“Very Nice W Hotel in NY” 4 of 5 bubbles

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #140 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Nice W Hotel in NY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Overall, the W here in Union Square was very nice. It is different than the one in Time Square. The building is an older style so it is not as modern as the other W's in NY. The location is perfect with many nice bars and restaurants right near the hotel. It is not as hectic as the Times Square area, which was nice. The rooms are a good size and nicely decorated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Welcome Dain K,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next W experience.
Warmest Wishes,
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I visit NYC regularly and almost always stay here. The location is perfect for me and the rooms are very comfortable. The beds with the pillowtop are VERY comfortable. A hard mattress with a soft cover and great sheets.

My only complaint is that I don't love the new decor. When the hotel first opened it was contemporary but also warm and comfortable. The just redid the rooms and they went a little too modern for my taste.

But thats not a big deal. The rooms are a decent size and the service is great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Welcome HappyTraveler972,
Thank you so much for your recent review on W New York Union Square. We appreciate your feedback on our hotel. I am glad you like the W bed. I too enjoy mine at home. We look forward to your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Absolutely loved the W Union Square. Superb service; super-comfy bed in a large room, well-appointed room; great views. Love the Acura car service too. We didn't try the restaurant, and the club was closed -- but the hotel itself is terrific. Yeah, it's quite expensive (our room was 600ish a night) but quite a treat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Welcome OrderedChaos,
Thank you so much for your raving review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate it when our guests write and share their experience with us. We look forward to your next W experience.
Warmest Wishes,
Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I went to NY for a business trip last week and stayed at the W in New York Union Square. I'll start off with the good: 1) the location is fantastic, right next to Union Square and very accessible via the metro as well as fairly central to anywhere you want to go, 2) the rooms are huge and feel fairly nice and new/renovated/well taken care of.
The bad: 1) the elevator wait time is ludicrous. I would spend 2-4 minutes every morning or evening waiting for the elevator. Even at 5am when I was leaving to head to the airport, I spent about a minute waiting. It's just rather annoying. 2) The front desk decided to call me at 4am with a wake-up call on my last morning. Problem was, I didn't request a wake up call and wasn't planning on being up quite that early.

It's a perfectly nice room, and the price for a central NY location was actually pretty good, but the elevators were just a huge frustration!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank mashag82
Well Hello There Mashag82,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very sorry you had to wait for a lengthy period for our guest lifts. I will share your review with our engineering team. I know we are in the process of updating our guest lifts, I am sorry you were here during a time when they were running slow.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return to W Union Square.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

After having stayed at the W Hotel on Lexington Avenue uptown, this converted insurance company building out shown it's sister hotel. The room was upscale boutique style with a view of Union Square and beyond. The hotel restaurant, a Todd English creation "Olives," was pricey, but we returned for dinner which featured a variety of selections as did brunch (the egg-white frittata was a favorite). Finding a room with two double beds in New York is just that, a find. Unlike the Lexington Avenue location, we had plenty of room, found the staff incredibly helpful and friendly. While the location is lower Broadway, you are within walking distance of any number of colorful neighborhoods. The Union Square subway is just outside the hotel in the park.

Room Tip: Book in advance. If you are a Starwood Preferred Member, you can request free Wi-FI and a room with...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi There RobS3,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review W New York Union Square. It is always such a pleasure to read such raving reviews about our hotel. I will share these comments with my teams. We look forward to your return.
Warm Wishes,
Ayr, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed on my own for 5 nights while visiting my daughter in NYC over Thanksgiving. Usually select smaller hotels but decided to try the W as it gave me Starrwood points. Checkin was slick and staff were helpful; the lobby is always busy but in this location you have to expect that. My room was as booked on a high floor (19th), large and comfortable overlooking Union Sq., but I experienced a lot of traffic and wind noise, because the windows did not fit together.

This came to a head on my 3rd night which was very windy; I was kept awake by the 'screaming' nioise; someone came to the room to 'fix' it after I complained the following morning. This consisted of opening and closing it hard a couple of times, then jamming 2 towels in the gap between top and bottom window. It was effective but the promised proper repair never materialised and had not happened before I left, with the towels still hanging over the bottom window. Not what I expect from a hotel of this quality!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Welcome CJ'S1,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you described in your review. We appreciate all of our guests feedback as it often times pinpoints areas of needed attention. We will have a look at the seal on the windows on the 19th floor to ensure this type of disturbance doesn't happen to any other guests. Once again we appreicate you bringing this to our attention. Should leisure or business bring you back to the Big Apple, I truly hope you can give W New York Union Square another chance!
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Went for a friends wedding and had a glorious time. Staff bent over backwards to make sure everyone was looked after. We had an amazing evening. Food and drinks were delish. Amenities were spotless and extremely well kept. Perfect choice for a wedding location.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Welcome E K,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience while in our event space at your friend's wedding. I am glad you enjoyed the event. I am sure our Banquet team will be excited to read such raving reviews. We look foward to your return to W in 2013.