“Lower east side experience...”

Lower East Side History Project Walking Tours
Ranked #100 of 625 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Lower East Side History Project is an award winning non-profit organization dedicated to research, education and preservation.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lower east side experience...”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Eric was fantastic...he was very informative but in an informal kind of way. It never seemed as though we were being rushed...he was willing to answer any and all questions whether they were related to the tour or not...We were extremely pleased with the whole experience and would highly recommend it to others.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Scott G

Whitby, Ontario
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent tour!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We took the Mafia tour on Jun 21st and Eric was a knowledgeable and personable guide. This was the most interesting tour I've ever been on and I could have kept going after our time was up! Eric really knows his stuff and I love listening to people who are passionate about something! We went all over the LES learning where all the mobsters lived and died. I've recommended the tour to everyone back home here and I shall take another tour from the LESHP the next time I'm in NYC.

1 Thank bren1519
Florida
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“If you can take only one NY tour, this is the one”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We've done dozens of walking tours all over the world, and this was by far the best one we've ever taken. Also the best thing we did in NY.

Wanted to take the Mafia (I know there is no such thing, but since this is a word many people recognize, I'm using it) tour. Didn't work out with our schedule, so booked a private tour at a VERY reasonable fee (less than we paid for some pretty bad public tours). Some of the best vacation money we ever spent.

The guy (Eric) knows his stuff. It was two hours of narration in a variety of places many of the other tours don't go (at one point, he got a locked bar to open up so we could look around). He knew his subject, didn't have an axe to grind, and genuinely enjoyed what he did.

If you want to learn about NY and its history and walk around town with a guide who knows the area and its history, this is a must do.

1 Thank Klomo
Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“My Favorite Activity and a Real NYC Bargain”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We did the Mafia walking tour on our recent trip to NYC. My husband and I are both interested in mob history, and thought this would be a great way to walk the neighborhood that was Little Italy and learn more about the topic.

Eric, our guide, as others have said, really knows his stuff. You can tell he has a passion for the topic and is well read. I especially like that he is trying to clear up misconceptions or wrong beliefs about the Mafia.

We did the private tour, with my husband and a friend of mine who lives in the City. That was a great experience (and a really great bargain!), as Eric was willing to show us anything we had a particular interest in and answered any question we had.

Eric's orientation is very balanced and pragmatic. And his knowledge of the entire Little Italy and topic is impressive.

My husband and I have taken a number of walking tours in cities all over the world, but this is probably my favorite of all of them. My friend who lives in the City said that if he has visitors come from out of town, he will definitely take them on this tour.

If you even have the slightest interest in the Mafia, do yourself a favor and take this tour. You will be pleased you did and if you could plan it so that you can eat at one of the few remaining authentic Italian restaurants in Little Italy, that Eric will point out, for dinner. That was the perfect end to the perfect tour.

1 Thank FloridaTravelDr
Calgary
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Personalized historical tour of the lower east side”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We organized a private 2 hour tour for two with Eric Ferrara. We wanted to learn about the history and development of China Town, Little Italy and the Jewish district. Eric gave us what we asked for and more. Eric researches and writes books on NY history and consults for movies and TV, so he knows, and loves, the history of NY. This is well worth the time and money if you want to get to know NY on a more intimate level. Eric's family name was sprinkled about Little Italy. I think he said that they were 8th generation NY'ers.

1 Thank Heather E