“Amazing Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of W New York - Union Square

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
W New York - Union Square
Ranked #138 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Halifax
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

This was our first trip to NYC and the staff at the hotel made this a fantastic experience. The concierge was extremely helpful in suggesting restaurants/sights/locations and also in securing great reservations even at the last minute. The room we had was very clean and the doormen always had great advice for navigating the city. The location of this hotel is perfect for walking to almost all destinations. Next time we are in NYC we will stay at the W Union Square.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Welcome First Time NYC Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience.
I truly appreciate reading guests reviews such as yours. Our Concierge and Door Ambassadors always try to go above and beyond for our guests to ensure they recieve a true Whatever Whenever NY experience. We all look forward to your next W Union Square visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

SPG Gold Status member. Booked a mega room via spg.com. Upon arrival was asked (by the most darling front desk attendant) if I could wait until 3 PM and that it would be worth it. I did, and what I was given was beyond my expections. An amazing high floor corner one bedroom suite. Room was spotless, as were the two bathrooms.

Room service fantastic.

Private entrance to Underbar.

I have to say, I have stayed at many, many W's in my time, always happy with them, but this one is top notch.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Welcome SPG Gold Member,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with everyone.
It is always nice to hear such raving news about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the Extreme Wow suite and our "Insider" access to UnderBar.

We look forward to your return to W Union Square.
bot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

I would stay here again without hesitation. From check in to check out, the customer service was outstanding. The staff is friendly and helpful, even providing complimentary transportation to short distances in a chauffered Acura. We did not get to try the restaurant,as there are many sorrounding the hotel. (The location is unbeatable) But the bar off the lobby was very nice and lively. The hotel itself is very modern and clean. Accomodations were without fault. I cannot say enough about the W union square. I will definately be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Welcome Loyal W Guest,
We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at W New York Union Square. It was nice to hear feedback about our team. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Gerald Tellez
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

First trip to New York and stayed a week on business with colleagues.

Hotel just simply couldn't have been better - staff especially were excellent - so thank you! My personal favourite moment in the hotel was when I asked if the concierge might be able to find a digi cam to borrow as I had forgotten mine and she produced some complimentary black and white disposables for me - what a great touch.

Rooms are big and the beds massive and comfy, showers always had perfect hot water and decent pressure.

My ONLY complaint is the $15 a night WiFi charge - come on guys this is just silly in this day in age. WiFi is, however, free in the bar and restaurant area so I can't complain too much. Can't wait to retun in June

2 Thank vedev
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Welcome W Loyal Guest,
We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at W New York Union Square and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in the Big Apple. I am glad our concierge team was able to Wow you with a camera. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. We appreciate the feedback!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

I purchased a room for my friends to stay during their anniversary weekend. I received a note a few days before the date from the “W Insider” team asking me if there was anything they can do to make my stay more enjoyable (dinner reservations, etc.). I mentioned that the room was for my friends and I thought they would enjoy the W service. The W Insider team (Christopher Thomas and Elizabeth Baker) took the initiative to add their names to the reservation, gave them a double upgrade to a mega room and provided a complimentary anniversary amenity (Champaign and chocolate covered strawberries). Now that’s a hotel that knows the meaning of service. I’ve always be happy at W Hotels put personal touches like this really widen the gap between good and great hotels. The W Hotel in Union Square is a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello There W Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your W experience with all of us.
It is always nice to hear such great comments on the level of service we provided.
I will share the wonderful news with our W Insiders. I am glad your friends had a wonderful time at our hotel. We look forward to your return to our W.

Warmest Wishes,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stay often at this hotel and have reviewed it before, but just wanted tosubmit an update because they just keep amazing and delighting me. In many meaningful ways, the extraordinary management and staff anticipate and address every need. They make me feel like the W Union Square is my home away from home. Many thanks to Christophe and his entire magnificent team. Bravo!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Public Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Welcome Mr. Ford,
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. It is always nice to hear wonderful feedback from our loyal guests. I will share the great comments with my team.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

W New York - Union Square was the first hotel I stayed in New, and I had in fact a very nice stay.
Check in was quick and efficient, and I was quickly in the lift heading to a high floor room.
The room was big (according to my standard which is mainly London, where they may classify as a suite something over 250sqf -or even less-).

Then I waited for a colleague who arrived 2 days before, but was leaving the Hilton Millennium due to the noise associated to ground zero building site. (to be honest this Hilton is a better choice for us since our NYC offices are located in the World Financial Center Just across ground zero building site)

As soon as he checked, direction Concierge to book a table at the strip house for 3, my boss had called to ask what were the plan for the night (very good steak and usual poor/amateurish service you can expect in NYC, strangely enough only in Restaurant).

For me and my colleague as 2 French persons (our boss is English) the most important part of the day was done (securing food) we headed for the UNDERBAR, so we passed near the Fitness room (not very attractive, but I am not a sport person) which looks very attractive base on some reviews for our first G&T, this was a disappointment, dark and gloomy, mainly looked like the interior of a bunker (and we were nearly the only ones).
No problem then up to the bar in the lobby, where we were supposed to meet our boss (and our 2nd G&T) the place is heaving looks so trendy, really a place to see (and be seen ?, will leave this one to NYC residents)

after a third G&T... (no we stopped at 2, we were having dinner with our boss, you may have a look at Strip House New York for more info -but still not written-) we headed for dinner (we had the 3rd one back in the hotel).

the location is great, Tube/Subway? is just round the corner and as soon as you understand how it works you can be anywhere in Manhattan within minutes.

and if you want something special you can get have a look at the Union Square Farmer's Market (Mon,Wed,Fri,Sat looked at internet to give accurate information) the market is across the street and provide quite a choice of food from the New-England and Canada as well as American natives art)

Very good as well for the one, who do not like restaurant on their own, there is a Whole Food across the square (for the non US reader, Whole Food is a grocery/supermarket providing normal vegetable, take away foods AND a dining area and microwave after the tills. My favourite choice on a city tour.

Checkout was very efficient and it was time for fly back to Germany for a week before visiting the Waldorf Astoria.

Final judgement:
I will definitely recommend the place, (without GF, except if she looks like a top model, since a lot of girls in the lobby bar do look like it)
localisation is perfect.

only issue was the price, got a lot of more enjoyable stays at at other (Starwood) properties in NYC/NJ, However this place may be attractive for me but not other people (W Hoboken, stay tuned)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
Well Hello There Loyal W Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with all of us.
We always appreciate feedback from our guests. I have shared this review with all the members of our team. I am glad you had a wonderful time at our W.

We look forward to your return!

Warmest Wishes,