“A Good "W", not great, but good is good enough”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #151 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a very good hotel, which is fine. NYC has some, but not every well known hotel is all that great. This one has good sized rooms, very well appointed, an attentive staff in the lobby (although somewhat "above it all") and those good, old thick walls that make sleeping here a quiet experience, my first criteria, after no bedbugs.
I didn't eat here, so can't attest to that, but the neighborhood is preferable, for me, to mid-town which is more difficult to find slightly more relaxed restaurants. It's a great mid-point between uptown business and downtown cool.

Room Tip: I always ask for high up, no connecting and away from elevators and ice machines. Although for women...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Welcome Andrewhmm,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your review with all of us. We appreciate our guests feedback as this often times pinpoints areas of needed attention. I will share your review with our teams at our hotel. We hope that you can come back and visit us very soon.

There are newer reviews for W New York - Union Square

Reviewed October 22, 2012

After reading "I Heart NY" I absolutely wanted to stay at the W Union Square. The hotel is located in a beautiful old building and our room was very big. Bedroom with the signature W design but the bathroom defenitely needs a refurbishing. Staff at the frontdesk was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is ideally located for sightseeing. You can walk into Greenwich Village and SOHO as well as to Time Square. Several subway lines are just outside the door and there a lots of nice shops and restaurants around. I can only recommend this hotel and we will book it again for our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pitchounette73

Well Hello There Pitchounette73,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us. I absolutely loved reading your comment on when you saw the I Heart NY T Shirts that you had to stay at W New York Union Square. That is amazing. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit to the Big Apple.
Warmest Wishes,

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway... honestly wasn't what I expected! I would was expecting a bit more hip, The decor was okay, nothing really to write home about. The bathrooms were clean, but nothing out of the ordinary. I did love the BLISS spa products. That was my favorite part of the stay. The bar in the hotel is okay, but not what I'd expect for a W hotel.

It's okay! Would prefer to stay elsewhere next time!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Welcome MelissaBruno,
Thank you so much for taking the opportunity to write to us and share your recent experience with us. I am sorry that we didn't Wow you on your first visit to our hotel. We here at W Hotels strive to provide our guests with the ultimate in Whatever Whenever experience. I hope you can give us another opportunity to win you over.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have stayed at this location many times and have to say that the new decor in the rooms looks like an All Inclusive Hotel Resort Hotel in Cancun. I preferred the more luxurious look they had before but maybe the design/marketing team knows what they are doing.
They should take a look at the bathrooms. The tubs are old and white..the caulking yellow and cracked. Showers are weak..tiles and tub seems dirty and stained. I just didn't feel clean in this room. There were hairs (not mine) everywhere even right after maid "cleaned." I do think it's a great location and great service. As I have said in other reviews..I don't understand why the maid isn't the "eyes" of the room and maybe report to management that there is cracked caulking etc. No need for a manager response saying how sorry you are. It should not get to this. Your staff should catch this from the maids on up. They are in the rooms daily..are they not??? No excuse. I think of a hotel as a home away from home. Unfortunately this one needs to be refreshed before I return. Oh BTW it's not just this room. I was there in July..different room but bathroom was the same..weak shower and dated.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very nicely appointed rooms, friendly staff, great food in the restaurant. Restaurant is quite noisy though, and the front desk has misplaced my conference registration package twice now, this weekend and on my previous trip there. Worse, they lost them and could not find them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Welcome pmb55,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. We always appreciate our guests feedback. I am very sorry for the misplaced documents. This feedback is helpful for us as it will give the opportunity for our team to listen to what our guests are saying. We hope you will return to W New York Union Square in the future.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Guess I'm going to start making a habit of reviewing Starwood hotels. I've stayed at more than I can count. So why not?

This hotel is in NYC at Union Square. Yes, NYC is expensive, yes Union Square is in a good/hip area (although I can also argue that Union Square is not as safe or appealing as it used to be), yes it's a W hotel. But that should not be an excuse to see less than the perfect service, atmosphere, and design/decor that you come to expect from Starwood hotels. I give this hotel a 3 because I would rate it as a 3 star hotel.

The room decor was mediocre compare to other W hotels. Room service was average or below (the bed was made in a VERY amateur manner), hotel service (bar, front desk, concierge) was average or below, and as for cleanliness, at one point my body developed a rash while in bed.

By all means, save your points/cash and stay at another hotel in New York. These people have let their brand and location go to their head.

In fact, now that I think about it, I think I am going to change my rating to a two =)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Asail77
Helen S, Management Representative at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community. In reading your review, we are disappointed to learn this was your experience as we do not have a record of this being brought to our attention during your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the condition of your guest room. Cleanliness has always been a top priority for us and I can assure you that what you describe is not reflective of the level of service for which we are recognized. We would appreciate the opportunity to further discuss this matter at your convenience. Please feel free to reach out to us directly at GM.Christophe.Thomas@whotels.com. We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Helen Sanchez-Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2012

It was so nice being back at the W Union Square. I am starting to feel like family (lol) Gerald was there with a new title of Guest Relations Manager. He and his staff went out of their way to welcome me. My room was clean, the bed was so comfortable and the air conditioner was a delight as California was so hot this summer. I just want to say thank you to Gerald for always making sure my stay is pleasurable and unforgettable. He always has a new restaurant for me to try and I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you W Union Square!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo