager the next morning, I was only offered 5,000 starwood points to make up for a poor evening. When asked how many points it costs to stay there, it was 25,000. So I have to pay $400 to stay in a cold room and to make up for it, get 1/5 of the points to repeat the experience?
I'm disappointed with the situation and will not be staying at this W moving forward.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 516.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Hello Shivaswrath,
I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at W New York Union Square. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all of our guests feedback. Reading through your review, I can clearly see the reason for your dissappointment and can only reassure you that I would have felt the same. We have taken steps to ensure similar inconveniences do not occur in the future. I am pleased to hear that otherwise the level of service you experienced was excellent. I have shared your review with our Executive Team. Should leisure or business bring you back to the Big Apple, I truly hope you can give W New York Union Square another oppotunity. Please feel free to reach out to me at Gerald.Tellez@Whotels.com when you do plan on visiting us again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Love staying at the W Union Square - I try to stay there every time I'm in NYC - which is pretty frequently! The rooms are awesome. Love the bar and the food at Olives is fantastic. Free coffee in the morning, great workout room and an overall amazing experience every time I'm there.

Room Tip: Try to get a Mega room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hello DawnLosAngeles,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with all of us. It is nice to read such a great review on our hotel. We look forward to your next W Union Square experience.
Warmest Wishes,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The W is truly a very modern and friendly place. The lobby is small, but houses a very well designed lounge, with vintage type writers and chess boards. The rooms are very modern, and quite big! The staff was great, they had also gven us an upgrade with a great view. The chocolates under the pillows are delicious. The bathrooms are great, and house nice bath products. Doorman was nice, and so were the reception desk. Good stay

Room Tip: views of union square
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Welcome afljdsajlkdsljkfdsa,
Thank you so much for your kind review on W New York Union Square. We truly appreciate your nice words. I will share these comments with my team. We look forward to your next W experience.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Only stayed one night - first time at this hotel. I was pleased with the size of my room....I have been in hotel rooms in NYC that were basically an oversized closet with a bathroom attached. Room was clean, nice amenities, bed very comfortable. Nice location, right at Union Square. No complaints. Would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Well Hello There BuffyMonsoon,
Thank you so much for your nice review on W New York Union Square. It is really nice to hear such raving reviews from our guests. I will share the great comments with my teams. We look forward to your next visit.
Warmest Wishes,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

What a fantastic weekend at the W! Everyone was very pleasant and happy to help me. More so than I have seen in most hotels of this caliber.
The concierge(Joseph) and Michael(Beverage) were both very helpful on all of my questions. I would highly recommend this hotel. I was really treated like a guest and not a number. If you want to feel at home in a large hotel, stay at the W, Union Square.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Hello Movieman94025,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. We appreciate all of our guests feedback. I will share your wonderful comments with both our concierge and our Beverage & Food teams. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great hotel, in excellent location just off Union Square. Stayed on business in lovely modern room. Room wasn't huge but quality throughout and this is New York! Comfort and style are the order of the day at the W. Friendly, helpful staff. Worth checking out!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hi There 2809GPL,
Thank you so much for your raving review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the Big Apple. I will share these wonderful comments with my team. We look forward to your next visit.
Warmly,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a typical W. The location is great, the Todd English resto in it is always buzzing, there's great music playing in the lobby and elevators all the time.

The rooms are another story. It's not that they are uncomfortable (W, Westin, all Starwood properties in fact have those incredible "heavenly" beds) but it just looked a little tired, as though it was really cutting-edge and cool when it first opened but could do with a little TLC now. We were upgraded to a better room, but I still found it kind of small and dark- I guess this is to be expected from a hotel in Union Square however. The bathroom was small, the showerstall was small.

There was nothing wrong with this hotel per se, but I wouldn't stay again. It wasn't cheap, and for the price I would look around for something less 'cool' and more luxurious. We had a double room (wonderful, they call it).

PS I have to say the W's Whatever, Whenever service is excellent and really lives up to its name. I broke a heel on my shoe (first world problems...) while I was out on Friday night and I called them at 2 am when I got back to the hotel. They picked them up from my room right away and had them fixed by midday the next day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Imanifesto,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us here at W New York Union Square. We appreciate all of our guests feedback as it often times points out areas of needed attention. Our hotel did undergo a recent room refresh, so all of our rooms should be in a fairly new condition. I am sorry if you found your room to be not quiet up to par. I hope you did enjoy your time in the Big Apple and we look forward to your return.