“Fifth Floor”

GreenLeadersBronze level
nyc
“Fifth Floor”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I love the W Hotels, very expensive, never less than $500 a night but really wonderful. I went to the location on Union Square in New York City and at first i was not too happy that i had a room on a low floor. I know New York City very well, when you go there you want a room on the highest floor possible otherwise you cant sleep. But this location has a small balcony facing Union Square on the fifth floor, i opened the huge window and had a great party with my friends. Sometime lower is better.

Room Tip: Go on the fifth floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Welcome Tonnacchiello,
Thank you for your recent review on W New York Union Square. It is always nice to hear such raving reviews on our hotel. We look forward to your return.
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Really amazing team of people, it put my honeymoon to shame, we went to a Sandals in the Bahamas (note, don't go to the Nassau Sandals). W's beds were so comfortable, the second you picked up the phone for anything they were there, on the first ring often, calling you by name. Door man great, fresh coffee in the lobby, quick elevators. Very impressive! Little details added to the experience, Bliss products in the bathroom and fluffed up pillows.

Room Tip: 1615. No issues.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Welcome Lisa Marie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am glad we were able to Wow you on your anniversary. We look forward to your next W experience.
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Here's the breakdown:

Pros:
- Location (easy access to the East Village, Union Square and the 4,5,6)
- Toiletries (like every W) are wonderful
- Room service is delicious

Cons:
- Attitude and steadily declining service levels (especially when compared to the Le Meridien, Library and now defunct W Tuscany and W Court)
- Rooms desperately need a refresh (very late capitalism)
- Price high compared to other hotels in similar price tiers

I used to really love this hotel - it was the first W I've stayed at and five years ago was really top of the line. But my past few visits have been less than satisfactory and this one, in particular, took the cake for abysmal service. First, the staff was consistently rude and surprisingly unresponsive. Things were consistently late - for example, requesting a robe at 11:30 and getting it an hour later, or having to call twice for basics like toothpaste. On Saturday night, the front desk was unstaffed and the woman at the concierge casually informed me that I would have to wait for them to come back up. When I asked if she would call because we had been waiting for ten minutes, she told me "they saw it on the security cameras and would come up when they could." Also, despite being in the hotel for five days, the hotel couldn't figure out a way to make my keys work every single time...I ended up just getting a new key every time I finished to avoid the hassle.

Last night, I asked to place an order for room service and Whatever Whenever told me that they couldn't take my order because room service was "out." I called back and India said she couldn't help me and that they would call me when they were ready. Finally, I called the Platinum Concierge to REROUTE me to room service, which is absolutely ridiculous. The food was great but aggravation a good condiment does not make.

Terrible service plus the outdated furnishings, awful elevator traffic, unresponsive staff and dated gym have pushed me over the edge. I'm never coming back. If you have to stay in a Starwood hotel, go to the Library, Le Meridien or St. Regis. If you have the flexibility, go check out the Ace or the Setai. Just stay away from this disaster.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank gbh2001
Welcome GBH 2001,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences outlined in your review. I hope you brought up these issues with our management team, as we always like to make our guests feel comfortable and fix the situation. I will share your comments with our team. Once again we appreciate your feedback as it helps us look further into the issues and improve our services.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I love this hotel and have stayed several times over the past 8 years. The location is perfect and the service top notch.

The rooms are large by NYC standards. My only complaint - the furnishings are showing their age. This hotel is due for a remodel. Would give 5 stars otherwise.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Scotalot
Welcome Scotalot,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. You will be happy to know we are scheduled to undergo a room renovation in early 2012 which will update our look. We look forward to your return to W Union Square.
Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed here with my husband and daughter for a week. The lobby is nice and the restaurant Olives looks very nice. We didn't have dinner there but did have drinks a couple of times and was nice. The rooms are a little on the small side, specially for a family of three with a stroller and a portable crib, but we managed. The rooms were very clean and stocked with healthy snacks, drinks and even an umbrella which was great since it rained almost everyday we were there. The location is great, and having a babies r us a block away comes very handy when traveling with kids. Definitely would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Welcome
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us.
I am glad you had a wonderful time at our hotel.
We look forward to your next W experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed here on business and found it to be refreshing and extremely relaxing. Not being in the theatre district, it provided a great option near my business location on Park Ave.

The staff was welcoming and courteous. The room was spotless, and the restaurant was a nice dining experience. I would like to suggest that the restaurant expand it's menu options, but the food was still prepared very well.

I would definitely return if I need to be in this section of Manhattana again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ATLTravelBug18
Welcome ATL TravelBug 18-
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square.
It is always nice to hear such wonderful feedback about our hotel.
I will share this with my teams.

We look forward to your return!

raleigh, nc
Reviewed September 29, 2011

In this hotel’s defense, I am probably not its target guest. I am not young or hip; I favor khakis and button down shirts, subways over stretch limos and a tuna fish sandwich over tuna tartar. No one put a gun to my head and made me stay at The W on Union Square, but for the price paid, $429 a night, it came up short.

Negatives, and some are nitpicky, but I think when you shell out a grand for two nights in a 221 square foot room you have the right to be nitpicky: no upholstered side chair in Room 616, as pictured on the hotel’s website for their entry level class of room, the “Wonderful Room.” There was a suitable desk chair, but that was it. … the desk clerk struggled with English and had a dickens of a time communicating with me in order to locate my reservation even though I handed her a piece of paper with my confirmation number and name. … my first two keycards did not work in the elevator. … there is no ramp from the street entrance to the front desk, just stairs, which means rolling luggage is of little benefit. … the really neat looking radio in my room did not work and when I called for assistance no one could explain to me how it worked. … the water control in the shower would not permit a strong flow of moderately hot water: the choice was excellent pressure of scalding hot water, or a trickle of enjoyably hot water. … the mattress pad was a couple of inches too short, head and foot, for the bed, which was not conducive for a good night’s sleep. … plenty of lamps, but lighting was too dim at night for work. … view from my window was into a generally grim back interior of the hotel.

Positives: housekeeping was polite, accommodating and worked around my schedule. … I felt safe on the property. … room service breakfast was delivered on time. … well renovated, repurposed 100-year old building, with significant architectural integrity preserved.

Would I have voiced these complaints had I paid $275-to-$325 a night, which is pretty standard in Manhattan for a comfortable, well-located room? Probably not, but I do think I paid too much in relation to what I received, and value is important to me. In fact, it is the single most important factor in selecting a place to spend my money, or when recommending to others where they spend theirs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank on-the-cheap
Welcome W Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences outlined in your review. I truly hope you brought these issues to the attention of our Welcome Office, as we always try to accommodate our guests and improve our level of service. I am very happy to inform you that in early 2012 we are undergoing a room refresh which will update our look. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.