“perfect location, great service”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #171 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The location is wonderful, the olives bar a lovely spot, the service and attention was flawless. The service is friendly, housekeeping quick to bring extra towels, soaps and robe, and checkout instant. The bathroom was a little old and could have been cleaner. In a hotel of this location, I am sure they have had so many people through it needs extra scrubs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Welcome JudManhattan,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am glad you had a wonderful time at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to W New York Union Square.
Warmest Wishes,
Gerald Tellez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

It doesn't get much better than this. . . ideal location, first rate accommodations, incredibly friendly and professional staff. We've tried many other hotels in Manhattan, but always gravitate back to this one . . . our absolute favorite!

Room Tip: Higher floors on the South side are quiet and have good views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Welcome Pearsoninmarin,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review on our hotel. It is always nice to hear from our frequent guests. We look forward to your next visit to the Big Apple.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spent a weekend in NY and stayed at the W. My only knock is that the windows are not soundproofed, so be prepared to hear sirens late at night. No problem for heavy sleepers, but not great for me. I travel with earplugs, though, so it was fine. Loved the design, decor, and amenities at the W, and the service was A+. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Well Hello There FootballForever,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. We really appreciate it when our guests share their experience with us. I am very sorry about the noise from the streets in the guest room. We do have rooms that are located in the back of building and away from the busy intersections of Park Ave and 17th street. Please let us know when you plan on returning so we can find something just as nice but much more quiet.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I just booked a group here and stayed myself as well. The hotel staff for the most part made the stay enjoyable. This hotel is old and tired and needs a major renovation. As a travel professional I hold hotels to the highest standard. MY STANDARD. This hotel definitely did not make the cut. The huge oversized lamp in my room was broke the shower had mold and the shower curtain? Seriously??? Who uses shower curtains anymore at high end hotels. For goodness sake if you are going to use them then get the bar that extends so when you are lathering up with soap the gross nasty curtain doesn't stick to your body. Plus the hooks were broken all but 3 of the 12 were in working order. Majorly ambarassing for a hotel that TRIES TO ACT hip. I would definitely recommend the Gramercy Park hotel but if your budget does not allow you to stay there then this will suffice. The location of this Starwood chain W hotel is the best! That's what this hotel has going for it. I would not rank it as a Virtuoso hotel one bit. Thank god they have a GREAT staff and even better location otherwise I would say skip it! Another big bonus is the green market in the square along with Whole Foods and Traders joes all within walking distance. Be careful not to pay too high of a rate here otherwise you will be extremely disappointed.

Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank chad_11
Helen S, Management Representative at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of W Union Square! It is always our wish for our guests to have a memorable stay and to hear we fell short of that goal is quite disappointing. I am absolutely embarrassed to learn of the condition of your guest room and can assure you that what you encountered is not indicative of our standards here at W Union Square, nor is it reflective of the level of service our valued guests have come to expect. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experience. We have shared your comments with our Directors of Style and Engineering so that these issues are addressed. Many thanks again for your valuable feedback! We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future for a true W experience. - Helen Sanchez, Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I am a Starwood Gold member and travel quite a bit for my job. I chose the W Union Square because it was within walking distance of my NYC office. Nice enough but not great.! The front desk staff was not as friendly as other W Hotel front desk staff have been to me. They were very indifferent. I wasnt greeted by name and I had to ask them to seek an upgrade for me (they should let me know if one is available and not make me ask). Surprise! No upgrade available. I actually had a very nice room but the shower door handle from the inside was missing. Imagine being in your hot morning shower and realizing that you cannot get the actual shower door closed. I did the best I could, leaving it open about an inch (resulting in water getting all over the shower mat and floor, making it slippery upon my exit), I also wasnt asked what newspaper I wanted delivered to me in the morning and should have been. So, my first morning, I cannot close the shower door, I have no newspaper. Life isnt rough, I can manage. Not the hugest deal in the world. I head downstairs to spend the day in my NYC office and on my way out I stop at the front desk and mention to them that I didnt receive a newspaper and that I have no way of closing my shower door. The front desk person apologized and said she would send someone right up to fix it for me. Yay, on my way to work and forget about my absent shower handle and missing newspaper. Flash forward to 6:30 PM- back from a long day at the office and head to my room. Guess what? The shower door remains unaddressed. Nothing fixed. I called the front desk and they again apologized and sent one of the engineers up to "look at it." Up comes the engineer to "look at it" and he says, "Oh yes, there is no handle. Let me see if I can find a handle for you and fix that. Ill have to look around." Off he goes. Surprise! no follow up and no shower handle. I have to take another morning shower with the shower door open and then spend another morning cleaning up the wet floor as a result of it. Seriously, W? How hard is it to fix something like this? Why did I have to repeatedly ask for assistance only to never receive any resolution? Also, my sheets had stains on them, blood stains i think. Not mine, either. You could tell the sheets were clean but seeing someone elses blood stain on them was unnerving. I will note that the room service staff was excellent. They were very helpful and on time. Nice people. I asked for two bananas for breakfast and they sent up a two peeled, cut up bananas in a bowl. Like I was a toddler or something? Must remember to be specific when requesting bananas-making note of this now.

Room Tip: Get a room that has a shower with a handle in it so you can close your shower door
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Welcome Leanne O,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with all of us. We always appreciate feedback from our guests. I am very sorry to hear about your stay with us. The lack of follow up by many members of my team is simply not acceptable. I will share this review with our members of my team. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
I hope on your next visit you will see a drastic improvement in our levels of service.
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

the location is central, the rooms are nice, decent size, clean, the hallways and common areas not so much. i also enjoyed the fitness room, its fully equipped. however, the costumer service is lacking, staff seemed indifferent and as if they couldn't be bothered. not sure if i would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Well Hello There Losangelesbest,
We appreciate all of our guests feedback as it often times pinpoints areas of needed focus. Please accept my apologies for the service that you experienced during your stay with us. We here at W Hotels strive to provide our guests with utmost in guest services. I will share these comments with our teams.
Should leisure or business bring you back to the Big Apple, I hope you can give W New York Union Square another opportunity.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was in town working on a project at Irving Plaza which was just around the corner. Overall the hotel was nice with larger rooms than many NYC hotels in which I stayed. Staff was friendly, the bar was vibrant. Gym was a bit small with three treadmills -- had to run on one this morning because of rain. Good area across from Union Square, lots of restaurants and bars in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Welcome RNP1969,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us at W New York Union Square. We appreciate your feedback on our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to your return.